Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

The cord has never really gotten in the way, but I worry it might with Dance because she's really awful for nails sometimes and I have to hold her awkwardly, but otherwise the cord has never caused any issues. I just like to make sure there is extra so it really doesn't get in the way/pulled tight.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

I bought a normal corded one but it was SO loud. Like you should be wearing earplugs loud. Plus on even it's lowest speed I burned myself once or twice because my hand slipped. It was just too powerful.

Went out and got a cordless Dremel brand one, I loooove it. The high speed doesn't burn you if you slip and it's much quieter.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

I have the one Fran linked to, and I like it a lot. The low speed works great on my dad's puppy when she comes over (her nails are teeny) and the high speed works well on Elsie's monster-claws.

I only do 2 paws at a time, though, so I don't worry about the battery.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

I bought that dremel that most people dislike () for like $10 at petsmart. It's called a Peticure I think...

Anyhow, for 10 bucks, it works nicely. That being said, it has several safety features some of which I appreciate, others not so much. The "protector shield" I actually really like because it saves me from having to stick Boo's paws in panty hoes first to make sure her fur doesn't get in the way. The thing also has a mechanism that makes the machine shut off if too much pressure is applied. This is nice in that it saves me the worry of "what if Boo's long fur did somehow get caught in the machine!?" That being said, it often shuts itself off while I'm dremelling her nails just because I accidentally put too much pressure on the grinder which can get quite irritating.

It doesn't have a whole lot of power, but it's enough to take several mm off of Boo's nail without effort. That said, it's cordless and lightweight which is a plus.

For a dog any bigger than Boo (she's ~55 lbs) or even a medium sized dog that will let you do all 4 paws in one sitting, I'd steer clear. But if you have a small dog, a dog that you just want to take a teensy bit off of the nails each time, or a long haired dog, it works alright and saves you some worry. I've never regretted my $10 purchase, I can tell you that much.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
The "protector shield" I actually really like because it saves me from having to stick Boo's paws in panty hoes first to make sure her fur doesn't get in the way.
You are a genius! Thank you so much!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

I have THIS one. I love it. I can dremel four dogs feet in one sitting, one battery charge if I'm efficient (i.e. they aren't problem dogs). I have had it for 4 years or so and it just died, I bought a new battery and we're back to work!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Slave to the Aussie

I have this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Perfect.../dp/B0038YXIOK

I purchased it because the $40 one I had stopped working and I needed something right now.

I LOVE it much more than the others I have had.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

This one, from Walmart^^^
Wasn't too happy to find out they no longer make the older style after the battery died cold dead on my old one, so we wound up having to quick buy a new one, and this is the most similar model that was at Walmart (We wanted to be able to use our old attachments with it, which is why we went with another dremel over a "pet" one for their nails). The battery sucks! literally! It takes only 3 hours to recharge, but don't expect it to hold that charge for a week. Someday we need to buy a couple extras for it, before they trash this style to and reinvent it again.