Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Default Cop forced to shoot K9 partner after attack

Link

I can think of a hundred "But Why...?" questions about this situation, but I guess I'll never really understand the circumstances.

When I first read the article somewhere else, I was under the impression that they were in the office, with the vet, trying to restrain the dog or something. I guess he was only trying to get the dog out of the car.

Something tells me that the autopsy will either reveal a serious medical condition, or signs of physical abuse.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Felurian

If this dog was handled like I've seen some of the K9s here handled . . . it doesn't surprise me at all

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 AM
*Now with Snark*

There are so many things that could have caused this from negligent handling, crappy dog for the job, poor training, burnout, to serious medical condition. I'd like to hear what the necropsy happens to say.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 AM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
There are so many things that could have caused this from negligent handling, crappy dog for the job, poor training, burnout, to serious medical condition. I'd like to hear what the necropsy happens to say.

This. There are sooo many possibilities... if the dog was showing aggressive tendencies, IMO he should have been muzzled. Even if they didn't predict he would turn on his handler, it's proper form to muzzle K9s at the vet anyhow and I think he should have been muzzled beforehand.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:11 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post

This. There are sooo many possibilities... if the dog was showing aggressive tendencies, IMO he should have been muzzled. Even if they didn't predict he would turn on his handler, it's proper form to muzzle K9s at the vet anyhow and I think he should have been muzzled beforehand.
As I understood the story he was unloading him out of the car to go into the vet. The dog didn't want to unload so the handler tried to bait him out with a tug or bite pillow and the dog went for a dirty bite on the handler. It's really hard to say without knowing the history of what exactly was going on or how unpredictable that behavior was or how fast it manifested. It's also really hard to say how skilled the handler was.

If one of my dogs went for me after 5 years of everyday ownership I know it would certainly catch me off guard.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Just wanted to add, that Gunner was his first k9. So the handler had 4-5 years experience.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
Just wanted to add, that Gunner was his first k9. So the handler had 4-5 years experience.
Article says:
Quote:
The 23-year veteran K9 handler was attacked by the dog,
I took that to mean he had 23 years of experience. Or does that mean he is only 23 years old?

Either way, sorry situation all around. I'm always saddened, though, that a dog that is clearly unstable (from whatever cause, be it the dogs fault or not) is allowed to continue to be part of a K9 unit. But then again, I also know nothing about police dogs, so that's coming from the mouth of an ignorant public person. LOL

Old 06-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

*blackrose, the other article that I read (I'll pull it up if I can, I'm on my phone) stated that he is a 23 year veteran of the department, but only 5 years as a k9 handler. I don't know if they got that wrong, but that's what it said.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I do believe that there may be something seen in the necropsy.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Wait, here's what I want to know, he was taking the dog to the vet for "aggression issues", so why wasn't the dog put in a muzzle, for safety, before they even left to go to the vets? Seems like the logical thing to do, or am I over thinking things? It most certainly would have prevented the injuries to the handler at least.