Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 AM
<3 my soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
And when people think a small pet is less expensive than a dog...HA. That may be true for hamsters and such, but not for ferrets. I've think I've spent more money on my ferrets than I have on Chloe. LOL

Same here...But I KNOW I have spent more on shakes than on Ollie in the last year. I tend to be in panic mode more with him too....
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliethemutt View Post
Same here...But I KNOW I have spent more on shakes than on Ollie in the last year. I tend to be in panic mode more with him too....
I don't add up vet bills for ferrets. I know if I did, I'd want to kill the ferrets that I spent all that money on

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

It seriously annoys me too. People get a rabbit, and keep it in a 3ft or 4ft cage. It's just not enough. Of course it doesn't help that most pet shops don't sell housing large enough for the pets they sell

My Photos
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
Of course it doesn't help that most pet shops don't sell housing large enough for the pets they sell
That is another thing that annoys me. I wish pet store employees were more knowledgeable about proper animal care and that the products needed for proper animal care were actually AVAILABLE.
I am SO HAPPY that Midwest has come out with a Guinea Pig cage that is modeled after the C&C cages. It has the proper square footage needed for a pig or two, and it is cheaper than the smaller cages. Before, if you wanted to get a commercially bought cage for a Piggie, you were always under the recommended square footage.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM
and Spy.

Well, some small animals DO require less care than say, a dog.

Ultimately, I don't like when people get an animal they aren't prepared for and neglect to give it the things it needs to live a happy, stimulating, healthy life. Pet's just shouldn't be an impulse buy, and in the (ideally) rare occasions they are, those people should go home and research all aspects of ownership for that animal. It's not like buying a 'thing', an object with no feelings or sense of fear/pain/depression. We are dealing with living, breathing creatures here, beings with feelings and senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Love My Mutt <3

But they really don't. What does a dog NEED? Water, food, love, vet care and exercise. What does a rabbit/ferret/guinea pig/hamster/sugar glider/whatever NEED? Water, food, love, vet care and exercise. Anything other than that is a luxury, not a need.

By the large, dog owners (myself included) are hypocritical, and I've been seeing it more and more, the more involved with other rescues I get. They don't blink an eye at somebody shoving a guinea pig in a cage way too small for 23 hours a day, but hear about somebody sticking their dog in a small crate for 23 hours a day and they are yelling abuse. That guinea pig is just as not happy as that dog is, yet it's fine to do for a guinea pig (or rabbit or hamster or ferret or whatever). It's not just dogs that need that human interaction. Hej, Wedgey *really* pushed that into my mind.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I have to put more THOUGHT into the time spent with my rats and other previous small animals. Dogs just kinda exist with you most of the time you are home (unless you are actively doing something with them), but most small animals don't get that. They can't just run over and ask for pets a couple times a day, they 100% rely on you to be forward in paying them attention, cleaning their cage, etc. They aren't going to bark at you if you forget to feed them.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
But they really don't. What does a dog NEED? Water, food, love, vet care and exercise. What does a rabbit/ferret/guinea pig/hamster/sugar glider/whatever NEED? Water, food, love, vet care and exercise. Anything other than that is a luxury, not a need.
They need the same things, but I would argue that they do not need those things in the same amounts. My bird gets the exact same things as my dog - good food, vet care, exercise, stimulation. But she is old, a small parrot, and she does not require the same amount of time that my dog does. In fact, she is out of her cage most of the day but doing her own things because she just isn't that friendly. I spend much more time out of my day interacting with and providing for my dog than I do her. They both live nice lives and are happy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
By the large, dog owners (myself included) are hypocritical, and I've been seeing it more and more, the more involved with other rescues I get. They don't blink an eye at somebody shoving a guinea pig in a cage way too small for 23 hours a day, but hear about somebody sticking their dog in a small crate for 23 hours a day and they are yelling abuse. That guinea pig is just as not happy as that dog is, yet it's fine to do for a guinea pig (or rabbit or hamster or ferret or whatever). It's not just dogs that need that human interaction. Hej, Wedgey *really* pushed that into my mind.
Shoving a GP in a cage that is too small for it is wrong. The GP needs a proper sized cage to be happy. I don't disagree with you in that regard, and I *hate* when people don't provide for an animal what it needs. However, that is a totally different argument. On a fundamental level, pets need the same things - love, vet care, exercise, a good diet, etc. But there is no way that a leopard gecko or a hamster needs me to take an hour and a half out of my day to hike him on the local dog trails lol. Of course they need stimulation and exercise, but it is unreasonable (imo) to say that all animals are equal in the amount of time/money they typically need (and for money I am thinking more along the line of fish, because I vet all my other animals lol).

I mean, even among dogs the amount of things they "need" varies. My retriever mix Tucker was happy with 30 minutes of exercise a day, and lounging around the house for the other 23.5 hours That was enough for him to be happy and healthy. Spy needs way more of my time to be happy (walking and mental stimulation) and is much more demanding and time consuming.

If I was a busier person, I would opt for more of a Tucker type dog than a Spy type because yeah, Tucker really does require less than Spy does to be happy. If I was time constrained and felt I didn't have the space for a dog but wanted a pet, I might look into getting some hermit crabs.

Maybe this is more of a debate about what less care means. I don't disagree that animals require the same basic things, but when I think of less care I think of less demanding and needy. Less care =/= less value, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would definitely agree that not ALL small animals are going to require more time than a dog, it is just going to depend on the type of animal and the particular animal in question.

Just like your experience with dogs, I have 2 rats who ABSOLUTELY need **** tons of exercise and mental stimulation, and one who is meh and doesn't start chucking crap out of her cage if she isn't out every night

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Love My Mutt <3

My offer I've given previously still stands -- I'll send Ren to somebody for 2 days. They'll be begging me to take him back after 2 hours

I would send Ella, but I think I'd have to kill my parents first.