Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
Hehe... While we were practicing formal obedience heeling - the advice given to me was "DON'T LOOK AT THE DOG!" lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I was told not to look at the dog while teaching her to heel. When I asked, "Then how will I know when to click?" the trainer said, "Click when she's in position."

BUT I CAN'T SEE HER! D:
LOL!

To clarify, I don't mean look at the dog specifically during specific exercises, but, look at the dog. Like, the dog decides what is reinforcing. LOOK at the dog. Don't see what you think the dog is doing or how you expect him to react, LOOK at him.

Maybe a better way of putting it is observe the dog?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Every time you interact with your dog, see it as an opportunity for training.

In my own words, since there's a consequence to every behavior, think about what consequence you want to provide. It actually becomes pretty nearly automatic.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Relax.

Stop over-thinking it.

Have fun.

Mostly in that order. I tend to get all wound up, anxious, trying to be superwoman and I forget all the basics and then it's just no fun for me or the dog. For a long time, I had to stop training sessions all together and just work with it during play time. Throw in a random sit for a tug or something, rather than trying to get all serious and overthink everything. Someone on here gave me that advice, actually.

Another one I think has already been mentioned: Leave it on a good note, even if it's something simple.

As far as dog advice in general....

Nutrition
Hydrogen Peroxide
Dyson
Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM
BusterLove

"Make your problem the dogs problem.", "Don't work to the dog" and "Lifes short - enjoy your dog."

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Are you dead yet?

"If you love her, let her be"

Basically what my dog's breeder told me when I got Eve as a puppy, and what she was really saying was that I shouldn't micro-manage my dog, but rather let her be and allow her to learn on her own, to learn to problem-solve and think for herself rather than just following me while I do all the thinking.

I couldn't be more grateful for that advice. Raising puppies is so much easier for me now that I have learned to "pick my battles". I lay down a few ground rules when the pup first arrives, things that I will always intervene if I catch the pup doing, but the rest of my pup's world will not be filled with "hey, no, no, what are you doing, puppy, puppy, hey, puppy, no, no no". Praise the positive, and pick your battles with the bad. The pup gets a chance to interact with their environment without any input from me, and it makes them wiser, I think.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

Oh I remember another one. It came from the breeder of my Doberman. She said, "Let your puppy be a puppy." I thought that was a good one because sometimes we tend to get too serious and worried about training and want them to grow up too fast.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson