Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

I totally would've just asked if I could have him... How very, very sad.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Behavior Nerd

Same here PW - I lived in an apartment/town house without a yard for 7+ years with Maggie and then Maggie and Z and we certainly found ways to exercise the dog(s), so I know it's possible, but this scenario doesn't sound like that's what's happening.

The suggestion of ABMC rescue is a good one - they could at least give her some good info. Their website is malinoisrescue.org.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I totally would've just asked if I could have him... How very, very sad.
Yeah, because I need a Mal right now.

I did tell her that if the head harness didn't work to come back in and we would try other things, or to call if she had any questions. If she does come back I'll let her know that Mal rescue has a lot of good info on the breed *hint hint*

ETA: With my job I'm not allowed to just bring up Mal rescue as being a good idea for the dog. I could get in a lot of trouble for suggesting it if the customer was insulted at the suggestion.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Professional Nerd

Stan's breeder lives in the outskirts of the Twin Cities. I will email her and see if she has any ideas, or if she might even be willing to talk to her.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yesterday I had two calls regarding 3 Malinois pups from one litter. These dogs were sired by a dog, whom as far as i can tell has no titles beyond dock dogs, in CO and whelped by a bitch in Henderson who seemingly has nothing to her name. The male is owned by a SMS trainer and DD competitor and as far as I can tell that's what this dog does. These pups were sold as "great active family pets" and these families are 4 months in and losing their grip very quickly. They sound like normal mals to me but I'll never advocate a mal to the average pet home. They're "constantly moving, barking, starting fights, and biting faces." One was sold to an elder man with health issues and the man went against the better judgment of a mal owning friend and purchased the dog. Now I'm being asked to help it stay in the home or potentially take her myself.

The other two were sold to a family who for all purposes should have gotten a lab, they are moderately active and love dogs but these are "more aggressive than expected" and "always stealing things and arguing over them".

This breed is totally screwed and it makes me want to cry.

Eta to remove needless crap.

Today sucks.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Popularity's a b****

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
The other two were sold to a family who for all purposes should have gotten a lab, they are moderately active and love dogs but these are "more aggressive than expected" and "always stealing things and arguing over them".

This breed is totally screwed and it makes me want to cry.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Popularity's a b****
It really is. I was involved in a fb argument yesterday about advertising Mals on Kijiji. Pan's breeder and I were totally against it of course and were called "elitist" because of it, lol. I'm sorry but Malinois should not be advertised on Kijiji and any "breeder" who does obviously does not care about the breed. Buyers should be seeking out breeders, not the other way around.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

I hate to say it, because it sounds like I'm saying Mal's aren't beautiful dogs, which of course they are, but I am kind of glad they don't come in flashy colors. I think it might be the only thing saving them from things being A LOT worse for the breed

Either way,I hope the woman and dog find their sync.

Lots of people have large active dogs in apartments, IMO it's just about how much you are willing to work. Dogs in apartments if anything get MORE than most in case of structured exercise. there is no "let the dog out" option lol
but yea.. it does go badly for people who aren't willing to put the work in :/

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Fran I totally understand. I think one of Flat-Coat's saving graces is that they are large (but not remarkably large) dogs and 95% of them are a "boring" monotonous black...and the other 5% are "plain" brown. I actually think it makes them look really classy, but they don't often catch the eye of the passers-by, most of whom assume they are some weird Lab mix.

Unfortunately Mals seem to be getting a lot of press lately as the next great guard dog (the reason some people I know obtained their first Mal) and various other working functions.

Hopefully it works out better for them than it did for GSDs.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Bite Club

if all my dogs got was a walk once in a while all of us would have to be committed. I hope she gets the help she needs with that dog.

~Aura & Riley~