Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Mitch & Erin

Default Doggy Bones

Hey everybody. I got Cthulhu a rawhide bone, but he doesn't seem to care about it. I was thinking about getting him a real bone, but I don't want to get one that splinters.

What are some of your favorite NON-SPLINTERING dog bones?

As always, Muchas Gracias.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Never give cooked bones.

Raw bones are okay.

I use bully sticks and Himalayan Chews. Not a fan of most rawhides - lots of blockages.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Kaydee

I like moose antler, a little expensive but they last a long time. Sometimes I get Busy Bones too. The ultimate size is good for strong chewers.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Wookie Collie

Smoked (NOT cooked, smoked) bones can be good for the right dog, but I suggest supervision, especially at first. Finnegan does just fine on them, but he's not a really aggressive chewer.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 PM
and Fozzie B!

All cooked/smoked/dry bones in any way are dangerous, IMO. I used to trust the smoked bones you buy at pet stores... I mean, they're made for pets right?! But $500 in Vet bills and watching your dog's butt explode with blood is not worth the risk. I also used to buy the "sterilized", cooked marrow bones stuffed with peanut butter at the pet store, until Fozzie got one stuck on his lower jaw and almost had to go to the Vet to get it removed. So then, the only type of "cooked" bone I would buy is cow hooves, as my dogs love them and I didn't think they were hard enough to do any damage. Fozzie cracked his molar on one the other day (which is still bleeding ) so I'll never be feeding those again and I'll have to pay $1000 for my mistake.

I'm really not accident prone with my dogs, they're VERY healthy, and I'm VERY obsessive about supervising them. But time and time again, when ever I feed any kind of pet store bone my dogs suffer for it and I have learned my lesson forever. I find it disgusting that pet stores continue to sell these bones, despite the huge risk involved.

My dogs eat raw meaty bones daily as their main diet, and have for years. I've never had an incident with raw bones, and they do the best teeth cleaning & provide the best jaw work out. I'm careful to never feed thick weight-bearing bones (even chicken or turkey quarters), and I do not feed the bones of large ungulates like cows as they are not readily digestible and are hard enough to damage teeth. I feed raw chicken/turkey/duck/goose carcasses, necks, & wings; pork ribs, necks, feet, & shoulder; whole fish; lamb shank, necks, & ribs; whole rabbits and whole game hens with absolute confidence and peace of mind. The only pet store chews that I will feed my dogs are Zukes, Greenies, Bully sticks, Lamb/pig ears, Cow esophagus, Cow tails, and Pig snouts.

I have never & will never feed rawhides. The little compressed rawhide sticks that a dog can eat in 3 seconds are fine. But, real rawhide can cause insane blockages, bloat and death. I was telling my friend not to give her Pit Bull puppy rawhide... she gave him the biggest rawhide bone you can find! And he ate it ALL in one sitting. He had to get surgery, and $1000 later, he's fine & she will never feed rawhide again. D: Poor pup.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Lord Cynical

RMBs here (raw meaty bones) - safe, cheap and healthy!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
RMBs here (raw meaty bones) - safe, cheap and healthy!
RMBs here for the most part, for the record - with bully sticks, antlers and the odd smoked bone thrown in.

RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

RMBs, my dogs also like antlers but Gavroche powers through them in no time. Bully sticks are a nother favorite, as well as tracheas, non-smoked pig and sheep ears, pig snouts, tendons and cow snouts.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 AM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
All cooked/smoked/dry bones in any way are dangerous, IMO. I used to trust the smoked bones you buy at pet stores... I mean, they're made for pets right?! But $500 in Vet bills and watching your dog's butt explode with blood is not worth the risk. I also used to buy the "sterilized", cooked marrow bones stuffed with peanut butter at the pet store, until Fozzie got one stuck on his lower jaw and almost had to go to the Vet to get it removed. So then, the only type of "cooked" bone I would buy is cow hooves, as my dogs love them and I didn't think they were hard enough to do any damage. Fozzie cracked his molar on one the other day (which is still bleeding ) so I'll never be feeding those again and I'll have to pay $1000 for my mistake.

I'm really not accident prone with my dogs, they're VERY healthy, and I'm VERY obsessive about supervising them. But time and time again, when ever I feed any kind of pet store bone my dogs suffer for it and I have learned my lesson forever. I find it disgusting that pet stores continue to sell these bones, despite the huge risk involved.

My dogs eat raw meaty bones daily as their main diet, and have for years. I've never had an incident with raw bones, and they do the best teeth cleaning & provide the best jaw work out. I'm careful to never feed thick weight-bearing bones (even chicken or turkey quarters), and I do not feed the bones of large ungulates like cows as they are not readily digestible and are hard enough to damage teeth. I feed raw chicken/turkey/duck/goose carcasses, necks, & wings; pork ribs, necks, feet, & shoulder; whole fish; lamb shank, necks, & ribs; whole rabbits and whole game hens with absolute confidence and peace of mind. The only pet store chews that I will feed my dogs are Zukes, Greenies, Bully sticks, Lamb/pig ears, Cow esophagus, Cow tails, and Pig snouts.

I have never & will never feed rawhides. The little compressed rawhide sticks that a dog can eat in 3 seconds are fine. But, real rawhide can cause insane blockages, bloat and death. I was telling my friend not to give her Pit Bull puppy rawhide... she gave him the biggest rawhide bone you can find! And he ate it ALL in one sitting. He had to get surgery, and $1000 later, he's fine & she will never feed rawhide again. D: Poor pup.

EXCELLENT post!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
RMBs, my dogs also like antlers but Gavroche powers through them in no time. Bully sticks are a nother favorite, as well as tracheas, non-smoked pig and sheep ears, pig snouts, tendons and cow snouts.
Cow snouts are surprisingly long-lasting, oh man. When I saw them I figured Finn would plow through one in no time, but it lasted longer then a bully stick. :O