Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Active Pup

zelda gets a 5 mile run before sunrise(6am ish) and a 5 mile run after sunset (either right after set or after I get off work at 11ish) before I leave for work she gets 30 mins of fetch and flirt pole. I also use toys for her instead of a food bowl and we do 30 mins of obedience drills through out the day. All time counted for this adds up to 2 hours, and I was already doing the running before I got her. My biggest concern is whats going to happen when we have 2 feet of snow on the ground.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Well two of my dogs swim obviously but Webby doesn't. If it's really really really hot he may wade. And he'll look at me as if he is performing the ultimate sacrificial act as he does so

Plus I can't take my girls swimming every day. Sadly.

So on sweltering non-swimming days I try to get the highest exertion exercise done as early as possible. Anything we do midday, I try to keep them out of direct sun as much as possible and wet them down with the hose if I need to. If we go for a walk we'll go to the wood where it often seems a little bit cooler just because we're always out of the sun.

Otherwise...well...there's always duration down/stay practice... :P

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

I just walk Kailey around the creek. (Lots of trees, lots of water.)
Unfortunately, the water is pretty dirty, which means frequent baths, which means lots of scratches on my back. Yeah, my dog's a big baby. She tries to crawl into my arms when she's getting a bath...
And Schaffer's always had his longer walks at night when it's dark. Much more comfortable and less stress on him because nobody else is out.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

I'm no real help because I just take them back to the pond and even though Cara and Upendi don't swim they will wade in when they get hot. (Mina of course loves to swim) In PA though when I didn't have access to the pond I'd just forcibly wet them down with the hose and make sure I kept them wet if they started to dry. They may not have liked getting wetted down, but they were much more comfortable afterwards. Cara and Mina actually grew to love 'hose games' as we'd call them, which more or less was just them chasing and biting at the water coming out of the hose. It was a great way to get them really running while keeping cool.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Are you dead yet?

I wound up having to exercise the dog in the heat and then show her that the only way to cool off was in the water. Even if she didn't want to swim, she would flop her belly down in a puddle or on the top step of a pool. Eve wasn't super fond of water at first, but she learned super quick that on hot days when she'd be out working sheep, the only relief was hopping in the stock tank to cool down.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Mitch & Erin

I walk Cthulhu at 7am when its still cool. Later in the day we go to the park where its really well shaded. Avoiding heat in Texas is like avoiding cars on the highway
Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

One of mine doesn't really do water either. This is going to sound silly, but one thing she did like was a water container filled up and some ice cubes dropped in... she spent a long time splashing and digging at the water...

In the heat of summer here (Australia, so it's nearly winter now) I usually walk dogs between 4 am and 5.30 am and/or after dark at night otherwise it's just too hot.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:20 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Yeah we just go out as early as possible for a walk (7am at the latest) then come back for some training and fetch/whatever. Midday is usually just hanging in the backyard with a baby pool (though Kimma is the only one that uses it) and maybe a bit of fetch. Bubbles will just lay in the sun - she's a "one walk a day and I'm cool" kind of gal. We may have more time outside in the yard doing not much of anything, and then walks once it cools down and starts to get dark/is dark. More training throughout the day, too. I generally up the mental exercise a bit once it gets to be super hot out.

On weekends or when I have lots of time, I will go to a nearby state park to hike a bit and let Kimma swim. She's the only one that will actually get in the water, so she's the only one that usually goes with LOL.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)