Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM
ACooper's Avatar
ACooper ACooper is offline
<--------Orson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: IN
Posts: 27,689
Default

Sorry you had to go through this s.sally. You stopped and did what you could. ((((HUGS))))

As for taking kitty home and burying him, that's exactly what I would have done after checking the house/houses close by. Letting the cat run around town, no tags or way to identify him........pffft, I don't care about their feelings or if they are looking for him. That may sound mean or cold, so be it. People who own cats and let the roam have that choice, I don't preach to them about it, but they also know what can happen and they have to deal with it......no sympathy from me, the only party getting sympathy is kitty. *shrugs*
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Miakoda's Avatar
Miakoda Miakoda is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I'm so sorry! I can't even tell you how many times I've had close calls with cats... I just wish people would keep their pets safely contained.
This.

I want to be sympathetic to these pet owners, but I find myself lacking sympathy. Why? Because on one occasion, we had a little over $800 worth of damage to my husband's Scion Tc after he hit a cat that darted in front of him (he was going 50 in a 50 mp zone), and we have a $500 deductible.

Then, many years ago, my younger brother was driving my Camaro, when he hit a 100-lb Lab that ran right in front of him. Since it was my car and my insurance, I had to foot the bill. The car had $1,100 worth of damage, but thankfully my deductible was just $100. However, I did go after the dog's owners, as in my opinion, they are 100% responsible.

Honestly, if there is a next time, I will go after the animal's owner in small claims court. It is NOT right that I should have to shell out money all because someone cannot make the effort to keep their dog/cat contained or restrained.
__________________
The Hokey Pokey. That's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Xandra's Avatar
Xandra Xandra is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,792
Default

I dont' agree with taking the cat home and burying it at all. Take it to the shelter if you can't leave it on the road... but if it isn't visible it should go somewhere they can check for a chip at least.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,003
Default

I called the shelter today after work (they were closed yesterday for elections) and told them where to find the cat should anyone call. I actually hit it right near the shelter, but it was closed at the time and honestly it would have never occurred to me to take the body there.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the cat did end up damaging my car. The plastic mud guard thing on the underside of the front of the car was knocked loose. DH had to zip tie it up until he is able to fix it.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Miakoda's Avatar
Miakoda Miakoda is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I dont' agree with taking the cat home and burying it at all. Take it to the shelter if you can't leave it on the road... but if it isn't visible it should go somewhere they can check for a chip at least.
Well, not to be a party pooper, but I don't agree with letting one's cats run loose to cause such havoc and/or be such a nuisance.
__________________
The Hokey Pokey. That's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Have to agree with Coop. I've had cats, I would probably have one now except Tallulah thinks they are delicious, but they were indoors unless they managed to sneak out somehow. The world is a dangerous place for a domestic cat, and that's not figuring in diseases.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Xandra's Avatar
Xandra Xandra is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Well, not to be a party pooper, but I don't agree with letting one's cats run loose to cause such havoc and/or be such a nuisance.
lol what party? I'm not saying you have to agree with letting a cat roam but I don't think it's a lot to ask to leave the cat at the side of the road instead of taking it with you.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
GipsyQueen's Avatar
GipsyQueen GipsyQueen is offline
<(<) <()> (>)>
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,963
Default

((((hugs)))) I've hit a kitty before. I did the same as you did - left it at the side of the road (had no tags) and called the shelter to tell them where the kitty could be found.


So how is one supposed to restrain their cat? It's not like you can leash them to take them outside. They're cats. Our old cat (she got hit by a car as well) came and went as she pleased. Though she was always close when it was feeding time. I would never keep a cat indoors. (Unless for medical reasons ect.) Cat's don't cause a havoc just because they are outdoor cats.
I've hit a few wild animals (we live in the woods) that just darted across the road - that doesn't make them a nuisance....
__________________

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Red.Apricot's Avatar
Red.Apricot Red.Apricot is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
((((hugs)))) I've hit a kitty before. I did the same as you did - left it at the side of the road (had no tags) and called the shelter to tell them where the kitty could be found.


So how is one supposed to restrain their cat? It's not like you can leash them to take them outside. They're cats. Our old cat (she got hit by a car as well) came and went as she pleased. Though she was always close when it was feeding time. I would never keep a cat indoors. (Unless for medical reasons ect.) Cat's don't cause a havoc just because they are outdoor cats.
I've hit a few wild animals (we live in the woods) that just darted across the road - that doesn't make them a nuisance....
Cats can cause havoc on ecosystems.

Maybe it's the area where I live (suburbs, bordered by chaparral) but it's really not safe at all for cats to run loose here. Their lives are much, much shorter, and they can be a huge nuisance.

Right now I'm battling my neighbor's cat, who has decided that my front mat is a great place to pee. Every. Night. He's also been pooping in my vegetable box.

It's also totally possible to leash/harness train a cat.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 AM
GipsyQueen's Avatar
GipsyQueen GipsyQueen is offline
<(<) <()> (>)>
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
Cats can cause havoc on ecosystems.

Maybe it's the area where I live (suburbs, bordered by chaparral) but it's really not safe at all for cats to run loose here. Their lives are much, much shorter, and they can be a huge nuisance.

Right now I'm battling my neighbor's cat, who has decided that my front mat is a great place to pee. Every. Night. He's also been pooping in my vegetable box.

It's also totally possible to leash/harness train a cat.
Hm - Everyone in our neighbourhood has outdoor cats - we've never had a problem with any of them (neither have other neighbours).
__________________

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site