Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Puppy Dog

Default What type of dog fits my lifestyle?

I've been looking at dog breeds for quite awhile trying to see which one fits me/my lifestyle the best, and i guess i need some help choosing.
I've figured out what i want in a dog, but after looking at some dog breeds, i don't think any breeds fit what i want. I'm not that experienced with dogs and training them, so I think dogs like Rottweilers might be kinda difficult for me. But yet, I want a dog who is wary with strangers. I'm not that fond of those friendly to everybody breeds like Golden Retrievers.

I want a dog that is vigilant and bark and size alone will restrain intruders. So my problem is, i like the big vigilant intimidating dogs, but yet i'm a novice and experienced dog owners and trainers say that a novice shouldn't own those type of dogs because they are assertive and strong willed. This got me stuck in the mud because i wouldn't be that comfortable owning and controlling a strong willed dominant breed. So now i don't know which breed would fit me because i want a big, vigilant, intimidating dog........(i don't know about an attack guard dog) but i'm not experienced, and a dog like a Rottweiler would probably be too challenging for me. So i'm confused with that part.

Shedding doesn't matter to me, I'm willing to groom but not too much. I like velcro dogs and I'd prefer a more easily trainable dog.

I've looked at quite a few dog breeds but i can't find any that fit me. Could you guys help me out?? Do you know of any breeds that fit this?

I've most often considered either a Bernese Mountain dog, or a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, but a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog might be a little challenging too. What do you think?