I really hate seeing wandering dogs..

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
So, Cali and I were on our usual walk today when we spotted a dog way up the road. He looked like a pitbull/lab mix, but either way, he ran up to us. I picked Cali up (just because the last two larger dogs she met, tried jumping all over her while she was in my arms).. but he was super friendly and was calm, so I let them say hi for a brief moment before we continued on our way and met up with my neighbor's shih-tzu.

However, he caught up again with us and was trotting along on the middle of the road. I basically had a heart attack as I saw a transport farther up on the road as I tried to lure him onto the sidewalk. Thankfully, he came over.. but after the truck passed, he went back onto the road and ran down it, through the intersection and down another sidewalk. All I could think was, "please let that dog get home safely."

I just wish people would keep their dogs from wandering, for their own safety.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Ugh. It kills me to see this!!! Especially with super adorable, sweet dogs who deserve soooo much better.

I usually end up taking them home, putting up found ads & posters, and finally finding their owners. And you know what? 90% of the time, the owner acts like you put them through some huge hassle by saving their dog from eminent danger and caring for them. "He woulda come home anyway..." REALLY, buddy?! How do you know that? He might've come home, but he also might have required thousands of dollars in Vet care, so you're welcome. It makes me not even want to give nice dogs back to their neglectful owners, but I do, just for the slight chance that them getting out really was an accident.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
This happened to me yesterday, but with two chihuahuas! The female actually ran from me & Rage, into the middle of the four-lane by our development, and stood there barking:yikes: but the male came over & dropped into a play bow, and crawled up to us, so I scruffed him quick & picked him up & carried him home. I put up flyers, called animal services to report him, and listed him on craigslist... TWO people have already called missing dogs that matched his description but it wasn't the right dog - how many people are missing unneutered tan chihuahuas in this neighborhood?!?

joce

I've been in bad areas trying to lure dogs into my car. Only time I don't is off they growl or I have my corgi gizmo with me and no where else to put her. I just know if I see that dog dead on the road next time I go by I'll feel so guilty. Cars go fast out here.

Yesterday in a little town on the way home we stopped to help the town cop and what I assume was this poor shepherds owners catch it. I was waving a left over breadstick from olive garden around but terrified it was going to run back in the road cuz it was not interested! The cop had used his siren to scare it off the road. Gotta love small towns.

BostonBanker

I hear you. I came very close to hitting an obese intact boxer on my way home from work today - just wandering around the middle of the street, no collar. I got out of the car with a treat bag and leash, but he would barely even glance at me. I finally gave up when he wandered off into back yards; I figured he was at least moving away from the busy streets.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
If I was on my own and not still under my mom's rules, I'd have taken him home and put a leash on him and gone to find his owner. He just looked kind of clueless.. he ran over to some man in a driveway, so I thought that was his owner.. but nope, the poor guy was shoo'd away. He was also wearing an old raggity collar that was about a size to small and I would've fixed it if he hadn't trotted off.

At least the streets aren't horribly busy.. but I'll be honest and say half of the town's population is idiots who don't use their heads and speed along. I actually don't normally see roaming dogs.. as the majority of them are in outdoor kennels or on chains.

I think there's maybe three or four dog owners in town that I'd consider good ones.. I always walk by the dogs down by the auto shop and feel so sorry and remind Cali how good she has it. I once saw a little shih-tzu tied up to a tree on a hot day, with no water.. so I went back down afterwards with a bowl of water for him.

I really do think that people should at least display some sort of knowledge before getting a dog.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Ugh :( once, when my brother was walking home from school, he found an old husky just laying in the middle of a busy intersection. He calls me, didn't say what was happening-- just that it's an emergency and I have to get there NOW.

Cue me running outside, in -40 degree weather without a jacket or anything. See them dog, grabs its collar to move it off the road (cars were stopped and honking), and the dog slipped its collar. Grab it's scruff and convince t to follow me. Then I had to hold dog by scruff, going door to door asking it he belonged to them. Kept being told no, then got to one guy who said I could put the dog in his backyard and keep looking. He ended up putting up signs and keeping the dog there. Week later, guy calls me that he still has the dog.

I take the dog to my vet to make sure, again, they didn't know him. Says no, but vet agreed to look him over. Turns out, he was an old man, and had an aggressive type of cancer and was likely in pain and had a matter of weeks, if not days to live.

I sat there and told him he was a good dog as we helped him cross the bridge. I then went home, opened the phone book and called everybody remotely near where we found him. No luck finding the owners.

With the state he was in, and where he was, he was likely dumped :(

Yah, loose dogs annoy me greatly

Sweet72947

Squishy face
We don't really have loose dogs here, but when I was visiting my grandmother in Florida, my mom and I met a lovely GSD mix who was running around loose. The old folks' condo development that my grandmother lives in is walking distance from the house she and my step-grandfather used to own on the lake. My mom and I walked down there to see the house one more time, and while we were standing near the lake the GSD mix just runs up to us like "Hai, we're friends now, play with me!" he was wearing a collar with no tags. We petted him a little and continued on our walk farther into the neighborhood, and he followed along, running here and there and sniffed stuff and doing dog things. We came across the house with a rottweiler tied to small dog house in the side yard. The GSD ran up and played with her a little, it was cute. We came across some people who told us the GSD belonged to a guy who lived in a trailer nearby we had passed and was always outside loose. When we turned back he followed us until we came near the entrance to my grandmother's development. He did go in and out of the road, good thing there is barely any traffic there. We were kinda sad he didn't follow us further. After seeing his joy, and watching him frolic in the orange groves with that carefree happiness only dogs have, we really did want to steal him and fly him home with us, lol. He was a good dog, I hope he stayed happy.

Members online

No members online now.