Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Active Pup

Talking No matter what the age, always be positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg View Post
How do you house break a dog with out yelling and screaming. I love positive reinforcement training not negative training. What's the propper way to do this?
In my experience, being negative never gets you anywhere. Using treats and praise with any size or age of dog is always a good start. You need to make a schedule and stick to it. Your puppy or adult dog will have to go out after each meal, after waking and during play/ exercise. If they happen to have an accident, clean it up and take them outside. If you manage to catch them in the act, scoop them up and take them outside. Scolding/ yelling and hitting them just makes them scared of you and they don't understand why you are being mean.
Crate training your puppy can help a lot with accidents. If you can't be directly supervising, in the crate they go.
Having a "potty spot" is also a way to help with potty training. Designate a place in your yard that is where you want him to go. Place feces there so that it smells like him. When you take him out to do his business, take him to "his spot". Soon he will put two and two together and realize, "wow, I must have to go to the bathroom" Every time he gets it right, give him a treat, tell him he is a good boy or give him a pat on the head.
Another trick is when you know he has to go,take him out to his spot and don't play until he goes. Once he goes, praise him, give him treats and play all you want.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Active Pup

Training a dog is indeed a hard thing to do. I love the thought that you want to reinforce your pet in a positive way. The first thing you have to do is gather accessories that could hep you in training your pet like leashes or collars. I got some accessories of my pet on this site http://www.hotdogcollars.com/ . You must remember that be gentle to your pet, this is the general rule to capture your pet feeling.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Active Pup

If your dog is 3 years old, now neutered, yet is still having accidents I would agree that he is most likely marking.
If he marked prior to his neuter and seems to be going in the same areas there is probably some scent left there to draw him back.
I would try a little "CSI" detective work. From the party store or dollar store you can purchase a black light or black light bulb. At night, turn off the lights and go over the areas that he's been having accidents. The black light will show any spots that still need to be cleaned and treated.
Dogs have an amazing sense of smell. They can smell urine through water, PineSol, Resolve, etc. You need an enzyme solution to digest and get rid of the odors.
You may be surprised when you turn the lights off! Good luck!

Lisa
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw6569 View Post
I have read many articles regarding training your puppy .

Our puppy is currently 11 weeks old and the only really thing that bugs me is his continuously wanting to bite.
We have had his for 4 weeks now he loves his food , i mean what puppy don't.
I take him out every couple to 3 hours.
He can go for nearly 2 hours being on his own , as he will need to go for longer periods when i recover from a broken ankle.
But he always seems to get hyper and then that's when his biting starts at first i did not think it would last that long , but he really is a very dominating dog, of which we are trying to get him out of that.
My wife is the more experienced of the two of us even thought this will be my 4th dog.
But it really is stressing us out as he is a truly gorgeous looking dog, he enjoys his walks, even though he tries so hard when people are just walking by to be very sociable, but not every one is animal orientated.
But his biting is beginning to get out of hand
One great way to get a dog to stop biting you is to press his or her lip against their teeth when they are biting. This is not "mean" as they will quickly learn that biting hurts and they won't bite themselves or you. Sometimes they just don't understand that biting is hurtful. They are puppies (dog babies) and need to learn things just like human babies need to be taught.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHousebreaker View Post
One great way to get a dog to stop biting you is to press his or her lip against their teeth when they are biting. This is not "mean" as they will quickly learn that biting hurts and they won't bite themselves or you. Sometimes they just don't understand that biting is hurtful. They are puppies (dog babies) and need to learn things just like human babies need to be taught.
I don't think this is a great way at all. It is important to let your puppy mouth you to an extent so as to encourage bite inhibition, which basically means understanding the difference between a hard bite and a soft bite. When it gets too hard, make a high pitched yelping sound and leave the area. Basically, he will learn that biting means that all the fun stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Default House Training Your Puppy Can Be Challenging

After reading this thread, I was reminded that a fair number of new puppies do indeed have the tendency to bite. This can certainly be an annoying and difficult problem to overcome. What makes it even worse is that this usually happens at the same time they are being house broken. So, it is like 2 problems that you need to overcome at once.

I do have some tips for how to overcome the biting issue. First, it is not really so much biting as it is chewing. The little one will chew on just about anything they can find. Part of the problem may be that they are teething. The first thing I would suggest is to get the dog a couple chew approved toys. Put them where your dog spends most of their time.

The next tip is the hard one. You, as the owner and now dog trainer, need to be consistent on this. No need to shout or yell to communicate your wishes to the dog either. Just whenever they chew or bite something which they should not, a simple, firm “No” will do. They replace whatever they were chewing on with one of their good toys. If you are consistent with this, they will get the message and learn to stop fairly quickly. This method has worked for several of my dogs. I hope this will help.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Active Pup

Try to give your dog plenty of exercise outside before house training him. In this way, any excess energy he has has been used and he will not be as active and easily distracted when you are trying to train him.