Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Default Bikejoring?

Bikejoring looks like a really fun activity, and I was wondering if anyone has any links/information on it.

Specifically, I'm wondering what are the requirements? What kind of equipment would I need?

I basically know nothing except that the dog pulls the bike.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:07 PM
and Spy.

I am also interested in trying this. From what I can find on Alpine Outfitters (http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secu...ts/default.asp), you need a harness and a scooter line... And of course a bike I found one article on how to train it but there was mention of dominance theory and I don't really trust it, so I will probably just try and figure it out on my own lol. I am considering ordering the scooter line and the x-back harness and giving it a try this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

The main thing I'm worried about right now is hurting Elsie somehow. When we bike now, if she doesn't think we're going fast enough, she'll pull me some. She only weighs 38lbs, though, and I can't find anything assuring me that's okay.

I've found plans online for how to make your own harness and scooter line, so I might try that.

I also haven't found much on how to train it. The idea doesn't seem all that complicated from the outside, though... but that's the way it always is, right?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
The main thing I'm worried about right now is hurting Elsie somehow. When we bike now, if she doesn't think we're going fast enough, she'll pull me some. She only weighs 38lbs, though, and I can't find anything assuring me that's okay.

I've found plans online for how to make your own harness and scooter line, so I might try that.

I also haven't found much on how to train it. The idea doesn't seem all that complicated from the outside, though... but that's the way it always is, right?
Can you post the link to those plans? The nice thing about the bike is that you can help her out by pedalling so she doesn't have to pull all your weight. With Spy, who is ~45, I would probably pedal myself up the hills so he isn't working too hard and would gently pedal on flat surfaces.

So true. It does seem simplish so I am just hoping I am not in for a nasty surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:27 PM
such sights to show you

I highly recommend a book called Ski Spot Run. It is mostly about skijoring, but the basics of training the verbal commands are the same regardless of what pulling/mushing sport you play and there are great tips for training the commands starting just on walks.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Can you post the link to those plans? The nice thing about the bike is that you can help her out by pedalling so she doesn't have to pull all your weight. With Spy, who is ~45, I would probably pedal myself up the hills so he isn't working too hard and would gently pedal on flat surfaces.

So true. It does seem simplish so I am just hoping I am not in for a nasty surprise
Harness!

I can't find the link right now for the place that had the home-made line, but they used bungee cords. I thought I'd saved it, but now it's not there. Grr...
Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I highly recommend a book called Ski Spot Run. It is mostly about skijoring, but the basics of training the verbal commands are the same regardless of what pulling/mushing sport you play and there are great tips for training the commands starting just on walks.
I will definitely add that to my stack of books to read, thank you!

Do you think a 38lb dog would be okay doing this?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM
such sights to show you

I think a 38 pound dog would be fine. You will be contributing a lot to the workload with the bike, it's not like pulling a sled... it's more like skijoring. I mean, they are working, but it's not all on them.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

That makes me feel a lot better. We went for a ride this morning, and she was really trying to get ahead of me and pull. She doesn't think trotting is an appropriate pace.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

I didn't officially try it out, but I put a regular walking harness on Skye one afternoon and figured I'd see if I can at least get her to hold the line out tight. No no no...not as quick to teach that as I thought it would be! It definitely requires some prep work and training .

There's a gal out here that does bikejor/skijor lessons...but they are really expensive. I'm talking like $150 a session.