Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Big Dog

Default Canny collar

Has anyone tried this and have any input on it? I am just looking for something that will work for Rolyx until I can get him trained better to walk on the leash...he pulls, very hard and it hurts my arm/shoulder a lot. I have used a head halti and halti harness and though it cuts it down, it still hurts quite a bit. The canny looked like it may be a little more effective because it corrects directly under the head, rather than allowing too much pull from the side like the head haltis. He is also learning to turn his body slightly to the side giving himself more leverage.

I have also tried walking and stopping, which does nothing....I think that'll improve over time when he gets better at focusing on me, but for now I am just looking for something to use so he doesn't have to miss out on his walks and won't hurt me in the process.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Big Dog

Thanks anyway, guess I'll just take a chance and hope it helps. Take care
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

I've never heard of a canny collar. Link/pictures???
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

If it's a pain issue for you, you might try one of those bungee type leashes that gives when the dog pulls. Ultimately training is key, but it might give you some temporary relief in the mean time. I don't like head collars for pulling issues (they have their uses but I don't like them on dogs that pull). Or you could try a prong. But nothing will fix it withotu training.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Glutton for Crazy

http://www.cannyco.us/

Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Top Dog

So...how is this different than just putting the collar high on the neck? Is the nose loop supposed to keep it up high or what? It's just not making a whole lot of sense to me at the moment...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

It's supposed to work off pressure I guess to restrict pulling via the nose. Similar to like...a bitless bridle for horses. I don't particularly care for it, I don't think it would work "right" the way it is designed.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
and Fozzie B!

Have you tried a front-clip harness? Those will actually turn him around, and I find are the safest and most helpful no-pull training tool. Honestly, I walk even the most excitable, obnoxious Great Danes using a simple, soft rope slip lead adjusted with a leash stopper to stay at the top of their neck. And I'm pregnant! No pain or strain at all. Keep the dog engaged with you! You might want to restrict him to heeling at your left side in between practicing loose leash walking. I understand that playing "be a tree" gets super old and sometimes you feel like you can't even walk your dog, so in those instances I'll walk at a quick pace with the dog in a "forced heel" while giving lots of treats and praise for eye contact and not pulling (as in, I give them only enough leash slack to be right on my left side for much of the walk, with breaks where I play be a tree and let the dog sniff around and go potty). Keeping a dog on your left side with the leash properly adjusted at the top of the neck makes it super easy on your arm! The further he is ahead of you, pulling, the more tiring it is to hold him back. Working with your dog is much easier the more tired out they are. If you can, wear him out with a game of fetch or tug before going on a walk so he's less hyped up to pull.

Carry a treat bag with hotdog/chicken/cheese chunks and a clicker on walks! Click/treat for loose leash, eye contact and moving into the heel position! Play "Be a tree" religiously! Practice in the house and yard! It's annoying AF when you first start, but teaching him a loose leash walk for life is worth all the trouble.

Head halters really fail with smart, determined dogs. They learn how to angle their head and keep pulling. I don't like them for strong dogs who pull... they can cause serious whiplash. In that sense, a canny collar would be safer. But, all you really need is a Mendota slip lead adjusted to stay at the very top of the neck.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Top Dog

My preferred method is the "go the other way" method. Dog goes to the end of the lead, turn around and go the other way. Rinse and repeat. You must be consistent to have the results stick. You might look kind of dumb on the side of the road but it works. It doesn't matter what collar you use.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Big Dog

This is really only meant as a temporary solution until Ro and I can get on the same level for walks on a regular collar. He has serious focus problems outside [even for food], but we are working on it [starting inside]...it takes time and I am just looking for ways to continue his walks in the meantime.

I really don't know a lot about prong collars...I have read some threads on them and was nervous about using it incorrectly. I would consider them more if I felt more confident how to select them, how to use them properly, etc..

Thanks all, and thanks ihart for the extra tips on working with him...you gave me some great ideas to try as we progress and I appreciate that greatly. Crazed, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about the 'go the other way' method, is there a link or thread on that I could read in more detail? I have read on the walk and stop method, but not sure if that's the same or totally different from what you are talking about.