Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Big Dog

Default The watch me game

My chow/husky, Rolyx is a shelter baby...overall, good dog but he definably has come with some challenges. Indoors I have a well behaved and seemingly well balanced boy...I honestly have very few problems indoors. Outdoors, he's the complete opposite.

This weekend, I sat on my steps for close to a half hour, maybe a bit longer and not ONCE did he look my way. Not even a glance. Entire time he is focused on everything else...he just sits there literally staring off and waiting for something to move. I do think he's watching a little from the corner of his eyes, as if I move...he will follow most the time, assuming there is nothing there demanding his attention more [such as thumper grazing in the grass across the street and trust me when I say, I keep a tight grip on his lead at all times, even though it's loose most of the time].

I thought maybe the 'watch me game' would be a good place to start over. My question is how do you play this game if the dog won't even look at you? From my understanding you sit in a area with low distractions and wait for the dog to look at you. Then 'click' and toss a treat slightly off to the side, forcing him to break his look and then have to look back at you. Rinse, repeat. My yard is the best place I can think of, other than inside...should I start the game indoors? Then move it out to my front step? And what if that doesn't work? Also I should mention, he has a low food drive outdoors...even for the good stuff.