Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Plus One

Default Fudge went lure coursing!!

But I didn't get any pictures because I forgot to tell my parents I was going to enter him so they had disappeared by the time we went. He only went twice and the first time he had no idea what to do and just ran because the other dogs were. He turned and came running back at the last corner lol. The second time he was much more wound up (I could barely hold him and he was barking his head off!) and flew off. He was beaten by a lurcher but he had a complete ball and that was the most important thing! I wanted to go back tomorrow and try him (and Scamp) at it again but they're not going to be there so looks like it'll be another year before we can.

Here's a picture of 2 other dogs since I couldn't get any of Fudge racing
Untitled by tasfudgeheely, on Flickr

Happy Fudge after he'd ran

And my loot of the day. I ended up spending more money than I'd brought with me!

Last edited by Dogs6; 05-05-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Mutts to you

Yay for Fudge! How long was the course? That's quite a haul, too - I'm just as bad about buying stuff for the dogs so no criticism from here!

Riley really loves lure coursing, and he's the only dog I've owned that does - the rest of them didn't see the point of chasing a plastic bag around a field. On the other hand, they'll do their best to catch a real bunny if they scare one up during our walks.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Plus One

I'm not quite sure about length of the course, it wasn't that long though because it had to fit in the main arena. I can't believe I wasn't going to enter him! It was "Terrier and lurcher racing" and then I worried that he would get overexcited and bite another dog or something. It just goes to show that I should have more faith in my dog!

I know what you mean though about some dogs not thnking it was worth the effort. There was a little whippet who started off screamIng and then got to the first corner, realised there were people and stopped to get petted.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Mutts to you

That's what I'm worried about with Riley, he tends to get possessive over things he thinks should be his. I don't know if he'd be focused enough on the lure to ignore other dogs running with him.

The local lure coursing club offers Junior Courser tests and fun runs (600 yards, one dog at a time) twice a year, and that works pretty well for us. Is there a lure coursing club in your area?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Plus One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
That's what I'm worried about with Riley, he tends to get possessive over things he thinks should be his. I don't know if he'd be focused enough on the lure to ignore other dogs running with him.

The local lure coursing club offers Junior Courser tests and fun runs (600 yards, one dog at a time) twice a year, and that works pretty well for us. Is there a lure coursing club in your area?
I don't think Fudge would have turned on as quickly if he hadn't been with the other dogs to start with. We had watched for a while but I wasn't sure if I was going to enter him so I kept him calm enough that he almost went to sleep :roll eyes: . His second time he was super focused on the lure and ignored all the other dogs completely. The man running the lure was very good though. He had the lure up in his hands the second it stopped so that the dogs couldn't start getting possessive over it.

I'm searching for a lure coursing club locally but I can't seem to find one. I can find events but they all seem to be for serious racing people. There's an event on in a few months time that's got a "pet" section to run dogs in and if I can get there and find a muzzle for Scamp (I won't take any risks with him) I might enter both the boys. If Aura is out of her "OMG dogs are going to murder me" stage by then I might try her. There is a puppy section as well.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Mutts to you

Are the events local? Last year I contacted the club holding one of the breeds only events in the area and volunteered to work. Met a lot of nice people, saw lots of cool dogs and learned about coursing. Just about everyone said I could have brought Riley to do some practice runs after the event was over.
I think the local club's events are over for now (too hot) but gonna have to see if I can volunteer again in the fall - it was a lot of fun.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:43 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

So cool!!!! I'd love to do lure coursing someday if I get a Whippet like I'm hoping.

It's so awesome to watch too, I'd love to go to an event sometime.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

looks like he had a blast!! We went lure coursing this weekend too