Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,625
Default What would you do?

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I'm going to do, but I want to see other opinions as well!

I need to get Mort a friend. He's a 3-4 month old sugar glider joey.

Options:

1. Someone is rehoming a one year old female locally- I could pick her up this week. She's the same color as Mort (standard grey) and has been a single sugar glider who needs a friend as well.

2. I'm in contact with a breeder who has a female who is 4 weeks OOP (out of pouch). I can pick her up at the end of June- she's a white faced blonde, which is a little bit different than a standard grey.

3. Someone is rehoming a female joey locally as well. She's a little bit younger than Mort, and has lived with her parents up to this point. This person isn't sure they're going to separate any of them, though, so this probably won't be a (reliable) option.

So... older rescue, or a little bit different colored joey from a breeder?

White faced blonde picture pulled from google search:



and then a standard grey:

__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM
mkj2013's Avatar
mkj2013 mkj2013 is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 161
Default

I'd say the girlie that needs a friend as well
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkj2013 View Post
I'd say the girlie that needs a friend as well
Me too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,304
Default

I'd vote for girlie that needs a friend - IF Gliders adapt to being put in with unfamiliar Gilders, especially one that's been on its own for a year. And if she is social.

Obviously, if you want another baby and want to do all of the bonding/raising from the start, I vote for the breeder baby. Or if you plan to breed and want something other than standard grey. LOL
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I'd vote for girlie that needs a friend - IF Gliders adapt to being put in with unfamiliar Gilders, especially one that's been on its own for a year. And if she is social.

Obviously, if you want another baby and want to do all of the bonding/raising from the start, I vote for the breeder baby. Or if you plan to breed and want something other than standard grey. LOL
That's where I'm at. Mort is young and it would be nice to introduce him to a younger one. Ian likes the idea of getting the younger one as well. This way I could bond with Mort for a little bit longer, but I feel guilty having him as a single glider since they do best with at least one other.

I'm not sure if I want to breed once (they only have 1-2 joeys, and I'd keep them both!!) or if I want to neuter Mort. Decisions, decisions.

I love the all white suggies, but they are SO expensive... like, $1000+ and closer to $2000!!!
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM
MericoX's Avatar
MericoX MericoX is offline
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In depression
Posts: 5,248
Default

The white one because it's cute.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,625
Default

I think they're ALL cute. Hehe. But a color variation would make them easier to tell apart!

I contacted a breeder about a gorgeous mosaic female. I'm not sure how much her price is, but I'm assuming it's more than I want to spend. That would be my #1 choice.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,495
Default

I like number 2 personally, it gives you more time to bond with little Mort. You get breeder support AND it'll be easier to tell them apart in pictures lol Plus if you are thinking of breeding.. I'd guess a breeder would be a good idea since her health will likely be better

I know in florida, A LOT of suggies come from the company "Pocket pets" that tours around our fairs and carnivals. They don't give a very good start at life, care is minimal and their health is kind of iffy.
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I like number 2 personally, it gives you more time to bond with little Mort. You get breeder support AND it'll be easier to tell them apart in pictures lol Plus if you are thinking of breeding.. I'd guess a breeder would be a good idea since her health will likely be better

I know in florida, A LOT of suggies come from the company "Pocket pets" that tours around our fairs and carnivals. They don't give a very good start at life, care is minimal and their health is kind of iffy.
Perfect Pockets Pets is SCARY. They call their gliders "sugar bears" so when people go to look them up online, they only get information from Perfect Pocket Pets. They tell you to let your suggie bond with DOGS AND CATS. I mean, come on! Emma has seen Mort through his cage and just wants to eat him. The last thing I'd do is just let Mort run around with the dogs!

Mort was a rescue in the sense he was rehomed, but I know his past if that makes sense. He was raised by hand since his mom couldn't take care of him. He's had a lot of human contact and I feel like we're bonding together really quickly already!

I feel the same way about going through a breeder. It will be nice to know my little girl was cared for properly from the start, like Mort!

I'm a little hesitant to get the year old female... her owner doesn't feed a proper diet either. I feel almost guilty not getting her!

I think I'm going to talk to the breeder of the white faced blonde girl on the phone today and figure out if I want to put a deposit down on her.

I'll get more than a month to bond with Mort if I go that route

Holy huge post... I'm on steroids for my asthma at the moment and am super WIRED so I'm typing out what my brain is thinking in its entirety. LOL.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Perfect Pockets Pets is SCARY. They call their gliders "sugar bears" so when people go to look them up online, they only get information from Perfect Pocket Pets. They tell you to let your suggie bond with DOGS AND CATS. I mean, come on! Emma has seen Mort through his cage and just wants to eat him. The last thing I'd do is just let Mort run around with the dogs!

Mort was a rescue in the sense he was rehomed, but I know his past if that makes sense. He was raised by hand since his mom couldn't take care of him. He's had a lot of human contact and I feel like we're bonding together really quickly already!

I feel the same way about going through a breeder. It will be nice to know my little girl was cared for properly from the start, like Mort!

I'm a little hesitant to get the year old female... her owner doesn't feed a proper diet either. I feel almost guilty not getting her!

I think I'm going to talk to the breeder of the white faced blonde girl on the phone today and figure out if I want to put a deposit down on her.

I'll get more than a month to bond with Mort if I go that route

Holy huge post... I'm on steroids for my asthma at the moment and am super WIRED so I'm typing out what my brain is thinking in its entirety. LOL.
Wait, I know. Adopt the year old female AND the breeder baby. Then you'll have three!
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site