Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Puppy Dog

An older lab-say, 3-4 years old would fit.
I have 2 girls-neither would go with a stranger. Moka wouldn't go because she is too attached to me. She even hates leaving the house with Brian (BF) without me. She runs back and sits next to me.
Java does not like strangers and will not run up to greet them, much less leave with them. She alerts on strangers in our driveway, etc. She is actually a great watchdog, considering she's a lab. She alerted me to a black bear out our window the other day.

As for personality-female labs tend to be much less up your butt than males. Females are more independent, standoffish to a point and less cuddly.
Males labs can be very in your face, up your ass and obnoxious about attention.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Active Pup

Have you ever thought of a Hunting Type. I do English Pointer Rescue and your description fits most pointers. Take a look at www.pointerrescue.org

I have had pointers for more than 20 years. Love them and if they get enough excercise then they can be quite content to sit at your feet or in your lap as my boy Tyler does.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 PM
The Littlest Hound

Pfffft - don't get a walker, get a Plott

Seriously though, if I could just clone Liz & send you a copy I would.

I don't know where you guys are finding your walkers, but I'd love to meet them - the ones I've been well-acquainted with are Crazy. People. I will never have another of the 5 "related" coonhound breeds again! Lol

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

A smooth collie could be a good fit depending on the lines. Maybe even a BYB rescue/rehome or something. They don't have all the hair like a rough collie, but it's not super short like a hound. You want barking? You got barking! Great with other animals, great with other people. Logan would probably happily go with anyone, but not all collies are like that. He's fine ignoring people when he's working, but if he's allowed to say hi, he LOOOOOOOVES everyone. Logan was high energy when he was younger but has calmed down A LOT in the last 2 years. The BYB rough collies I dogsat were much lower energy. They could get ramped up, but it took a lot to get there and they calmed down quickly - not enough drive for me, but it's perfect for their owners - that being said, from what I hear smoothies are higher energy and more sharp-minded than roughs. Logan can be a lover and has gotten more cuddly the last few months, but he's fine on his own too. He'll follow around whoever's up and doing something, but he's content to nap alone as well. He usually sleeps with me until I fall asleep, then jumps down at some point at night, though sometimes he'll stay on the bed all night. He does have a limit for cudding (Gavroche, my boxer, has NO cuddling limits. He's really prefer to be touching someone at all times). Easy to train, very smart, and quite rugged.

And of course, you can probably find some random dog (mutt or purebred) in a shelter - bonus is that you get to meet the dog all grown up and see at least a glimpse of their real personality. Maybe even foster for a bit and see when the right dog falls into your lap.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Top Dog

A cat friendly greyhound or Lurcher would be good in my opinion, they seem to tick your boxes. Don't be put off by the need for them to run, they have short bursts of energy rather than needing hours or exercise, and if you can get them out for a walk one day, time in the garden works just as good.

Plus, there are thousands and thousands waiting for homes, through no fault of their own other than they are 'too old' (around 2-4 usually), you're bound to be able to find one that is a perfect match.

My Photos