Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 PM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
This x100000.

JW, is that food you posted Canine Caviar? If so, I LOVE what I've read about all their foods and their company... but why are pretty much all of the formulas so high in cals? They seem like a LOT at 599 kcals/cup. And let me tell you, Jackson LOVES to eat. I don't think I could give him less than 2/3 cup on a good day (he gets 1/2 cup on a lazy day of a 430 kcal/cup food). Would I have to feed significantly less? In the summer, when he's swimming a ton, he can even get as much as 3/4 cup per day.
He'd get a little over 1/3 cup on a lazy day

In the summer he'd get a little under 2/3 cup
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
He'd get a little over 1/3 cup on a lazy day

In the summer he'd get a little under 2/3 cup
Thanks!

I just feel like I'd be starving him on 1/3 cup! LOL. But maybe it's just me. He just loves to eat.

I'll probably pick up a bag of the Fromm Duck tomorrow, since I don't think our store sells the Gold line, but if they do - I'll check it out. I guess I don't wanna order online just in case I have to return it, plus I forgot I have a $5 off card for Fromm. So I'll give it another shot. He's only got a days worth of Acana lamb & apple left. If Fromm ends up not working again, we'll just go back to Acana. But like I just just REALLY love Fromm and WANT it work, haha, and it's also cheaper and at a closer store.
__________________
Brit & Jackson
~ It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas ~

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogKisses View Post
I did look at the protein level (23% minimum) on my bag too. Which imo, is low-ish. The TOTW I was feeding was a bit higher than that. But I don't want to mess with Diamond anymore.
That's kinda typical for grain-inclusive foods though, isn't it? Their grain-free formulas are at 30% (+ or - a percent). Which isn't HIGH, but that's kinda the number I like to stick around anyway.

But I get what you're saying, I like seeing named meat meal sources higher up in the ingredient list. I didn't really look at the ingredients in the beef frittata until after I got the bag, and was a bit disappointed to see the first 6 ingredients: fresh beef, peas, whole eggs, fresh russet potatoes, pea protein, pork meat meal.
I'd be much happier if that first ingredient would've been beef meal.

At the end of the day though I really am more concerned with a) how my dog does on the food and b) the quality of the ingredients.


I've contemplated trying Acana but really hate the price that goes with it!
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 PM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
This x100000.

JW, is that food you posted Canine Caviar? If so, I LOVE what I've read about all their foods and their company... but why are pretty much all of the formulas so high in cals? They seem like a LOT at 599 kcals/cup. And let me tell you, Jackson LOVES to eat. I don't think I could give him less than 2/3 cup on a good day (he gets 1/2 cup on a lazy day of a 430 kcal/cup food). Would I have to feed significantly less? In the summer, when he's swimming a ton, he can even get as much as 3/4 cup per day.
According to CC the high calorie content helps with digestibility.

I did not change Frodo's portion size at all going to Canine Caviar and he maintained just fine, no weight loss or gain. Honestly, I would give it a try if I were you. I adored this food before I fed it, now I just fluffing LOVE it. I completely plan on feeding this to future dogs. In my eyes it is the perfect food made by the perfect company.

You should grab a small bag, and see how he does. If he gains weight, just don't feed it again
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
According to CC the high calorie content helps with digestibility.

I did not change Frodo's portion size at all going to Canine Caviar and he maintained just fine, no weight loss or gain. Honestly, I would give it a try if I were you. I adored this food before I fed it, now I just fluffing LOVE it. I completely plan on feeding this to future dogs. In my eyes it is the perfect food made by the perfect company.

You should grab a small bag, and see how he does. If he gains weight, just don't feed it again
Hmmm... might just have to try it. I notice our store only usually has one or two flavors in stock though. I think I recall seeing the venison once. Didn't look at price.
__________________
Brit & Jackson
~ It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas ~

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,340
Default

Is there nowhere online that sells bags smaller than 12lbs? Can't seem to find any.

It definitely seems pricey! But I do love what I'm reading...
__________________
Brit & Jackson
~ It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas ~

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
DogKisses's Avatar
DogKisses DogKisses is offline
Durp Dog
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,704
Default

Yeah I figure if I pay $70-80 a bag (Acana) I might as well feed raw. But it looks like an amazing food. I have a sample bag around here somewhere that I need to try.

I am going to switch to raw in the next few months, looking for a 2nd job.
__________________
..~Lacey, Nikko & Nora~
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,686
Default

Jackson, the smallest size they come in is 3.3 or 4.4, can't remember. Not sure if the shipping would make it worth it lol
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
javadoo javadoo is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 65
Default

I rotate all 4 of the Fromm grain free formulas.
The kibble size is small for all 4 formulas, but it doesn't seem to bother my labs.
My girls do great on all 4 formulas.
Love the Surf & Turf the best,......smells SO good.
And Gamebird smells like potato chips!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoo View Post
I rotate all 4 of the Fromm grain free formulas.
The kibble size is small for all 4 formulas, but it doesn't seem to bother my labs.
My girls do great on all 4 formulas.
Love the Surf & Turf the best,......smells SO good.
And Gamebird smells like potato chips!
I don't know what kind of potato chips you eat, but the gamebird smells NASTY.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site