Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Yes, there is a need. It is irresponsible to ignore really bad advice like "try smacking your dog".
Old 06-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Yes, there is a need. It is irresponsible to ignore really bad advice like "try smacking your dog".
Oh lord, please don't try to turn this into one of THOSE threads. Worked just fine for my Chevelle, so maybe it could work for others. Just because it is really bad advice to YOU, doesn't mean it's bad for other people.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Keegan goes into his zoomies still on an almost daily basis, LOL, including today. For the most part I don't mind it and do actively encourage it, but what I don't like is that he does jump up and nip at me. So when he jumps up and grabs me, I stop him (hold his collar) and wait a few seconds until he calms down. It took a while - maybe like 20 seconds - for him to get himself under control when he was younger, but now he knows the drill and he knows that he when he calms down he gets to go zoomie again.

So as long as he's watching his mouth, I encourage him to zoom, but when he starts mouthing he has to stop and calm himself before he can go again.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
There was really no need to reply to what I said or "doubt" that that's what worked in the first place. I asked if she had tried it, and stated it worked for me and it did.

Some great advice has been given, though.
The only reason I replied was because this sounds like a horrible idea. Her dog is reacting pretty bad to something. The dog is already lunging, jumping and mouthing on her arm. You are telling someone to smack an already reactive dog.

Also I WAS NOT replying to you I'm quoting what you have said to make **** sure that the person who is asking the question sees what I had to say about that horrible bit of 'advice'. Yes they can try your 'advice' but I want them to know it IS a bad idea to smack a reactive dog. An ALREADY worked up, reactive dog at that.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Oh lord, please don't try to turn this into one of THOSE threads. Worked just fine for my Chevelle, so maybe it could work for others. Just because it is really bad advice to YOU, doesn't mean it's bad for other people.
Honestly I don't care if it worked or not. It is horrible advise to smack a dog. If I were going to hire a trainer and they mentioned that there is no way in hell inwould even consider them and in fact, I can't imagine any person who is in the least but dog savvy hiring them, may want to think about that.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Kaydee

IMHO only...don't want to wade through a war-zone...IMHO dogs, cats, human kids, human adults that experience corporal punishment of any kind will act it out on somebody else down the road...that's not a good thing
Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Blackout

Safe to say these fits are a mixture of zoomies and reactivity (to something)
They aren't very consistent - absolutely FOR SURE after a big round of play/high level of excitement. But otherwise there's not really something in particular that sets it off (at least I think) - because they have occurred in all different spots of the neighborhood/town that we've walked.

I wish I could say it was lawnmowers or SUV's or fire hydrants that get her all worked up and that she's reacting to - but it doesn't seem like the case.

She's 7 months, and again - her mouthing I think is a mixture of play, confusion, stress, and perhaps anxiety if she really is reacting to something that makes her scared?

Ok, we're heading out soon - if it happens again this walk I'm going to get her to focus and sit first - and do a number of sits and "focus on me/the walk" things before we go any further. If she really doesn't focus though and is just too far off the meter then I guess I'll just let her get it out of her system as long as she watches her mouth? If it gets really bad then I guess there's no other recourse at the moment then tethering her again till she calms down. My new trainer will be assessing her early the week of the 17th as she's all booked up this week and hopefully we can work on something to help.

And yeah, smacking her would turn the scenario into a very messy picture quickly I believe as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Well. It worked for me. Which is proof that it's not "horrible advice". I agree that physically agitating an already amped up dog will only amp them up more in most a cases, but like I said, it worked for me and I was giving the OP advice based on my own experience.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
IMHO only...don't want to wade through a war-zone...IMHO dogs, cats, human kids, human adults that experience corporal punishment of any kind will act it out on somebody else down the road...that's not a good thing
Not all the time...

Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Honestly I don't care if it worked or not. It is horrible advise to smack a dog. If I were going to hire a trainer and they mentioned that there is no way in hell inwould even consider them and in fact, I can't imagine any person who is in the least but dog savvy hiring them, may want to think about that.
Just gonna go ahead and say I agree with her points in this thread

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13