Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Active Pup

Default Why Do Breeders Always Know Best?

This is something I have often wondered about.Having been involved with dogs all my life and one breed in particular for almost 40 years some things totally confound me.
I have lived with this breed, been involved with raising litters, obediance, showing, and have read all the material I can find concerning the breed. The one thing I have not done is cause a litter of this breed to be concieved. In short I am not a BREEDER.
I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person with a lot still to learn.
But with all due respect I would like to know why it is assumed that just because a person has bred a litter or two in the last five or ten years they are more qaulified to choose the puppy most suited to my personality than I am myself? When as often as not I was envolved with this breed before they were born.
I run into this over and over again so my second question is if I actualy bred a litter of puppies would I then be considered knowledgeable enough to know what type of puppy suits me best?
What is it that can only be learned by allowing two dogs to produce a litter? Seems to me most dogs are quite capable of doing this with out any help.
I do not mean to sound cynical and would hoestly like to know if some one could explain this to me. JuliaMae

“If caring is a crime, color me guilty.”