Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,162
Default

There is also the breeder's reputation to think of. Lets say I let someone who is a good JRT owner but might not be familiar with my lines OR the sort of dog my bitch produces pick their own puppy.

If it does not work out and that puppy buyer, even innocently, claims that they are having troubles and that the pup is not what they wanted... that hurts the breeder. Not only are you tying yourself to the breeder by getting a pup, the breeder is putting their reputation in your hands..literally.

So if you need to find a breeder that you can work with and trust them. That doesn't always mean agreeing 100% but it means that you have to trust each other on the important things. As I said in the other thread.. I am about as picky a puppy buyer as you will find. And its hard to find JRT breeders who are well versed in what makes a kick ass agility prospect. So I do tell them very specifically what I want. If the pup they suggest is not what I think I want, I would politely decline. Maybe that means no pup for me.. but BOTH parties need to be comfortable with the choice.

That said Seren is totally awesome! It has taken a while to see just how awesome she is but the breeder was totally on the money when he said "I think you will really like this one, she seems like your kind of dog" I was dubious for a while, but being a 1/2 sister to Kat of course I was going to take her. Nope, while she is not Kat she is really starting to bloom into a very drivey extremely happy and fairly dog friendly dog!

So sometimes you just gotta trust that the breeder does know what they are doing...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 AM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
There is also the breeder's reputation to think of. Lets say I let someone who is a good JRT owner but might not be familiar with my lines OR the sort of dog my bitch produces pick their own puppy.

If it does not work out and that puppy buyer, even innocently, claims that they are having troubles and that the pup is not what they wanted... that hurts the breeder. Not only are you tying yourself to the breeder by getting a pup, the breeder is putting their reputation in your hands..literally.

So if you need to find a breeder that you can work with and trust them. That doesn't always mean agreeing 100% but it means that you have to trust each other on the important things. As I said in the other thread.. I am about as picky a puppy buyer as you will find. And its hard to find JRT breeders who are well versed in what makes a kick ass agility prospect. So I do tell them very specifically what I want. If the pup they suggest is not what I think I want, I would politely decline. Maybe that means no pup for me.. but BOTH parties need to be comfortable with the choice.

That said Seren is totally awesome! It has taken a while to see just how awesome she is but the breeder was totally on the money when he said "I think you will really like this one, she seems like your kind of dog" I was dubious for a while, but being a 1/2 sister to Kat of course I was going to take her. Nope, while she is not Kat she is really starting to bloom into a very drivey extremely happy and fairly dog friendly dog!

So sometimes you just gotta trust that the breeder does know what they are doing...
I never even considered that point, interesting.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 28,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus View Post
I think it's less about the fact that they breed dogs and more about the fact that they raised the litter. Because they've been with the puppies since the moment they're born, they know the puppies inside and out. Breeders will have a more intimate knowledge of what each puppy is like and therefore will know what home will suit each puppy best. They'll know every little idiosyncrasy each puppy has, obvious or not, that you may or may not be able to pick up on in the short amount of time you spend with the puppies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
It's pretty simple. Because they bred the litter. Therefore, they can do what they please with the pups. Sometimes that means turning people away.
^^Yep that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
My next breeder will not be giving me a choice at all, and while a little piece of me wishes I could choose my own puppy, I know she is a great breeder and will give me an unbiased, objective opinion on which one will be the best fit for what I want.
Oooh did you decide for sure on a breeder then?
__________________
Mia and Summer
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Oooh did you decide for sure on a breeder then?
99% sure We should chat and I can give you my notes! lol
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM
HayleyMarie's Avatar
HayleyMarie HayleyMarie is offline
Like a bat outa' hell
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Beautiful British Columbia!!
Posts: 6,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

That said Seren is totally awesome! It has taken a while to see just how awesome she is but the breeder was totally on the money when he said "I think you will really like this one, she seems like your kind of dog" I was dubious for a while, but being a 1/2 sister to Kat of course I was going to take her. Nope, while she is not Kat she is really starting to bloom into a very drivey extremely happy and fairly dog friendly dog!

So sometimes you just gotta trust that the breeder does know what they are doing...
Umm... Send Seren to me ASAP please!!!
__________________


Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 28,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
99% sure We should chat and I can give you my notes! lol
PM me? Haha I'm so nosy.
__________________
Mia and Summer
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM
AllieMackie's Avatar
AllieMackie AllieMackie is offline
Wookie Collie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,291
Default

My question is simple:

How do you know if a puppy you've never met is a good match for you?
__________________


Finnegan - Border Collie | Porom & Barrett - Ferrets | Stan & Fiora - other half's cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM
kady05's Avatar
kady05 kady05 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
My question is simple:

How do you know if a puppy you've never met is a good match for you?
Not sure.. I trusted my breeder though. The day I met Sako was the day I picked him up! Couldn't have asked for a better dog.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Kat09Tails's Avatar
Kat09Tails Kat09Tails is offline
*Now with Snark*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upper Left hand corner, USA
Posts: 3,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Then find a breeder that will let you chose the puppy and move on. Let it go already. If you know more and have better dogs, then breed your own litter.
Circle gets the square! ding, ding, DING!

It's their litter, it's their choice. Most breeders want to set their puppy up for the greatest amount of success they possibly could have and they spend the first 8 weeks observing that litter to make that decision. If you don't like that maybe it is time to consider raising your own so you can have first pick of exactly what you want in puppies.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 PM
AllieMackie's Avatar
AllieMackie AllieMackie is offline
Wookie Collie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Not sure.. I trusted my breeder though. The day I met Sako was the day I picked him up! Couldn't have asked for a better dog.
Same with Finn and I.
__________________


Finnegan - Border Collie | Porom & Barrett - Ferrets | Stan & Fiora - other half's cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site