Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default What would you do?

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I'm going to do, but I want to see other opinions as well!

I need to get Mort a friend. He's a 3-4 month old sugar glider joey.

Options:

1. Someone is rehoming a one year old female locally- I could pick her up this week. She's the same color as Mort (standard grey) and has been a single sugar glider who needs a friend as well.

2. I'm in contact with a breeder who has a female who is 4 weeks OOP (out of pouch). I can pick her up at the end of June- she's a white faced blonde, which is a little bit different than a standard grey.

3. Someone is rehoming a female joey locally as well. She's a little bit younger than Mort, and has lived with her parents up to this point. This person isn't sure they're going to separate any of them, though, so this probably won't be a (reliable) option.

So... older rescue, or a little bit different colored joey from a breeder?

White faced blonde picture pulled from google search:

and then a standard grey:

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Big Dog

I'd say the girlie that needs a friend as well
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkj2013 View Post
I'd say the girlie that needs a friend as well
Me too.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'd vote for girlie that needs a friend - IF Gliders adapt to being put in with unfamiliar Gilders, especially one that's been on its own for a year. And if she is social.

Obviously, if you want another baby and want to do all of the bonding/raising from the start, I vote for the breeder baby. Or if you plan to breed and want something other than standard grey. LOL

Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I'd vote for girlie that needs a friend - IF Gliders adapt to being put in with unfamiliar Gilders, especially one that's been on its own for a year. And if she is social.

Obviously, if you want another baby and want to do all of the bonding/raising from the start, I vote for the breeder baby. Or if you plan to breed and want something other than standard grey. LOL
That's where I'm at. Mort is young and it would be nice to introduce him to a younger one. Ian likes the idea of getting the younger one as well. This way I could bond with Mort for a little bit longer, but I feel guilty having him as a single glider since they do best with at least one other.

I'm not sure if I want to breed once (they only have 1-2 joeys, and I'd keep them both!!) or if I want to neuter Mort. Decisions, decisions.

I love the all white suggies, but they are SO expensive... like, $1000+ and closer to $2000!!!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

The white one because it's cute.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I think they're ALL cute. Hehe. But a color variation would make them easier to tell apart!

I contacted a breeder about a gorgeous mosaic female. I'm not sure how much her price is, but I'm assuming it's more than I want to spend. That would be my #1 choice.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Resident fainting goat

I like number 2 personally, it gives you more time to bond with little Mort. You get breeder support AND it'll be easier to tell them apart in pictures lol Plus if you are thinking of breeding.. I'd guess a breeder would be a good idea since her health will likely be better

I know in florida, A LOT of suggies come from the company "Pocket pets" that tours around our fairs and carnivals. They don't give a very good start at life, care is minimal and their health is kind of iffy.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I like number 2 personally, it gives you more time to bond with little Mort. You get breeder support AND it'll be easier to tell them apart in pictures lol Plus if you are thinking of breeding.. I'd guess a breeder would be a good idea since her health will likely be better

I know in florida, A LOT of suggies come from the company "Pocket pets" that tours around our fairs and carnivals. They don't give a very good start at life, care is minimal and their health is kind of iffy.
Perfect Pockets Pets is SCARY. They call their gliders "sugar bears" so when people go to look them up online, they only get information from Perfect Pocket Pets. They tell you to let your suggie bond with DOGS AND CATS. I mean, come on! Emma has seen Mort through his cage and just wants to eat him. The last thing I'd do is just let Mort run around with the dogs!

Mort was a rescue in the sense he was rehomed, but I know his past if that makes sense. He was raised by hand since his mom couldn't take care of him. He's had a lot of human contact and I feel like we're bonding together really quickly already!

I feel the same way about going through a breeder. It will be nice to know my little girl was cared for properly from the start, like Mort!

I'm a little hesitant to get the year old female... her owner doesn't feed a proper diet either. I feel almost guilty not getting her!

I think I'm going to talk to the breeder of the white faced blonde girl on the phone today and figure out if I want to put a deposit down on her.

I'll get more than a month to bond with Mort if I go that route

Holy huge post... I'm on steroids for my asthma at the moment and am super WIRED so I'm typing out what my brain is thinking in its entirety. LOL.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Perfect Pockets Pets is SCARY. They call their gliders "sugar bears" so when people go to look them up online, they only get information from Perfect Pocket Pets. They tell you to let your suggie bond with DOGS AND CATS. I mean, come on! Emma has seen Mort through his cage and just wants to eat him. The last thing I'd do is just let Mort run around with the dogs!

Mort was a rescue in the sense he was rehomed, but I know his past if that makes sense. He was raised by hand since his mom couldn't take care of him. He's had a lot of human contact and I feel like we're bonding together really quickly already!

I feel the same way about going through a breeder. It will be nice to know my little girl was cared for properly from the start, like Mort!

I'm a little hesitant to get the year old female... her owner doesn't feed a proper diet either. I feel almost guilty not getting her!

I think I'm going to talk to the breeder of the white faced blonde girl on the phone today and figure out if I want to put a deposit down on her.

I'll get more than a month to bond with Mort if I go that route

Holy huge post... I'm on steroids for my asthma at the moment and am super WIRED so I'm typing out what my brain is thinking in its entirety. LOL.
Wait, I know. Adopt the year old female AND the breeder baby. Then you'll have three!