Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Chihuahua Power!

A couple of days ago, I spoke with a breeder about an all white girl who I really, really wanted. I would've been able to get her this weekend. She was pretty expensive and my husband gave me the okay on her. I was really excited about it- she was absolutely perfect! However, the breeder intimidated me to the point where I am too afraid to go and meet her. I felt like I was being interviewed to adopt a child.

It's funny because I was especially nervous about talking to Emma's breeder initially, especially since I was looking at possibly co-owning her. After a few minutes into our phone call, I felt really comfortable. That's how it's been with each of my puppies. Buying through a responsible breeder means a life time of support, so it's important to be comfortable with your breeder.

And so, I've made my decision. It was very, very tough and stressful.

I'm going to get the girl being rehomed. I'd like to get Mort a friend sooner than later, and this girl sounds very sweet! I'm picking her up tomorrow night. The white faced blonde girl won't be ready to come home for 3 weeks, and I just don't want Mort to have to be lonely for that long. They're such social animals and really need to at least be paired up.

If I end up wanting a third, I can always go the breeder route- but right now I'm just hesitant and feel like this rehomed girl is a good fit for us.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 AM
My dog tickles my soul

I know I'm a little late to this thread and I don't know if you came across this in your research, but I would strongly recommend a quarantine before introducing your suggies together. We all know that exotic vets are pricey, plus since suggies are still relatively new as a pet species even the exotic vets have "trial and error" to some extent with sick suggies. Then if you have to deal with TWO sick suggies...

I don't want to scare you, because most likely it would be a non-issue. BUT I still vote towards erring on the side of caution when at all possible with these critters.

Then, when you do introduce them, let them live in separate cages next to each other, then have some supervised play visits with each other. You can do this by inviting them to each others "houses" or getting a small screen tent (with closed bottom!) that you and your suggies can all hang out in together for playtime.