Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 PM
orange iguanas.

I haven't noticed a correlation. Lucy never got variety in her diet as a pup (she still doesn't), but she's not sensitive at all. I never worry when we switch her kibble. I can't recall a single day in her life when she's had soft stool. It just doesn't happen with her.

Juno has always been fed lots of variety, but she can have a sensitive stomach. I don't usually do gradual switches with kibble, but I have to keep more of an eye on her poop to see what's going on. And it's not that she's the type of dog that CAN'T have new things without being thrown into a frenzy... I just have to watch how much of it she gets. Every once in a while I'll give her a meal of Sojos instead of kibble, and typically her poop is a little softer after that.

I used to have problems with her getting full-blown diarrhea all the time. Every time it would happen, we would end up trying a different brand of food, and the problem would go away. Not sure what the deal with all that was but thankfully she's not THAT bad anymore.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have a theory that the more things you feed the dog as a puppy, the less sensitive their stomachs. All 3 of our dogs have been eating everything since 10 week old puppies, deli meat, meat from cooking, some odd bites of bread, cookie, veggies, fruits, different kibble, raw, etc. and all 3 can eat absolutely anything without any problems. No transitioning between foods, no transitioning between raw, any kind of human food, no problems.

So when I raise puppies I try to give them lots and lots of variety. That's my theory at least from our sample of 3.
That was my theory until Gusto! No idea how Meg ate before I got her at age 1-ish, but she has an iron stomach. She's thrown up once in 6 years, and maybe had diarrhea two or three times - never bad. And she gets everything.

Gusto has had a sensitive tummy since I've known him at 5 weeks or so. It isn't horrible - I can give him a little bit of almost anything, but he can't indulge like Meg can or it is nasty. He's gotten a touch better as he's gotten older (or I've gotten more careful about what I give him) but it is nothing like Meg.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

My dogs get a ton of variety in their diets - different kibble, cans, treats, raw, and "people food". They rarely have soft stools and never throw up. They also get probiotics and digestive enzymes in their food.

I do think that feeding a variety of foods, for most dogs, helps keep their stomach stronger.