Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Just try me..

I would like to know how 'bad' the salmonella is. I mean yes they should recall, one doesn't expect contaminated food. BUT is this due to pet health or people health? Feeding raw I never overly worry about salmonella...

That said I liked that costco called and told me (cause I had bought some kirkland food) that there had been a recall and if you had a bag from x to x date to bring it back. Though they said no kirkland bags had been found to contain salmonella they had been manufactured at the same time.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm really hoping when I go to TSC to get Chloe her food (4Health Salmon and Potato), it hasn't been recalled...don't know what else I'd get her. Can't afford anything more expensive, and she has allergies so I can just buy her a "cheap" food to tide her over without her being miserable. Bah.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Out of two TSC stores we've hit up the past couple days, both had most of the Diamond stocks pulled. One store had all the Lamb still there (our bag has the recalled code, so I don't know, must have been from a different/new shipment), and the other had some Lamb and a couple bags of Buffalo, and a couple bags of 4health out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
I've seen on some boards that people are changing to Earthborn Holistic.
It has been the most comparable to TotW, and when I was almost out of TotW once but not near a store with it, I got a bag of EB and my guys all did well on it. I've been recommending it for people who are wanting to switch to something similar, they have a buffalo and fish GF that is much like TotW, and the costs of the food isn't too much more (at least around me).
Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post

I've seen on some boards that people are changing to Earthborn Holistic.
This is probably going to become my new go-to recommendation. Even though our store doesn't have any of the recalled food, I couldn't be comfortable recommending TOTW anymore (which I only did because people get a little freaked out by typical grain-free prices).

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
This is probably going to become my new go-to recommendation. Even though our store doesn't have any of the recalled food, I couldn't be comfortable recommending TOTW anymore (which I only did because people get a little freaked out by typical grain-free prices).
This. I used to recommend TOTW as the most economical grain-free food - we sell it for about $45 for a 30lb bag. After this, I'm probably going to start recommending Earthborn, which is about $50 for 30lbs BUT it does a frequent buyers program (buy 10 get 1 free) AND almost always has coupons available (which I've never seen for TOTW) - in the long run, I think it would end up being cheaper.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:00 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I would like to know how 'bad' the salmonella is. I mean yes they should recall, one doesn't expect contaminated food. BUT is this due to pet health or people health? Feeding raw I never overly worry about salmonella...

That said I liked that costco called and told me (cause I had bought some kirkland food) that there had been a recall and if you had a bag from x to x date to bring it back. Though they said no kirkland bags had been found to contain salmonella they had been manufactured at the same time.
From what I've read Dekka, most everything they are pulling is like what Costco told you about kirkland.........they haven't tested positive, but it's a precaution to avoid possible issues I guess.

We have a TOTW bag here within the date range. Orson had already eaten 1/2 of it and had/has no symptoms. *shrugs* I'm not returning it........I figure if it was contaminated with salmonella, he would have been sick long before now.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I think one of the press releases said something about a person getting sick, but I'd have to go look through them all again. I don't really worry about salmonella either... my guys get raw chicken snackies at least twice a week.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

They've had people get sick from handling Diamond brand dog foods...
Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Technocat

To the mods -
How about a perm sticky "database" of contaminated and recalled food ??
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
orange iguanas.

I'm not worried about my pets getting sick, either. Lucy is still eating Kirkland food, and the food is in a plastic container so I have no clue if her bag is involved in the recall... but I'm not throwing it away a) because technically nothing is wrong with the Kirkland brand and b) she's been just fine eating it. We won't be buying it for her again though. This is merely "the straw that broke the camel's back" because it's not like I was ever satisfied with Diamond.

I do think it's really just a concern for people, though. My cat eats raw. My dogs get raw scraps. Salmonella could always be lurking in their food bowls, but they're just fine.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013