Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-31-2012, 05:02 AM
and Fozzie B!

I know some intact dogs who are perfectly restrained about marking, you wouldn't even know they were intact... and some who are OBSESSED with marking, it's all they want to do! If I had a dog of the latter persuasion, I'd probably neuter them. Some dogs literally seem driven insane by the urge to mark - drooling, licking, marking every surface even if they only have a drop left. Maybe because they've never been able to breed and are frustrated, or because they were never given restrictions or guidance to teach them where and when it's ok to mark. Idk but some intact dogs are really gross about it, while most aren't.

I would put a belly band on him and clean the spots REALLY well. Maybe get a professional carpet cleaner if you have carpet. You can use a blacklight to find pee. I'd do this whether you plan on neutering him or not, and supervise him all of the time!!! Tether him to you or crate him if necessary!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm All Ears

You could interrupt Beau if you kept on him 24/7 but we did try years of training and a belly band and nothing helped. I'm sure with constant supervision and a belly band (he'd still pee, just pee on himself) it would have worked but neutering was much easier! Prior to him I would have said it was all training and neutering probably wouldn't help but I do think some dogs just have an insane amount of drive/desire to mark.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
You could interrupt Beau if you kept on him 24/7 but we did try years of training and a belly band and nothing helped. I'm sure with constant supervision and a belly band (he'd still pee, just pee on himself) it would have worked but neutering was much easier! Prior to him I would have said it was all training and neutering probably wouldn't help but I do think some dogs just have an insane amount of drive/desire to mark.
This! I got hell from someone saying Travis was the result of bad training. Well, this person was a student who could sit and stare at her dog (female dog) all day. I have no desire to watch Travis ALL the time. I would rather control it with a collar and neuter as soon as I can.

Until you have had an obsessive marker you really don't know what you are talking about.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Thanks all! Nice to know that neutering should give us the push we need to eliminate it entirely. We're going to try management/training for a little longer, and then go from there.