Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Birds have the typical seed only bags that are always marketed as being "everything your bird needs for a nutritious diet!" And many are dyed to look like the rainbow and are packed FULL of sunflower seeds
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Birds have the typical seed only bags that are always marketed as being "everything your bird needs for a nutritious diet!" And many are dyed to look like the rainbow and are packed FULL of sunflower seeds
Ugh, yeah. I totally forgot about that, but I don't have birds anymore.

Come to think of it, looking at all of these pet diets...are there any animals out there that do well on seeds, grains, etc? I know even cows don't do well on corn.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Ugh, yeah. I totally forgot about that, but I don't have birds anymore.

Come to think of it, looking at all of these pet diets...are there any animals out there that do well on seeds, grains, etc? I know even cows don't do well on corn.
Well for birds and seeds, I think the problem lies more in the fact that the food is ONLY or mostly seeds. I mean, broccoli is good for me but if I was only ever fed a diet of just broccoli I wouldn't be very healthy and wouldn't live very long. Variety is SO important - a well-rounded diet is critical to health. So while the actual quality of products in the food are important, half of the time the diets lack because they are the only things being fed instead of having supplements of fresh veggies, fruit, whatever. Birds need seeds, but not JUST seed... And imo, that's where the problem lies with them.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 PM
yoko's Avatar
yoko yoko is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,320
Default

Rat food always creeped me out. All the ones in the pet stores always smell like maple syrup or candy to me and it always makes me worried that is just a bunch of sweet filler to get them to eat it.

I've always just given them enough blocks to eat through the day but every morning and evening gave mine fresh foods and they've always done good with it.
__________________
Thank you Vivien and Angel Chicken for the siggy! Also I have been frosted!!! And as of 9/13/07 I know the secret handshake!


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Well for birds and seeds, I think the problem lies more in the fact that the food is ONLY or mostly seeds. I mean, broccoli is good for me but if I was only ever fed a diet of just broccoli I wouldn't be very healthy and wouldn't live very long. Variety is SO important - a well-rounded diet is critical to health. So while the actual quality of products in the food are important, half of the time the diets lack because they are the only things being fed instead of having supplements of fresh veggies, fruit, whatever. Birds need seeds, but not JUST seed... And imo, that's where the problem lies with them.
Yes, because they found that cockatiels kept on pellet only diets ended up with liver or kidney disease or something. Variety is best.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 PM
ravennr's Avatar
ravennr ravennr is offline
ಥ⌣ಥ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,314
Default

I know some places that will heavily push a seed mixture on you if you're looking for rat food.
I've heard "they're like rabbits so they need this grass pellet and they love seeds, like this bird seed style mixture, and they're all set!"

I made my rat's food myself whenever I could. which was about 98% of the time.
__________________

My Polyvore
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site