Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I've never even heard of this before. Now I'm going to freak every time Frodo vomits!

Poor Kiba

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I've never even heard of this before. Now I'm going to freak every time Frodo vomits!

Poor Kiba
The reddish vomit is what put me into thinking this was not normal "bad diarrhea" and to get to the vet quick. I kinda wish I had gotten pictures of what came out so I could be like, "If you see this it's HGE!" lol, but it's not something anyone really needs to relive through twice.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

UGH, soooo sorry.

I'm sending major get well vibes.

When I went through something similar with Jackson, it's awful. You feel so helpless. I was up all night with him, he was throwing up every 30 minutes-1 hour and then blood started coming, then it was the watery diarrhea, and blood in stool as well. It was awful and thankfully, it seems like it was a one-time thing with him too (from too much people food). He had to stay overnight and also got lots of sub-q fluids once sent home.

I've never heard of HGE, actually, I'll have to look into it. Because what happened to Jackson is still sort of unknown, initially diagnosed w/ pancreatitis, but our regular vet told me it was probably just a GI problem. I'm kind of wondering if he had this too... this happened last summer. But it occurred right after consuming lots of fatty people food at a family party, where he was basically a walking garbage disposal.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Poor Kiba...poor you!

Lots of (((vibes))) for a quick recovery...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM
and Fozzie B!

I believe HGE is simply sudden, bloody diarrhea and/or vomiting. The causes can be many, but it's generally an abnormal response to bacteria or a hyper-sensitivity to food.

Gonzo was fed home-cooked for months afterwards because I was so freaked out. He did really well on Nature's Variety Prairie/Instinct (rabbit or duck formula)... it's the only kibble I trust to agree with him. I've noticed since his HGE that he gets sick if I give him a fish-based kibble, and Orijen is loaded with fish, so I feel he might have an intolerance to it.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I believe HGE is simply sudden, bloody diarrhea and/or vomiting. The causes can be many, but it's generally an abnormal response to bacteria or a hyper-sensitivity to food.

Gonzo was fed home-cooked for months afterwards because I was so freaked out. He did really well on Nature's Variety Prairie/Instinct (rabbit or duck formula)... it's the only kibble I trust to agree with him. I've noticed since his HGE that he gets sick if I give him a fish-based kibble, and Orijen is loaded with fish, so I feel he might have an intolerance to it.
And of course our weekend included a food switch Thursday/Friday (cold turkey), agility in the hot sun Saturday (though she didn't get overheated) at a new outdoor place, so trying to pinpoint what is somewhat hard. She's usually a dog that can eat any and everything, and never have an issue.

They were eating NV Prairie chicken, then the one this weekend was the California Natural chicken because they were all out of the Prairie. And now it seems everyone is out of it, soI returned it and got one of the Earthborn foods, though I'll probably be switching everyone to homecooked after this bag is done.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 PM
and Fozzie B!

It's sad how much HGE robs you of your peace of mind. Because you just don't know. I was crazy paranoid about what went into Gonzo's mouth, the consistency of his poo, his activity level, everything for a good year!

It does sound like Kiba got an upset tummy from the sudden food change, which was probably exacerbated by running around in the heat. I have read that Mini Schnauzers (and Mini Poodles, ack!) are more prone to getting it. It's great that you took her to the Vet right away and didn't wait to see if she got better without meds or fluids!

Feeding home-cooked probably helped me feel more comfortable more than anything. Then I transitioned back to a kibble that really worked for him, then eventually raw. Just make sure you're giving probiotics! I have the human probiotics, that are live and refridgerated, so I just gave him those along with plain yogurt. Surprisingly dog-specific probiotics are much more expensive!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM
overdogged

My cat actually had it secondary to having hydrogen peroxide to make her puke up Luce's heart pill that she ate. Apparently this happens to a large number of cats who are given peroxide, but the e-clinic didn't tell me that on the phone. There wasn't a good alternative, anyway (well, I guess they could have given her apomorphine if I'd taken her in but that would have been an hour drive and I wanted that pill out NOW). The heart pill was a HUGE dose for a cat and could have made Very Bad Things happen.

But waking up to find bloody vomit all over your house? Fairly scary. Not something I really enjoyed.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
It's sad how much HGE robs you of your peace of mind. Because you just don't know. I was crazy paranoid about what went into Gonzo's mouth, the consistency of his poo, his activity level, everything for a good year!

It does sound like Kiba got an upset tummy from the sudden food change, which was probably exacerbated by running around in the heat. I have read that Mini Schnauzers (and Mini Poodles, ack!) are more prone to getting it. It's great that you took her to the Vet right away and didn't wait to see if she got better without meds or fluids!

Feeding home-cooked probably helped me feel more comfortable more than anything. Then I transitioned back to a kibble that really worked for him, then eventually raw. Just make sure you're giving probiotics! I have the human probiotics, that are live and refridgerated, so I just gave him those along with plain yogurt. Surprisingly dog-specific probiotics are much more expensive!
And Toy Poodles from what I hear too. I guess I should stop calling Charlie "the poodle", it'll only jinx her.

I have to somewhat laugh though, because we were suppose to do USDAA agility on Sunday, something we've not done since 2007, and I was really looking forward to it. I keep telling Kiba there are other ways of telling me you don't want to do it. Still bummed.