Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Kaydee

Border collie, herding, highly intelligent, crack-head energetic, beautiful, highly trainable...did I mention energy to spare??? AmStaff, supposed to be people and property protective but even if they're afraid of their own shadow they are imposing looking, real people pleasers so easy to train, strong with high endurance for exercise...
Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm All Ears

I thought GSD though could be pushing the size thing.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Working line female would be smaller. I know one that is 48 lbs. Kastle, my boy, is 62 - hoping he'll mature out to 70 though...
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Knox is around 60ish pounds. Most of that is muscle. He's tiny for a GSD, but his height is within standard. He's a pocket rocket though, lol
Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
So like all crazy, masochistic dog people, now that my crazy-ass puppy has finally settled in and we've found our groove, it's time to start planning for ruining it with the next dog! LOL This will not happen for at least 1-2 years, but you know, it's never too early to start planning like a big weirdo.

So what am I looking for...

-Medium+ sized, 40-65lbs 60lbs
-Social to neutral with strange dogs Mostly neutral, sometimes social when intro properly
-Social to neutral with strange people Very people social, but will bark and is stand offish with some people, very small children and very large men mostly
-High food and toy drives Food not as much, but toy, YES
-High energy How high? We have very high
-Barking is fine (what's one more?) Alert mostly
-Biddable If you're fair
-Coat must be easy - no clipping/real grooming. Long coated is fine as long it's not burr and stick magnet. I don't mind brushing out or shedding, but no fine coats that mat or grow indefinitely, please. Swipe, Swipe, done. But watch for the mud...
-Deterrent appearance Oh yeah, sadly
-Territorial/protective is big bonus is at times
-Physical health important, not just in terms of genetic conditions but also the ability to be fitted up and handle lots of physical work, so athletic as well You want it, I got it!
-AKC or at least UKC reg would be nice, as I really do enjoy my OB and there are no ASCA trials around here Both

Would be looking at OB, Agility, bitework if applicable and I have the time/money, herding if applicable, etc, and just about anything else I find interesting, so a versatile dog is a big plus.

Right now I have a few ideas floating... any flavor of Belgian from the right lines could work, maybe a Kelpie... I'm open to dogs outside of the herding group if they fit, as well.

Ready? GO!
You described...ENDA A Beauceron might be worth looking into.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Was going to say Belgian before you mentioned it Or maybe Dobie...from good lines?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Mitch & Erin

Schnauzer all the way. They meet pretty much everything your looking for, except for maybe the coat. Idk how bad they are with burrs
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Top Dog

Well you already know what I think

Belgians should be ideally neutral towards strangers. But like any breed who should be "reserved " or "aloof", you can get dogs who are a bit more extreme and who don't want to be touched or even more extreme, won't tolerate it. You can also get overly friendly dogs. I have had and known Belgians in the whole range but careful selection and proper socialization and training can go a long way in getting the sort of dog you want.

I don't think I have ever had a Belgian get tired and quit on me while doing something active. They have energy to spare and are pretty much always up for doing stuff but they should be able to chill in the house too, especially adults who are getting enough interaction and exercise. They are definitely biddable but they aren't Goldens. They have a sense of what is or isn't fair and they are clever about recognizing patterns. Some can be handler soft, some aren't as much but most are more sensitive than the average GSD. They should have more than enough toy and food drive, although like Elsie some aren't as big on food.

Barkyness - some are and some aren't. I think they almost all are big alert barkers and will definitely let you know what is going on around your house. Whim spends a lot of her inside time laying over the back of the couch watching out the window for something to happen.

Deterrent? Well the Black ones look like the G'Mork from Neverending Story...

They are easily able to get fit, they are pretty athletic and should never be big or cumbersome. They tend to stay very physically sound into old age. My 13 year old just was BOS three days in a row at the show a couple weeks ago against much younger bitches and her mother is 17 1/2 and still able to get around without being on drugs. They aren't prone to crippling arthritis or CCL injuries and even the ones I have known with HD have been asymptomatic into old age. Correct coat on the hairy Belgians is about as wash and wear as you can get with a hairy dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yeah, most male GSDs are going to be in the 60+ lb range for sure. A nice working line GSD does seem to fit most of the criteria but I consider the breed pretty iffy with other dogs. While some get along fine, serious dog aggression especially household SSA isn't at all uncommon in the breed and can be found in all lines. It is the reason I no longer have GSDs even though they had been my lifelong favorite breed and I think it would be an issue for Emily too. There can be SSA issues in all breeds but IME Belgians are much less likely to be as dead serious about fighting as a GSD. I had three GSDs and all were dog aggressive to some degree, the male was SSA and one of the girls was too. When those dogs would fight, they would grab for the face/neck of the other dog, get good grip and not let go. They are scary serious in a fight. My other girl was dog reactive to strange dogs. She and the male were half siblings and the other girl was totally unrelated.

While I have heard of occasional Belgians who are SSA, it isn't nearly as widespread IME. And with the exception of a couple, talking to people who've had them they are not near as serious about eliminating the competition as a GSD. Even the boys who are rivals don't tend to go at each other with the sort of force I have seen from GSDs, they more talk about it and try to out macho each other. I know quite a lot of Belgian people who have multiple girls or boys and the dogs can all be out together. Just about GSD person I knew thought I was crazy for thinking I could have all my dogs loose together in the house (it worked for a little while...).
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

I forgot to say initially... it's going to be a boy boy boy. No more bitches for a while here. *looks at Keeva* LOL She's not SSA but I imagine that I would just be asking for problems if I got another bitchy bitch. So that kind of rules of breeds in which the females just make the size cut off.

Plus I want a big goopy boy that wants to live in my pocket and constantly molests me. LOL

Old 06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post

Well so far it seems like you guys a pushing for something that's either Dutch or Belgian... LOL
Well now, somehow that makes me want chocolate.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team