Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I have more energy, more 'motivation' to stick to the diet. Though one issue with low carb is the 'keto flu' Carbs are very addictive and you end up going through withdrawal which can suck.

I ended up doing a paper for my 4th year biochem course on leptin, insulin and obesity and doing very well on it. If anyone wants a copy just PM me. It explains how low carb works (for those who it works for) Its particularly important if diabetes is a risk. There is also a documentary on youtube called Fat Head. About an hour into the show it goes into why the unnaturally high carb diet North Americans is the leading cause of obesity and diabetes.
I've only found a few video clips from Fathead on youtube, can you link the full one? I know it's on Netflix, though, if anyone has Netflix and a free few hours. It's an awesome bit, and really what got me started on the low carb and Primal stuff. Super easy to understand and follow, too. Gives loads of info.

Also, high fat intake is great for the carb flu. And if you are cutting carbs, you really should be upping the saturated fats anyway. But it works. This last time I tried low carb/Primal, I didn't have carb flu at all. Didn't even notice. Natural fats are good for you.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Wild At Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
This HCG diet seems like bunk.

I mean, I'm sure it does work. Anyone will lose weight on a 500 calorie a day diet. That's pretty miserable though.

For those who have quite a bit of weight to lose, it doesn't seem sustainable long term. It doesn't teach you proper eating habits, as you're going from one extreme to the other. (eating too much, to eating not enough) Losing weight is changing the way you live, at least for me. It's being more active and making the right food choices. Most people need 500-800 calories a day just for body functions - without adding in daily life. Just not something I would do.
I agree!

I don't think I'd be able to survive just eating 500 calories a day, my "target" is 1200 calories. Sometimes I eat under, at or above that... but it is always more than 500 calories. Heck, most of the time my lunch alone is 500 calories (my favorite meal of the day!). LOL

I did really bad this past week (pretty much just snacked on now good things) and I'm trying to get into a routine of eating at certain times and eating healthier things. It was so much easier at school because I had a certain time when I had to be up to eat breakfast, certain time I had to eat lunch, etc., now I can pretty much do whatever.

For me - which I understand doesn't always work for everyone - just eating less, eating better and exercising more have made a tremendous impact. That is also how my sister lost like 120 pounds, so it definitely works. It just takes time and dedication, like everything else in life

Harleigh <3
Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm All Ears

My target set by my nutritionist is about 1400 calories. Spread out over eating every 2-3 hours of the day. I feel like I eat constantly. But it's almost always a protein and then something else like a veggie or a fruit. I am not doing super low carb like some are on here but just cutting it back quite a bit. If I have carb, it's a fruit or veggie or sometimes a whole grain. I try to eat mostly veggies and meat.

Tomorrow I am starting my exercise program, which will be 30 mins once a day plus walking like I usually do for now. Hoping to bump it up to 2x a day.

I lost a lot of weight when I just cut back on unhealthy food and upped my exercise a lot. Didn't think about it at the time but I mostly cut out processed foods and carbs and didn't count calories at all. I'm sure my calorie intake was lower but not too low. I felt great and it was sustainable in the long run if I hadn't gotten off track when my mom died. (I know it's an excuse, it really is my fault I gained it back).

I feel like so many people focus on losing weight in X amount of time that you miss out on the big goal which is a healthy lifestyle. Trust me, I'd love to just drop my excess weight in a couple weeks but these quick diets are not sustainable.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I've only found a few video clips from Fathead on youtube, can you link the full one? I know it's on Netflix, though, if anyone has Netflix and a free few hours. It's an awesome bit, and really what got me started on the low carb and Primal stuff. Super easy to understand and follow, too. Gives loads of info.

Also, high fat intake is great for the carb flu. And if you are cutting carbs, you really should be upping the saturated fats anyway. But it works. This last time I tried low carb/Primal, I didn't have carb flu at all. Didn't even notice. Natural fats are good for you.
As I am doing keto.. lots of natural fats I did a quick look and I can't find it. I know I have emailed it so if I remember I will look for it and post it. I sent it to my mom (who had already lost 50+ pounds doing low carb after a life of not being able to lose weight by calorie restriction)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Honestly everything I'm reading says that HCG that is over the counter and not prescribed is illegal and not proven. Doesn't seem safe to me.
Mine was prescribed (not over the counter) and totally legal. I researched the crap out of it before I started as I will NOT do fad crash diets. This, IF DONE THE PROPER WAY, is not that and yes, is very safe and effetive. Its purpose is to reset the hypothalamus. For people who watch what they eat, exercise and still loose nothing, its very nice to be able to help your body reset.

I get migraines very easily if I do not get enough calories. I get shaky, and sick. On the HCG, nope, didnt happen. I had great energy and felt better than usual.

Its not for everyone for sure, and there is a TON of misinformation (both pro and con) out there on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
It really is a easy diet to follow. Here's the "Primal Food Pyramid":

Holy crap that was a big picture! I'll link it instead:

Picture!
Looking at that, it's exactly what I'm doing, minus the allowances for rice, etc. Even the "indulgences" are the same -- red wine and dark chocolate

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Just try me..

LOL that food pyramid is what I am doing too, though not an athlete so I don't need the starchy tubers etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Felurian

I've been wondering, Kerri, if the reason I've been getting stuck lately might be partly because I'm not getting enough fats?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian