Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Training weaves

What's the best method? My trainer has all three- channels, weave-o-matics, and 2x2's. She prefers the 2x2s but said some methods work better for certain dogs. We tried the dogs today on the channels and then the 2x2s and the other two dogs definitely took better to the 2x2s so that was simple for them. Mia took right to both. Went right down the channel right away and was driving through the 2x2s at a slight angle already.

When we trained before we were using guides but we never got very good so I'm just treating this as starting from scratch.

So she told me to research and decide. Are there pros/cons to either?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM
The Monster.

I think the major pro for 2x2s is that you get consistent, independent weaves that you can send to from any angle, from any distance. The weaveomatic seems good for fast, drivey weaves. Guides seem to be the least ideal of the bunch, where I see people babysitting their weaves too much and not using them as an opportunity to gain ground and show better positioning for the next obstacle.

I taught Cohen via 2x2, and I really like her weaves. She weaves a bit too upright, but she's fast regardless and very consistent. They're always my favourite part of any course.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Top Dog

Seeing as though I teach a 2x2 Weaves class every single Tuesday and have done so FOREVERS... I obviously vote for 2x2's. However, it needs to be done right, and not rushed. I'm not a fan of getting 12 poles in 12 days because I believe it's a very specialized movement for our dogs and it's not safe to push them into using muscles they most likely haven't used very much with out proper build up.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I also love 2x2 method. We started with Kimma on channels, and she would miss entries a lot and just didn't seem to "get it" when they were pushed closer. Never tried the weave-o-matics.

Anyway, I trained her to 12 weaves in about two-three months total of constant working. She has the most stable, fast weaves out of anyone in my agility class (they all did channels) and she learned it in a faster amount of time (two-three months versus four 8-week sessions and maybe more for some of the dogs). She can also hit difficult entries with greater consistency (I think she prefers them, TBH).

I actually think she could have learned them faster (I also don't like the idea of 12 weaves in 12 days, however), but I took a break from weaving as I was acquiring my own (only had borrowed 6 for a while as we weren't in classes at the time, but didn't want her to get stuck on 6 so we sort of stopped).

She actually loves weaves, and that definitely makes me happy!

ETA - Wait, there is a Sheltie in our class who is very good at weaves as well (he and Kimma are about the same as far as consistency goes, but he has a bit of speed on her), but he came from another club and I think I overheard that they learned 2x2s. I will have to ask next time I see them

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

I tried, and tried, and tried, for months, to get Enda to learn weaves via 2x2. It never worked. We kept having to go back steps too often, and when she wasn't progressing past a certain point I just trashed the idea, it wasn't working for her, she couldn't "click" with it. I wound up doing the "off-set" method, all I have are stick-in-the-ground poles. This one isn't fully working either, I still a year later have yet to get her to do them lined up strait in one line, they are off-set right now at about 1". Every day I'll let her do them at that, then try to move them slowly together about 1/4", but by the next day I end up having to start out with them moved back to 1" again.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Personally...

I don't think there's a wrong way to do it, if you're conscious of the pitfalls of any method and work to avoid them. I have seen dogs go through my program and earn champion titles in multiple venues and they've learned weaves a variety of ways.

Pick what you're comfortable with, and go with it. Are you going to have equipment at home to practice on? What kind is it?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Personally...

I don't think there's a wrong way to do it, if you're conscious of the pitfalls of any method and work to avoid them. I have seen dogs go through my program and earn champion titles in multiple venues and they've learned weaves a variety of ways.
I second this (even though I love 2x2's)... There was a really nice article in the May edition of Cleanrun outlining the different methods and their faults.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Agreed with what others have said! For example, I know that if I were to ever teach Pentti weaves, he would probably NOT get 2x2s, mostly because it would take him forever to figure out what I want. He would probably do best on channel, TBH. 2x2s are just what has worked for Kimma and some others I have worked with

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Personally...

Ditto. You find what works best, both for your mind and your dog's, and you go with that. I fully intended to do 2x2s with Gusto; I went to a seminar to see how it was done, borrowed the DVD...and wound up training his the same way I trained Meg's - free shaping with them upright and in line. I think he would have been great learning them 2x2 as well (Meg would have had a terrible time with that method), but free shaping works well for me. I'm beyond pleased at how well his poles are coming along.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Well I don't have weaves yet but my trainer is making some to sell to us for cheap and she can make either weave-o-matics or 2x2s. I am leaning towards 2x2 at the moment because I think it will work well for Mia.