Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Little dog, big voice

Can I just make a comment about how good her grammar is compared to the grammar of nine year olds around here? haha. Also, it's great that her blog motivated the school to make such positive changes.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Cole's school lunches were something out off the SciFi channel. You can proclaim "HEALTHY!" all you want, but when I see my son look down at his plate in confusion and exasperation, then we have a problem.

I've been to Cole's school on several occasions, and here are the lunches I witnessed:
-chicken tacos - because chicken is healthier than beef (cheaper too). however, when Cole and a classmate both asked me "Why is the meat grey?", and I saw that it was indeed a greyish color, then I wanted to go vomit. very few kids ate it.

-chicken/turkey/?? salad - no more sandwiches for these fat children (bread has too many carbs!). let's give them a teeny cup full of a pinkish mixture containing chunks, a pickle, and three packs of crackers and call it a healthy meal. I still haven't figured out why the goop, I mean chicken/turkey salad, was pink, or why it had tiny unidentifiable chunks in it, but I would say that this meal would've helped our country moreso than waterboarding.

-pizza - well, at least they get spoiled every now and then. or not. this meal was a piece of what looked to be a palm-sized (of a 5-yr-old child) portion of pita-ish bread, with a teeny bit of cheese, with chunks of tomatoe on it. it was disturbing to look at, but several kids did eat it. unfortunately, in an effort to combat childhood obesity, the serving size was appropriate for a 9-month-old baby....not an elementary aged child. then they had two baby carrot sticks, 1 broccoli flouret, and some sort of healthy cookie, which happened to be hard enough to drop from a fighter jet and at least take out a few people.

I could go on. I understand the need for healthy lunches, but IMO, the schools down here have taken it to some sort of gross extreme. The food looks terrible, and it tastes even worse. The portion sizes are perfect for toddler, but the 10-yr-old 5th grader wouldn't get full. And it is doing no one any good when one realizes just how many children are throwing their entire plate of food-untouched-in the trash at the end of lunchtime.

Keeping my kids at healthy weight is MY job, not the school's. I'd much rather them give my boys a jelley sandwich (all schools are nut-free facilities nowadays, and your child will be treated like a hardened felon should he show up with peanut butter or cashew butter on whole wheat bread), than give my son unidentifiable crap that just ends up in a trash can. Then I'm stuck with a hungry child all the while my tax dollars just got carried out to the dumpster out back.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

There's so much wrong with DPS.
"Healthy" isn't a thing. I think they serve nachos dripping in four times the cheese a normal person would need nearly every day. It's between that and a greasy burger with fries. Can you imagine anyone eating that day in, day out for two-hundred plus days of the year? It makes me ill just thinking about it...
And then for the free lunches, it's pizza. Literally every single day. They do give the kids a baggie with five baby carrots or half an orange, but still, seriously?

I do agree with Miakoda- I'd rather have unhealthy but eaten lunches than "healthy" lunches in the garbage, at the same time, I don't think gray chicken is healthy. lol
There has to be a balance somewhere in there...

Last edited by Kimbers; 05-31-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Our high school's hot lunch was generally a couple pieces of pizza, a mountain of french fries, and your choice of ranch or, if you paid an extra $0.25, nacho sauce.

But we weren't allowed to have sodas anymore because of childhood obesity.