Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Default Wolf dog as prison guard?

Okay , i am torn on this article.

Quote:
A state judge granted a reprieve Tuesday to a wolf dog hybrid he ordered destroyed for aggressive behavior, instead “sentencing” the animal to serve a life term as a guard dog in the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola.

Judge James Best of 18th Judicial District Court signed an order releasing custody of Chief to the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections at the request of prison officials who want to use the animal as a guard dog at Angola.

Area residents testified in Best’s courtroom last month that Chief would frequently escape from his owners’ property and terrorize them. After hearing from the witnesses, Best ordered Chief — of British Colombia wolf and German shepherd ancestry — to be euthanized.

A Pointe Coupee Parish animal control ordinance states that all dogs must be confined to an owner’s property, or secured on a leash when they are not.

Best said shortly after his ruling that he was contacted by Angola Warden Burl Cain, who wanted to take Chief into custody for guard dog service at the state’s 18,000-acre maximum security prison.

“When we saw this dog in the paper, we thought it would be a shame to euthanize (it),” Deputy Warden Bruce Dodd said.

According to the memorandum of understanding Best signed Tuesday, the state prison has developed a program in which hybrid dogs such as Chief are deployed at night within perimeter fencing encircling the prison’s individual camps.

Dodd said the program, which also makes use of surveillance cameras, has helped secure the prison following personnel layoffs related to recent budget cuts.

“We actually breed wolf hybrids here and raise them,” Dodd said.

Dodd said Chief’s aggressive behavior would make him a perfect fit among the dozen or more wolf dog hybrids already on duty at the prison.

“That’s the purpose of them,” Dodd said. “We don’t want them to be vicious killers, but to be aggressive. They become a security measure.”

Although elated that Chief won’t be put to death now, the dog’s previous owner, Vicky Smith, said she doubts Chief would do well in his new surroundings.

Smith said she purchased the wolf dog as a 5-week-old puppy for her son, who raised and cared for him since then.

“He’s not going to do well without us,” she said of Chief. “We’re his family. I think he’s going to be really, really stressed. We keep him inside our air-conditioned home. I feed him oatmeal for breakfast. You think they’re going to feed him that?”

According to the understanding between Angola and the court, all of the prison’s dogs are “well kept and given top veterinarian care.”

Despite witness testimony, Smith said, Chief is harmless and has never “bit or hurt anyone.”

“It’s not right what they’re doing,” she said. “I was going to sell my house and move out of the parish to keep my dog. I want my dog back, but once he goes to Angola I don’t think I’ll get him.”

Parish officials said Chief would be taken to Angola on Wednesday.

Dodd said the dog will spend some time training with a handler before going on patrol.

“I’m just glad for the dog,” Best said Tuesday afternoon after signing the order. “It’s a beautiful ending and the community got some relief. The dog is going to provide good service and be well taken cared of.”
http://theadvocate.com/news/2720715-...-patrol-angola

the comment from texasblessing , is all the things that ran through my head when i read the article also.

how do you feel?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

What happens should a prisoner attempt to escape and end up mauled to death? Not saying it'll happen, but what then?

I understand the thought (i.e. that it'll be a deterrent), just not sure if it's a good one in practice.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

I don't really have a problem with it other than I question its usefulness if it actually need to apprehend or protect.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I question if it's really part wolf

But yah, I question it's usefulness if needed.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

I want to know what "aggressive behavior" it did to get sent to this "job". Especially since the owner was willing to move to keep him.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
I want to know what "aggressive behavior" it did to get sent to this "job". Especially since the owner was willing to move to keep him.
http://theadvocate.com/home/2625894-...dog-euthanized

is all i could find.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

i am appalled that the prison is breeding animals .

they breed mutt horses and now dogs. i dont get it.

as to the owner , it is a 17 yr old boy.
this is a train wreck.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Behavior Nerd

The idea of breeding prison guard wolf hybrids skeeves me out enough, but to confiscate a dog from its owner who sounds like they want to work to keep it, all to put the dog in such a radically different setting sounds worse than death to me.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I question if it's really part wolf
yeah that too

Honestly if your wolf hybrid frequently gets out and your neighbors feel terrorized by it that's about the point where the state should intervene, if it's going to intervene at all. Perhaps I'd feel differently if she had no idea but I'm going to assume since it happened often and multiple people were upset by it that someone brought it to her attention and she didn't correct the situation.

I doubt moving out of the parish would fix anything, it isn't like rural people enjoy roaming aggressive dogs either. I'm all for owning any dog you want but you have to keep it from upsetting other people, otherwise you reap what you sow. In urban places AC takes your dog and in rural places without AC they shoot it.

I'm not particularly sympathetic to her cause, but I do hope the dog adjusts well and is useful to the prison.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Walks into Mordor

I've owned a wolfdog, and this program has a tons of holes. Yes, there are aggressive wolfdogs. But to my knowledge, wolfdogs are far more likely to become wary fear-biters, not truly aggressive. I can't see a dog like that being a good guard.

From the wording of the article, it looks like the dogs are kept caged in the day and given free roam between the fences at night. Honestly, if that's the route the prison wants to go, I'd go with a genuine animal deterrent. Heck, turn loose a pride of lions during the night and call it done. They'd probably be far more effective than any wolfdog, if only psychologically.

ETA: What about alligators? It's Louisiana, surely there are plenty of those around!