Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Default All About Pyr Sheps

I'm interested in these dogs - mainly due to their trainability and size although I also think they are stinkin' cute! I know nothing about them, know none - anyone have info? Breeder reference? Pictures?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

I talked with Patricia from La Brise a bit several months ago because I was planning to add one as an agility prospect. There is that trains at our facility and 2 others in the state. Here's what I gathered about the breed, but there are more informed people on the board (aleron).

-Very, very devoted to their person.
-Very high energy
-Flighty, in need of a lot of socialization
-Not outgoing in terms of meeting other people (the one I've had as a student is the exception to this rule)
-Bouncy
-Loves to train
-Needs more relationship work than typical herding breeds, meaning your one on one time with them needs to include other things other than just training. A lot of the top competitors that have them in agility will take month long breaks from training and just do fun things like hikes with their dogs.
-Does not like a lot of repetition, drills will demotivate them.
-They never forget. One bad experience will take months of desensitization to overcome.

Over all they seem to be very fun small dogs. If I had more time to devote to socialization than I do now, I would've stayed on that puppy list. However, I already have one nutball dog and didn't want to risk adding another to our household.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

I've had 5!.
Amazing breed,fast,loyal stubborn and will excel,in anything you try!.
My females were ball crazy but not my males.They,all,loved water and running along the bike.
In Fr,they are nicknamed the 100 000 volts dogs cos they,just,never stop.
They are very agile and can pretty much climb,anything you want.
They are used in Fr,for,herding,schutzhund and ring work!.
Beware of certain lines that are very shy.I've met a couple from La Brise and they were very shy but this can be due to a lack of socialization and not the breeder.
They need major socialization and training or they become unbearable.
If no trained or exercised enough,they can be yappy and nippy.They can easily outrun a BC or a GSD and I've taken mine on 40 miles bike run,without them,breaking a sweat.
Mine were cropped and docked which I like it,better!.
Here are some pixs:
Daisy:

Daisy & Ego:

Daisy jumping the palissade:

Some breeders will undersize them so that the dog can become a height dog(flyball) and for me,this is a big NO,NO.
My last Pyrshep could jump a 6ft palissade and make it,look easy.

Last edited by golden&hovawart; 04-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the info! They sure are cute but thank goodness I asked about them because I really don't think they'd suit me!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm All Ears

Here's a good thread: http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146436
Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Excellent! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

I had a big reply typed out then..it disappeared!

My PyrShep Savvy just turned a year old and he's a lot of fun. And a lot of work. The biggest challenge with him is keeping him entertained and supervised. He is extremely high energy and needs to run, needs to have his brain engaged more than any other dog I have had (including Belgians, GSDs and a Cardi). He probably won't be trustworthy loose in the house for at least another year or longer. He can't be left loose in the yard unsupervised because he will jump the fence (and chase the running neighbor kids...). He is actually a really good dog and once he knows something, he tries very hard to do it even if it's difficult. But his energy level and athletic ability make him a lot more high maintenance than my other dogs. He is a nutball, although in a funny way not in a "needs to be kept locked at home and away from all strangers way". I did have a GSD like that. He's ok with strangers for the most part. He occasionally is distrustful about certain people or situations but he is still pretty immature and I could say the same about some of my other herding breed dogs as adolescents. More often than not he either doesn't pay attention to strangers or is over friendly. I have met every sort of PyrShep from ones that were super friendly to ones who were aloof to ones that were "no touch" dogs and everything in between. I have met probably more PyrSheps than a lot of people who own them have because of where I live and because I have been able to go to several of their National Specialties. How they are with strangers can vary from dog to dog but they aren't a breed to get if having a gregarious dog is important to you because that is not how the breed is supposed to be.

Savvy is definitely quite attached to me, however he's independent in a way too. On walks he is way more easily distracted by environmental things than my Belgians, GSDs or Cardi have been. When he is in drive though, he's pretty single minded. He can be easily frustrated and overstimulated in some situations. He is not a soft dog by any means, which may have been my biggest surprise about PyrSheps. They are tougher than you might have the impression of them being. I don't know how he'd hold up to continued use of harsh corrections because I don't use them. But he is not easily put off of something he wants to do and bad experiences do not seem to stick with him very long. He does hate the force dryer at work though and nail trimming makes him sad.

I always refer people interested in PyrSheps to Silvia Trkman's sites. From a training standpoint, I think she's probably the most well versed person in the breed because she not only has PyrSheps but many PyrShep owners go out of their way to attend her classes, seminars, etc.
Her PyrShep specific articles:

FearShep
http://silvia.trkman.net/fearshep.htm

PyrShep Vs BC
http://www.lolabuland.com/2010/06/25/bc-vs-ps/

Choosing An Agility Dog (actually quite a bit of PyrShep info too): http://silvia.trkman.net/steps.htm
[I]
Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Darn... making me covet pyr sheps again. I really do need to meet some.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Top Dog

BTW,now that I am back,in Fr,I am thinking of getting another one.I like the breeders,here, better as they stay truer to the standard.
Also there is a difference of character in bet the Face Rase and the rough coated one.The face rase are calmer,a bit taller,a lot less hair and considered easier,for the 1st time owner.
A good breeder will help you choose the right one but the general rule,is to go for the bolder one.The one that comes to you and bites yr shoes cos he will be less shy.
Also,a person that is hyper(in the negative sense) will not be a good fit with them.
Many people wanted one,after meeting Daisy cos she was a very secure,loving and intelligent dog.She was also a bit of a circus dog & confortable in any situation.She could do anything you wanted.For an idear of height,my females were 17in and my males 19in which is within the standard but on the tall side.
I preferthe look of the rough coated over the Face Rase.

Last edited by golden&hovawart; 04-28-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 AM
& the Muttly Crew

It's totally silly and aesthetic but I really wish they came smooth faced more often...probably 90% of the ones I've met have been rough and the few smooths are just so much more my style.

Do the U.S. breeders dock/crop their dogs?

Personality-wise I'd say 50% of the ones I've met are dogs I'd love to own (if they weren't rough! lol). Bright, funny, climbing the walls, very intense, athletic...just my kind of livewire. But about a quarter were just weird or semi nonfunctional...totally overwhelmed by their environment, excessively shy, etc. And they nearly all came from the same single breeder.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13