Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia went through some really nervous phases when she was younger. It was just recently in the past year or so that she's come into her own. Honestly what I did was to ignore her issues for the most part, tell people not to pet her (Which is easy for me because I can just shove Summer at them and Summer is more than happy to pick up the slack and get all the pets), and just take her to lots of classes. Mia really has always done great in classes and she knows that she doesn't have to interact with other dogs and people there but she's learned to be okay with them around. I also find training just plain strengthens the bond between the handler and dog. The more Mia trusts me, the more she seems okay with other people.

Honestly, just doing that and now I have a dog that goes up to people on her own and licks them. I honestly never expected that from Mia, but as she's gained confidence, she's really become a lot more social. My trainer does not believe that Mia used to be shy at all, lol.

Anyways, I would just try more hands off approach.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 PM
BusterLove

Glad I'm not the only one thats come across this.

Quinn can be funny that she can pick a training class a mile off, first agility class I took her to she strutted in like she owned the place. It was all I could do to keep her from jumping on people and soliciting pats and trying to make friends with every dog she saw.

A mini fox terrier walking 20m behind us on a walk though and I can barely get her attention becasue she's so busy looking behind her while tripping me up.

She is still developing a lot in her head though - its only the last 4 months or so that she's started to come around to accepting, enjoying and actively seeking out affection from me or the other people in the house. Up until then she would avoid even a stroke on the head from any of us.

Little weirdo... atleast she's interesting.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia's personality has really rounded out now that she's 3. Just the past 1/2 year she's come into herself. I think it's combination of just maturity and then trying to calm myself about these things and to stop trying to force interactions.

I really would freak out a bit every now and then when she was younger and would be afraid of something.

Mia's always been really snuggly towards me but not anyone else. She's finally accepted a lot of my family members too almost to the same extent as me and seeks them out as well as me.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

Jackson was always great with other dogs of all types, but was very shy with strangers. He'd often back up quickly if someone reached pet him, and was just all around uncomfortable with it. He still can be a bit iffy about certain people, but he's come such a long way just with age even.

He's 3 1/2 and in the past year and a half, he's sooo much better. Almost an entirely different dog. I started using "go say hi" and pointing to the person and he's now willing to go investigate and enjoys a quick pat, but is still just indifferent. He doesn't seek out attention from strangers but LOVES my family and close friends. Once he meets you about four times, he usually will love you forever.

It basically was a matter of me bringing him out in public ALL the time, always carrying treats in my pocket, and never forcing anything on him. Also, tricks and agility and the like really boost his confidence. If I pull out treats and get him doing tricks, I can tell it just makes him feel at ease like "oh I know what I'm doing here!"

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
She is still developing a lot in her head though - its only the last 4 months or so that she's started to come around to accepting, enjoying and actively seeking out affection from me or the other people in the house. Up until then she would avoid even a stroke on the head from any of us.
This is Juno as well. She is not fond of the physical affection that most dogs are. If you want her out of your space, there is no faster way to get her to leave than to reach out and pet her. Affection is very much something that occurs only on her terms - and she doesn't seek it that often. I know this doesn't help her feelings towards strangers... if she doesn't want me petting her, of course she doesn't want the random guy at the pet store to pet her.

I don't push it. Normally she's very affectionate first thing in the morning and wants lots of pats, so I oblige, but that's about the only time of day that she's "into" it.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I echo a lot of what other posters have said - don't force anything on her in terms of strangers.

My Kimma is NOT a people dog. Well, I should say that she didn't used to be. She's starting to like being pet, but she's still wary of strangers. A bit like Laurelin's Mia from the sounds of it. She will seek me out, but is just starting to seek out others (she turned 2 in December). You can do things like the collar grab game, just in case she were to ever get loose and someone goes to grab the collar. That has helped Kimma as she doesn't duck away if people do try to pet her (I generally just tell people she doesn't like to be pet - except if it's a kid - she LOVES kids).

I also taught, "Go say hi!" to teach her to go up to people. Started it with kids mostly since she likes them, and now she will even do it for adults. But she always gets treated when she does go up to people (by me), even if the other person also gave her something. And I make sure she looks relaxed before I do that. If she is stressed at all (whining, pulling away, heavy panting, etc.), then I don't initiate anything. Interactions are only done when she's more relaxed.

In terms of on walks, we did (and still do) lots of LAT, and we also got sidetracked by loose dogs getting in her face many times. But I just kept with it. It's literally taken 2 years (she's been reactive since she was a puppy), but it's finally getting so much better. She was one of those dogs that would react to EVERYTHING. Leaves blowing, dogs in fences, on leashes, people, bikes, kids running, everything. Drove me nuts LOL.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm All Ears

The weird thing with Mia is that when it comes to ME, she is the most outwardly affectionate dog I've ever owned. But towards other people, she's indifferent or even seems to dislike being petted.