Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Resident fainting goat

The hardest jump I think is going from 2 to 3. after that I think it's all just cake lol

With two, you have a pair, you can rent in quite a few places, walk them together pretty easily, board them together etc.. any more than that, especially renting, you are going to hit some speed bumps.

but in my experience, it's not harder doing 4 or 5. other than the fact that it's an odd number, which bugs me lol but if you dogs play in pairs, it might be a third-wheel kind of situation
It's a little harder to calculate food wise. 4 plus the usual 2-cup thing seems to translate easier into the usually lbs of bags of food than 5.

Oh and holding leashes if you DO walk together. With 4, 2 leashes in each hand kind of evens things out.
With 5, there is always 3 dogs on one side of you.

Crating. If you have 4 you can just stack 2 crates on top of two others. 5 presents a weird shape problem as to where to put the 5th crate.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I've been told the magic number is three - once you go over three, it's pretty much even. But I think that magic number varies for people. I think it also really depends on the dogs.

Like Auggie, Pepper, and Payton. Pepper is happy to just snuggle up next to me, maybe chew on a tennis ball. The boys run around playing together being nuts and she just hangs out next to me, like "loooooove yooooooou" the whole time LOL. She almost doesn't even count, she's just so low key and not demanding at all. So given that those are my existing three, I'm not worried at all about adding a fourth dog. Three was going to be my max number, and after #2 turned out to be Pepper, I decided to change it to make room for her... given she wasn't really what I was looking for. I'm definitely not worried about ultimately having four with the three I have right now.

It also helps that all of mine are good in crates, so if I ever need a break or somebody needs a time-out, I can just pop them in the crate for a while and let everybody chill out.

So I think it really depends on the dogs you have. BUT I do agree that the challenge of having a lot of seniors at the same time is a really good one. I also wouldn't just be worried about how hard it might be on the wallet, but realistically, if you have a bunch of oldies who might be going pretty close to each other, you might also need to worry about if your young dog who always had a full house could quickly end up without any companions... I think there's a lot of timing challenges involved with your current situation, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

No, housing is really the main issue I'm thinking of, especially since we don't know where we're going to be after graduation. But, on that note, if we're going to have trouble renting we're already going to have trouble renting with four dogs. Don't think a fifth addition will make much difference there. However, that is why I'm definitely going to be waiting until at least the fall of next year or spring of 2014 before doing anything - I want to make sure we're able to have a place that will let us have at least the four dogs before even considering adding a fifth.

I do know that in this area at least, it shouldn't be impossible to find a place that would allow multiple dogs. Most rental agencies would be out (max is two), but as said above, private rentals. Where Mike is leasing currently, I'm pretty sure his landlord wouldn't care at all as long as the money was paid for the deposit...but I'm also fairly certain we won't be staying in this area.

Having four dogs wasn't planned...at most, we would have had three. Chloe, Cynder, and New Puppy. Inheriting Gracie and Cooper wasn't on anyone's to do list. But now that they're here, if we're already going to have to try to rent with four dogs, would renting with five be that much different?

Quote:
I just want to chime in to make sure you have considered what it might be like to have 5 dogs when they are all entering old age. I mean if you have 6 years apart on your new one that seems like quite a bit of time but if you already have 4 that are similar ages that can get really expensive if they need medical help around similar times.
I'm hoping that there is enough of an age gap it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Cynder and Chloe are similar ages, Gracie and Cooper are similar ages, but there is about a three or four year gap between the two sets. Blackie and Rose were three years apart and I actually really liked that. They were similar enough in age to have similar activity/stamina levels, but far enough apart that health issues due to old age occurred at different times. We also won't have any other animals other than the dogs, unless the ferrets and rats manage to live another two years (of which I'm doubtful considering the rats are already around 1.5 years and the ferrets both have cancer), so that will help ease the financial burden a bit.

Either way, I won't be rushing into anything and if getting a fifth dog won't work, it won't work...but if it isn't going to be impossible/impractical to the extreme, I'd like to find a way to make it work.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Luckily, the way the current dog dynamics are, a third wheel thing would actually be a good idea. Chloe and Cynder aren't crated, and Cooper and Gracie are crated together, so we'd still be at two crates with Puppy.

Cooper and Gracie are buds, and Cynder is kind of included into that number, but she is more of a loner than anything. Chloe tries to play with all three of them, but Cynder is hit in miss, Gracie freaks out, and she and Cooper are still trying to figure out how to play with one another considering Cooper is 8 pounds and she's 50. If anything, Puppy would be a companion for Chloe. That way we'd have the Gracie and Cooper duo, the Chloe and Puppy duo (and she can play with Puppy to her hearts content), and then Cynder gets to be her loner self.

Leash walking, it would probably be small dogs and big dogs going out together. There is no way Gracie could keep up with Chloe on our walks anyway (we go at a very fast clip), so they're already going to have to go for walks at separate times.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I've been told the magic number is three - once you go over three, it's pretty much even. But I think that magic number varies for people. I think it also really depends on the dogs.
This, particularly the bolded part.

I have 6 right now. But 5 are super easy. Sport wants to eat Kaiden (see its NOT a JRT being a problem!!) and annoys the heck out of the whippets. But the other 5 are great. Right now as I type they are free chillin around me. We were outside puttering (emptying water troughs, fixing the lawn mower wheel..) and they were all loose happy together.

So those 5 are super easy for the most part. But if we only had Kaiden and Sport it would be stressful. Heck Dash and Sport would be stressful and there is no eating.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Are you dead yet?

I've had 5, and it wasn't a big jump. For me, the big jump is going from one or two to 3+, especially since they have to be rotated and separated.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm All Ears

6 was another big jump for me both times. Two to three was also a jump. 3, 4, 5, feel about the same. Personally, I never want 6 dogs again.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

I went from 1 to 3 to 5. Then to 4, where we've been for a few years. With five it was nice because we had three little dogs (under 25lbs), one medium (50lbs) and one large (90lbs). The three little ones we always said equaled one large, so we really only had three dogs. I used to walk them all at the same time or take them out it small groups.

Right now we're not the most peaceful household at 4 with the girls trying to constantly eat each other, so I'm sure going back to five would be super stressful.

In the future I think my max is 1-2 but I do see the appeal or having multiple dogs. I love walking multiple dogs and I love, love group pictures.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador