Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Big Dog

Silly thought, but a Wolfhound is huge, is gentle to most, but can be stranger-wary, not super hard to train (though their teen period can be fun...), and definitely intimidating to anyone with bad intentions. They are not guard dogs by any means, but most will bark when someone comes to the door or up the driveway. They are also super loyal to their person/people and would defend bravely if in a dangerous situation.

It's not the breed for everybody, but might be something worth looking at. They are good with kids, other dogs, and often smaller animals like cats (though some lines are more prey-driven than others). They need a good run here and there, but are not terribly active dogs. Their biggest flaw is that they are short-lived

Anyway, just an idea.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Puppy Dog

LOL, I forgot to mention how much exercise i can offer! :O I would say, moderate amount. I'm not overly active, I prefer taking long walks instead of jogging.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Puppy Dog

Thank you all for helping. : ) I'm going to do some research on Newfoundlands.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halee.R View Post
Thank you all for helping. : ) I'm going to do some research on Newfoundlands.
They really are great dogs. I would just stress the basic obedience while they are puppies - seems like most that come in for grooming are complete and total IDIOTS (loving, slobbering idiots, but still idiots) because their owners never taught them any manners. So we get to deal with a 100+ pound puppy that acts like it is still eight weeks old. No fun. Their exercise requirement would probably be about what you want, too.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Newfies are great. Absolutely not guard dogs though!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Newfs look pretty cool but, from what I've read, they seem to be the top shedders and droolers, along with being a poor watch dog. Those are some cons i guess. : (
Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlesmom View Post
To be perfectly honest a big, guard-type breed isn't the only type that will give you what you are looking for. A medium sized dog can also meet what you are looking for.
That. I have a GSD/BC mix, she's about 40lbs, and the sweetest thing EVAR. Yet, people cross the road when they see us coming She also is a good guard in the sense she barks if somebody is coming, and will rush the door when they come in. I'd say anything over 30lbs, darker coloured with prick ears would do the job

Also, people are less likely to break in if you have a dog(s) rather than if you don't. Dogs make enough noise that it's easier to just go to the next house without one, no matter what the dog looks like.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halee.R View Post
Newfs look pretty cool but, from what I've read, they seem to be the top shedders and droolers, along with being a poor watch dog. Those are some cons i guess. : (
They do shed and they do drool, but from what I've seen about them they'll bark at the door. Heck, even Labs bark at the door. And no, they aren't going to eat whoever is at the door...but anyone who is stupid enough to take on a 100+ big black dog isn't really going to care if the dog has a bite to back up the bark, just IMO.

We have a Bernese Mountain Dog that boards quite frequently, and if I'm walking him alone outside in the yard and he sees any men walk by on the road he postures and woofs at them. He is the friendliest dog in the world and he would make a horrible "guard" dog in the sense that he would get physical with someone, but he is sure as heck imposing.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
They do shed and they do drool, but from what I've seen about them they'll bark at the door. Heck, even Labs bark at the door. And no, they aren't going to eat whoever is at the door...but anyone who is stupid enough to take on a 100+ big black dog isn't really going to care if the dog has a bite to back up the bark, just IMO.

We have a Bernese Mountain Dog that boards quite frequently, and if I'm walking him alone outside in the yard and he sees any men walk by on the road he postures and woofs at them. He is the friendliest dog in the world and he would make a horrible "guard" dog in the sense that he would get physical with someone, but he is sure as heck imposing.
I guess I'm not really looking for an actual guard dog, so I don't mind if a Newfoundland isn't a guard dog, I'm looking for a vigilant watch dog and when I read that most Newfies make poor watch dogs not alerting anything new, that was a little of a draw back. But besides that, I could probably put up with hair and drool. (I'm not a neat freak :P)

Are Berners good watch dogs? Better than a Newf?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Puppy Dog

I have labs (I know, not the scariest breed...lol).
One of my girls is very protective and she alerts me to anyone pulling into my driveway, people walking by the house (we live in a very rural area-so this is a good thing) or shady people(handy because I walk my girls at the park alone).
She will raise her hackles and she has a nasty bark. She's also a big, blocky chocolate girl-so she's darker. Someone actually told me she looked mean...lol
I totally encourage her protective tendencies and reward them. She is a very friendly dog-but she's always very alert and aware of her surroundings and other people/animals. I have no doubt she would protect me if it was necessary/

She also alerts on animals in our yard-coyotes, foxes and recently a big black bear outside our windows.