Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Whim's first Excellent run at BSCA. It was a very nice run but not quite a Q (she missed a weave pole...I fell LOL).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Nice run! Good recovery after that fall, didn't even miss a beat.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Both Payton and Georgie now are going to get more regular training since my own training schedule is empty as of this Saturday haha. Tonight I did Salo set point exercises with both. I think we can safely say value is transferred to jumps for Payton. He has done some before but tonight I actually got out the visible target (blue Kong flyer) and it seems to have definitely clicked for him that this thing in front of him is aaaawwwsoooooome. I had other jumps set up for Auggie, who now only jumps 8" thankfully, so he went buzzing around the yard taking all the other jumps going LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!! *facepalm*

Georgie has to work on her stay LOL. As soon as she realized what I wanted from her, she couldn't sit still. We only got a few jumps before I stopped fighting with the stay and went inside. Need to beef up her stay more away from the jumps and then try to apply it again.

time to re-watch both Foundation Jumping and Success with One Jump, I think.
Can you explain more about transferring value to jumps? I was watching the SS DVD today and one of the things she mentioned was that if the dog is looking at you during agility that's not a good thing, he/she should be looking at the obstacles. Is this what you are talking about?

I am in the process of trying to improve Spy's jumping issues and am very interested in anything that could make the situation better!

ETA: Here is a video I made for my trainer so she could see Spy's jumping style in slow-mo to get a better idea of what's going on. Any input you guys have would be great, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItXIG...re=context-gau

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Can you explain more about transferring value to jumps? I was watching the SS DVD today and one of the things she mentioned was that if the dog is looking at you during agility that's not a good thing, he/she should be looking at the obstacles. Is this what you are talking about?

I am in the process of trying to improve Spy's jumping issues and am very interested in anything that could make the situation better!

ETA: Here is a video I made for my trainer so she could see Spy's jumping style in slow-mo to get a better idea of what's going on. Any input you guys have would be great, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItXIG...re=context-gau
Transferring value means that during training you'll reach a point where you'll have rewarded jumping enough that jumping itself becomes rewarding to the dog and the dog will want to take any jump in it's path because it loves jumping.

As for looking forward, you can practice this with one jump. Set your dog up in a stay in front of the jump, step off to the side and only release your dog over the jump when it looks forward at the jump.

I watched your video and it looks like your dog is taking off too early and doesn't understand how to jump collected. SS jump grids should help a lot with that. Have you started the set point exercise yet? Also, look into Silvia Trkman's cik/cap training, which teaches the dog first to wrap around things, then eventually to take a jump while wrapping it, nice and tight and collected. http://silvia.trkman.net/cikcap.htm
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Nice run! Good recovery after that fall, didn't even miss a beat.
Agreed! Good stuff!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Transferring value means you are transferring the value of whatever your reward is to what you are asking the dog to do. Like when you play crate games, you play it using really high value treats like chicken... the crate takes on the value of the chicken. Payton has seen jumps before and played with them some, but because we've never really done any structured playing with them (they'll be set up in the yard for Auggie and he might jump over one because it just happens to be in his way while he's tearing around) he doesn't really see it as ZOMG FUN. It just kinda is. It's just something in his way. Not terribly unlike if he were in the woods and a log was in his way or whatever... nothing particularly important.
But now that we're actually working with them, they've become a "thing" to interact with. And when he interacts with them, he gets to grab the tuggy ball and we play tug! So the great game of tug he gets out of jumping has made the jump itself fun... the value of the tug has been transferred to the jump.

When people talk about having the dog looking forward at the jump rather than you, it's not so much about the value the jump holds as the dog being task oriented rather than handler oriented. Yes, you want them to be tuned in to you and your body language so you can steer them around the course, but you also want them to be looking forward at what they are doing and at what is coming up next... rather than constantly turning to look at you going "What's next?? What's next??" Kinda just "take what's in front of you, unless I tell you differently!"

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Spy is fast! Haha that's all I can add. He always looks so serious and stately.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

I've been retraining Zuma's A-frame as she's gotten super creepy moving into that 2o2o position. This was mainly due to a lack of foundation training... Everyone take that to heart, DO NOT skimp on foundations because you pay for it later!!

I've been training a running contact to help her with her striding... I will train a stopped contact back in so that I can use it if I need it.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVt...e_gdata_player

Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
& the Muttly Crew

It looks like Zuma's picking up on the striding pretty well, just needs to learn to control herself and stay low over the apex as she's getting a worrying degree of loft.

She really is such a nice size lol. And a quick little thing.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
It looks like Zuma's picking up on the striding pretty well, just needs to learn to control herself and stay low over the apex as she's getting a worrying degree of loft.

She really is such a nice size lol. And a quick little thing.
Agreed! Some of them scared me. I'm adding some stride regulators in on the down side next, she's never jumped into the yellow before today.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM
and Spy.

Thanks Panzerotti and Beanie, I emailed that video to my trainer as well and she had some really good insight about what's going on, so we plan to do some SS stuff and set up the grids. Hopefully that will help!

Laur, I know . Me trying to keep up with him in agility is incredibly embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.