Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
From the wording of the article, it looks like the dogs are kept caged in the day and given free roam between the fences at night. Honestly, if that's the route the prison wants to go, I'd go with a genuine animal deterrent. Heck, turn loose a pride of lions during the night and call it done. They'd probably be far more effective than any wolfdog, if only psychologically.

ETA: What about alligators? It's Louisiana, surely there are plenty of those around!
Heck, put a flock of nasty-tempered geese out there - no one would be able to sneak through.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Puppy Dog

So many breeds already out there bred specifically as guard dogs, dogs who can have predictable temperments and they want to breed unpredictable hybrids? Wow can this be any more stupid/irrational??
Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Felurian

Isn't Angola the prison that has the Fila breeding program as well?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Isn't Angola the prison that has the Fila breeding program as well?
WHAT>?>???? i never have heard of that one either.

I know they have a rodeo and a golf course , nothing metioned on there website about dog breeding though.

how do i not know this ? I am going to google and see what i can dig up.

http://doc.louisiana.gov/LSP/

is there website.

I want to go play golf there , and plan on going to the rodeo this year .
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

haha check it rene , i googled fila breed in angola prison and this popped up ,

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...-Cuz-Mia-Asked

I wonder Miakoda knows more about this than i do , i went in high school also , but went to Hunts instead of Angola.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Felurian

Miakoda's the one who told me about it, lol. Long time ago.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

they used to breed houlas for stock & trailing break outs.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
i am appalled that the prison is breeding animals .

they breed mutt horses and now dogs. i dont get it.

as to the owner , it is a 17 yr old boy.
this is a train wreck.
The prison also breeds some of the finest Bloodhounds around, and also has some Filas as well.

I got to meet some of the bloodhounds, and got an amazing view (from about 20 yards away) of 2 Filas, while I was there for a field trip my senior year of highschool. From my understanding, those dogs have some very high-level training. They aren't just fed broken glass and lead, and beaten every other day, and then turned loose to savagely rip arms and legs off of people.

Before anyone boo-hoos over poor didn't-pay-their-speeding-ticket prisoners, Angola is not your typical correctional facility. They are a high-max state penitentary with some of the most vile, evil human beings to ever walk the earth being housed there. If one wants to escape, I have no problems with a Fila getting the chance to do as he was born and bred to do. If it means a prisoner gets fatally mauled versus him having to chance to break into my home and murder my family, so be it.

My Dad did prison ministry at Angola. I know waaaay too much about the history of many of the prisoners he got to meet.

As for this situation, here are my thoughts:

-this dog does not look like a wolf-dog to me. If there is any wolf, it's a very, very, very low percentage.

-if the owner would've freaking kept the dog confined/restrained, this dog wouldn't be in this situation. The dog getting loose wasn't some one-time "oopsie! my bad!" situation; it was a repetitive offense.

-as for the dog not being aggressive, when your dog is roaming loose without you, you have no freaking idea how it's acting, so stop saying you do. I'm tired of hearing, "...but my dog is friendly. There's no way he was chasing the little boy. He just wanted to play!". Maybe he did just want to play, but maybe...just maybe...your precious little snookerdoodleums has a predatory/aggressive side you're pretty little rose-colored glasses didn't allow you to see.

The dog's owner is at fault. If she wants to blame someone for how the dog ended up in this situation, she should blame herself.

My neighbors dogs are continuously allowed to roam loose. Just because they haven't bitten anyone (yet), doesn't mean I am happy to put up with it. Dog owners have a responsibility to keep their dogs from being a nuisance to others; this means keep your damned dog on a leash or within a fence or in your home at all times.

**as for Angola's breeding of wolf-dogs, I'd heard a rumor, but it's not something they go about bragging about to the general public. But then again, when you house the nastiest murderers and rapists and child abusers/rapists/murders from throughout the country, more power to you.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Felurian

Quote:
They are a high-max state penitentary with some of the most vile, evil human beings to ever walk the earth being housed there. If one wants to escape, I have no problems with a Fila getting the chance to do as he was born and bred to do. If it means a prisoner gets fatally mauled versus him having to chance to break into my home and murder my family, so be it.
One of the reasons for using Filas is because it is in their nature to hold rather than maul -- as long as you don't fight back and stay still. That's a large part of the reason they were used to track down runaway slaves in the bad old days . . . they could track, were fast enough to catch, and didn't damage the slaves unnecessarily when they did catch. Unpleasant to consider, but a lot of history is like that.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Top Dog

I have to think that, if the dog has been tranquilized a few times, the owner must have been aware of issues. They don't just dart your dog and leave it there.