Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

For sure--I'm 5'9 and ~118-122, and I eat 2,000-2,600/day depending. He says he's just not hungry.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Top Dog

I have absolutely nothing useful to add to this thread. But I went and looked up what my daily caloric intake should be (5'5" and 140ish lbs) and came back with 1900. I eat about 1200/day, not restricting. Even on days when I eat til I feel like exploding I don't think I hit 1900. O_o I don't know how to feel about this. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
For sure--I'm 5'9 and ~118-122, and I eat 2,000-2,600/day depending. He says he's just not hungry.
Perfect example of how impossible it is to use tables and statistics for this! Metabolisms are so individual, i.e., I'm 5'10" and even when I was bodybuilding, working out for HOURS every day, if I ate that many calories a day on any sort of routine basis I'd have my own show on Lifetime

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I have absolutely nothing useful to add to this thread. But I went and looked up what my daily caloric intake should be (5'5" and 140ish lbs) and came back with 1900. I eat about 1200/day, not restricting. Even on days when I eat til I feel like exploding I don't think I hit 1900. O_o I don't know how to feel about this. Lol.
you should feel how you feel

Charts and estimates are pretty much worthless when trying to apply to an individual. that's the bottom line.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Are you dead yet?

PROTEIN!

Something I've found is that building muscle, and not so much watching calories at first (within reason, of course) leads to better weight loss down the road. Often times protein-dense foods have a moderate amount of calories so a lot of people avoid them, but I really think it's important to eat them -- especially if he's working out.

I'm 6' and fatter than I'd like to admit, but my limit is about 1400 calories a day WHEN I'm working out. If I'm being sedentary? Probably under 1000 a day.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

So, the past couple days he's started eating lots more protein, and a vegetable with every meal. He says he feels better.

He joined a couple body building forums and is lurking around, but he feels frustrated because we don't own a weight set, and aren't really in a position to buy one right now.

My mom was briefly into this home-gym thing where you make your own weights and stuff out of household items, but I can't find the website. It had some cool ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Perfect example of how impossible it is to use tables and statistics for this! Metabolisms are so individual, i.e., I'm 5'10" and even when I was bodybuilding, working out for HOURS every day, if I ate that many calories a day on any sort of routine basis I'd have my own show on Lifetime
My sister and I are both like this, and we're told our dad was too, until he was about 35.

I've started biking (go me!) and doing yoga (which isn't exactly high impact, but at least it gets me moving), and that's got me eating better--more protein, less potato chips.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Charts and estimates are pretty much worthless when trying to apply to an individual. that's the bottom line.
Yeah that's kind of what I got out of it.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

you don't need a weight set, you have a body, use it

go to www.monkeybargym.com and order their jungle gym. It's about 70 bucks or was last time I got one and get to work. It's all you need. The rest is just fluff. It doesn't cost anything to do a push up or a squat or lunge, or pistol.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
you don't need a weight set, you have a body, use it

go to www.monkeybargym.com and order their jungle gym. It's about 70 bucks or was last time I got one and get to work. It's all you need. The rest is just fluff. It doesn't cost anything to do a push up or a squat or lunge, or pistol.
That's what I told him. There's a park with monkey bars and all that good stuff (and a nice track!) two blocks from our house. I've been trying to get him to go there with me--I walk to the park every couple days anyway with Elsie, because the field has a grid painted on it (for soccer) and I use it for heeling practice, because I can't walk a straight line.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
So, the past couple days he's started eating lots more protein, and a vegetable with every meal. He says he feels better.

He joined a couple body building forums and is lurking around, but he feels frustrated because we don't own a weight set, and aren't really in a position to buy one right now.

My mom was briefly into this home-gym thing where you make your own weights and stuff out of household items, but I can't find the website. It had some cool ideas.

My sister and I are both like this, and we're told our dad was too, until he was about 35.

I've started biking (go me!) and doing yoga (which isn't exactly high impact, but at least it gets me moving), and that's got me eating better--more protein, less potato chips.
Hey! Tell him to be frustrated no more. I've got the perfect solution. I could borrow him for a couple of weeks. I've got a big landscaping project in the planning stages. There's lots of weights doing that. There's stone patio and wall work, digging up sod, hauling in dirt and mulch, lifting trees and scrubs out of their pots and planting them. Even the yard work I'm doing now is strengthening my muscles. Send him this-a-way!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson