Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
ahh, but the normal reading age is 7....force it too early and you can ruin it for the child.
Really?! I remember in preschool, we were told to write stories as a sort of benchmark each month or so. Admittedly, most were things like "I play football in the summer" or "the spider lays eggs. The eggs hatch baby spiders."
My preschool memories aren't at all in order, but I'm pretty sure you read before you write.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

I was homeschooled for two years after an altercation in defense of my sister got out of hand (my ma pulled a fast one: "You can't expel her, she's homeschooled!").

I do agree that, done right and with an amenable kid, it can be fabulous. The first year for me was just fine. I learned quickly and could direct my own education. I was not struggling academically in a public school setting, but I loved the specialization that homeschooled allowed.

However, I am a very competitive person, as well as someone who thrives on external feedback. There is only so much I could get out of my mother's praise and the supposed personal satisfaction that I was earning. I started to become belligerent about finishing assignments on time, and not at all driven to work hard. I could pass the exams with very little effort, and so I saw the tests as my only motivating force--a mediocre drive at best.

I chose to return to school when I felt that I was goofing off more often than not, and I found that even with my regular activities with other homeschoolers, the shyness that I had had during my preliminary schooling had multiplied. I was completely socially incompetent and paralyzed at the idea of interacting with other students. I got in several more (less serious) fights before I slowly was able to reintegrate.

Not questioning anyone's opinion here, just sharing my own experience. Overall, I'm glad that I wasn't in school during the time that I was homeschooled, if only because I was not transitioning well. But if I could change anything...well to be honest I think I would have thrived in a private school setting (but who wouldn't!).

That said, I love the video! =)

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Sorry I should clarify, developmentally 7 is about when most children are ready to read. Some are WAY earlier and some are later. Schools are pushed to do it on the earlier side and because of classroom setting they all need to be reading by a certain time.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Sorry I should clarify, developmentally 7 is about when most children are ready to read. Some are WAY earlier and some are later. Schools are pushed to do it on the earlier side and because of classroom setting they all need to be reading by a certain time.
That makes more sense.
And yeah, schools are encouraged to push the kids too fast. My sister had the same teacher for preschool and the requirements for graduation changed drastically from the time she went through it to five years later when I did.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I just want to add that through my experiences helping out with some of the high school kids classes in our co op... These kids are all very normal teens lol. I always just have to laugh to myself whenever I experience a class with the older kids. Somethings never change lol. Kids group together in select groups, the boys are always laughing and goofing off and playing jokes on each other, the girls are often a little more reserved but giggle and talk about boys just the same... So on and so forth lol. It's funny to observe them and laugh a little about how it was exactly the same when I was their age.

As for our schooling plan at home. We are pretty traditional. Our weeks are very structured. Hannah thrives on structure. Has been that way since she was an infant. Days that were "business as usual" when she was a baby were the easiest. That being said she is also quite adaptable. If plans change she just goes with the flow but she thrives on the familiar so she often brings along a little something from home (usually a minnie mouse) for that familiar comfort. She likes to know what we are doing each day of each week lol. She asks ten times a day "what's tomorrow". I tell her what day of the week and she will tell me what we usually have scheduled for that day. If it's an "off day" we try to plan something so she knows what to expect te next day. She prefers structure and prior planning which is a lesson for ME lol because I am not naturally that way

Bedtime routine has been the same for ages. Brush teeth, potty, change into PJ's, read a book or two, say a prayer, goodnight. She doesn't like to deviate from that lol. She even likes the toothbrushing to go the same. Count to ten in german and spanish for the bottom, count in french and japanese for the top and the alphabet in french and sign for the fronts. If you switch it up... She calls you on it lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Squishy face

On the not reading till 7 thing, I would say that is NOT the norm. When you are 7, you are in second grade. I remember reading stuff in class in first grade, like the "see spot run" type stuff, and we learned our letters and wrote stuff too.

I think I would have liked homeschooling for my elementary-middle school years, but I'm glad I went to public high school. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have met two of my best friends.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

When I was in school, we started to learn in first grade, basics like see spot run (more memorization than anything really). By second grade we were "reading". Now often its a requirement to pass kindergarten.

This is NOT to say early reading is bad, but there are cons to it for some kids. In a school setting, when kids need to read directions on worksheets etc, its needed. I would NOT in any way be worried if a 7 year old could not yet read as long as other signs werent pointing to a problem.

My daughter could sit through whole chapter books at age 3...including things like The Hobbit, Hitchikers Guide, etc., and actually comprehend them. She knew the plot, the characters, etc. She eats stuff like that up....but now at 6 she still cant "read". I am not worried, she shows all other signs of getting it, it will click for her soon. Just like my son was a late talker and totally caught up (and probably has surpassed the general vocabulary of most 4 year olds) and I have doubt that when she is ready, it will click and she will "catch up".

And yes, learning letter, how to recognize certain words, spell them etc is way different from actual reading IMO. Many schools do it earlier, from what I have read though developmentally the average age a child is really ready is around 7
(And yes, I TOTAlly understand that there are things like dyslexia and the like. Thats why I am saying if all other signs are pointing to things being ok, relax and let them figure it out with you guiding them along)