Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Gundogs and working dogs - generally speaking. Breeds which needed to be listening out for commands.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

my german shepherds, I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in years
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Grace, the stafford, is very much a love bug to everyone. She's never met a person she doesn't like and she is very physical (and sometimes even vocal) with her affection. But I think that's different to the kind of 'into-ness' that is display by some of the working and gundogs. They seem to be waiting for your next move in order to do something and to get the opportunity to work with you.

Whereas Grace just likes cuddles, belly rubs and crawling into your lap. She really couldn't give a toss if I want her to 'do something'... unless I motivate her to do so. I'm not sure if that distinction makes sense? Edit - sorry, I should say that I have to really, really motivate her to want to work with me... of course dogs need to have the motivation, but it seems to be a trait that some dogs/breeds/types are more predisposed to.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Top Dog

I feel like Keegan (smooth collie) literally worships me.

To me there's a fine line between healthy velcro dog and SA/neurotic velcro dog. Keegan's more on the healthy side: when I leave the room he wants to come with me, when there are strangers around he's friendly to them but comes to me if I ask him to (I've never formally trained a recall, LOL), if I leave the house he barks/whines and waits for me to come back.

BUT if I leave him in his crate, he's fine *knock on wood*. Rarely a peep, settles down and just goes to sleep. If I go out somewhere and leave him in the car, he watches for me, but he can also settle and lay down and wait patiently. He's definately upset that I'm gone, would rather I not be gone, but also he can handle being left alone.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
To me there's a fine line between healthy velcro dog and SA/neurotic velcro dog.
I think this is a good point. Bailey and I have an amazing bond. He is super fun to train, (almost always) listens well and he can be off leash anywhere. He always keeps tabs on me. He's my heart dog for sure.

He also has separation anxiety. He's okay being alone in the house (e.g., when he gets dropped off after daycare), but it's hard for him when *I* leave him. He's getting better (we work on it), slowly but surely, but it's hard for him. And it's a big reason I was very, very clear when I was looking for #2 that I wanted a confident dog.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Mitch & Erin

I've heard that schnauzers want nothing except to please their masters. Cthulhu seems to be getting there. He freaks a bit when i step outside to smoke.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Blackout

Gundogs, Retrievers, Herders, Shepherds, and (most) lapdogs of course. Generally any breed that was meant to work with people I find.

Guard dogs, sighthounds, scent hounds and lots of working breeds I find abit more on the aloof side (but that is just personal though)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 AM
I'm All Ears

This is my favorite quote about papillon velcro-ness.

Quote:
While papillons are busy, hardy, and athletic dogs, they are also very sensitive dogs. After all this breed has had a thousand years to perfect its relationship with humans. Be prepared for the next 15 years of your life to be spent with two bright, brown eyes staring at you, waiting for you to play. Don't expect to spend a waking moment alone again; not when you're cooking dinner, reading a book, not even when you're in the bathroom. Papillons are truly only happy when they are with the people they love.
I also love how affectionate my guys are (and all the others I've had too). They seem to be a lot more touchy feely and overly into me as opposed to the shelties. Some people might find that obnoxious though.