Opinions wanted - kinda publicity related

Freehold

So, I know some of you have been reading the blog I have on my Wolfhound's puppies, and it's been rather full of not-so-pleasant stuff since things went wrong... Anyway, I had a fellow breeder friend warn me off from writing any more "bad news" on there. Stick to the happy puppy pics, and avoid airing my dirty laundry basically. She is concerned that I will put off puppy buyers.

I don't want to write bad news. I want everything to go well - I want the puppies to be healthy and Renee to never get sick again. But I am telling people (in particular potential puppy buyers) the truth. I keep trying to have happy stuff to say. It's just not happening that way :(

So... what do you guys think. Would something like this put off puppy buyers? Is this the kind of thing a breeder should keep to him/herself, other than a few close friends?

I'm feeling uncertain about what to do. I won't take anything down that's there, but I can try to censor it more as I add posts. I pray there won't be more negative stuff to post anyway.

I just don't know how others see this kind of thing. If you were interested in one of my puppies (before it all went wrong), would this blog turn you off? Would the situation make you want to look elsewhere? Be brutally honest please.

If you've not seen the blog it is at http://wolfhoundpuppies.blogspot.ca/

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
No, honesty and breeders willing to talk about the problems they've had is something I look for. It makes me think very highly of said breeders.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I don't see anything wrong with it. Stuff happens when raising puppies and dogs. People who float things as all disney and wonderful are more concerned about selling puppies to yuppies than the realities of raising them for people with a foundation in reality.

Dogs get sick sometimes, and puppies die. That's life.

BTW How're you doing? Bloat is enough to keep someone busy. I can only imagine what a litter and bloat would do to someone.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I like the openness and honesty of your blog. Speaking for myself I like discussing both the cute puppy raising stories and the heartache with any breeder I am getting a puppy from.

Watson's breeder was very candid when we talked about everything.

There is a Cardigan breeder whose blog I follow and she does not sugarcoat the hard or sad posts either. I would so totally love one of her puppies :)

I think people need to be more aware that breeding is not all just cute, fluffy puppies...or that dog ownership is not all rainbows and butterflies on some days.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Honestly, I'd rather know everything than just the happy stuff. I appreciate people being open and honest about what can and does go wrong breeding dogs.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Personally? The posts don't turn me off at all. If I was interested in the breed, I would love a breeder to have a blog that was that thorough with puppy on goings.

The only thing that really turns me off blog wise is drama. Drama about other breeders, rumors, snarkiness about registries, families, dog owners, or other breeders.. Complaining about stress or family troubles..ugh THAT I HATE. Nobody wants to see THAT kind of dirty laundry on a breeder website/blog IMO

but the dirty truth behind puppies? the good and the bad? Personally I love that kind of thing. The more info I can get the better..

All litters have ups and downs.. and sometimes pups and dams get sick. I'd rather see a breeder who gave her ALL and shared information openly, then one who had a litter, things went wrong and kind of slipped everything under the rug with a paragraph or a line like "this litter didn't make it", "there were complications" .. THAT MAKES ME NUTS. because as a buyer, I want to know what happened and what was done and what has CHANGED and has been done to fix the problem in the future.
Not to mention the lack of emotional connection or remorse or even spirit of change you get from "there were complications and the dam of this litter had x,y,z and the puppies had x, y,z" .. I want to feel like your HEART went into this litter and you loved that dog and that you will do everything in your power to not have to go through it again.

But that is just my 2 cents. I tend to prefer more emotional breeders than most.. I expect to have some kind of connection there and frankly, if the breeder isn't comfortable talking about everything going on with those puppies..
I might not be comfortable calling with problems with my puppy because I would feel like everything was rainbow and sparkles until he/she got here.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I think the honesty is great. Stuff happens, that's life. I'd rather have a breeder that is open and honest; I don't want one that hides the truth and wants everyone to believe things are always perfect.

lizzybeth727

I liked all the detail, too, and if I was on your waiting list for a puppy out of this litter, I'd appreciate hearing all the details of my puppy's very early life. I bet the owners will be proudly bragging about how their dog was born a week early, had to be bottle/tube fed because the mom also suffered from bloat, almost didn't make it, etc. *drama drama* but still had a breeder who lovingly nursed the puppy and the puppy lived happily ever after. I think it's pretty cool.

And yes, it does show that stuff can go wrong with breedings and they're very risky and dangerous.

Saeleofu

No, honesty and breeders willing to talk about the problems they've had is something I look for. It makes me think very highly of said breeders.

This, exactly. I'd rather know EVERYTHING that's going on, and that the breeder has the honesty to say when things go bad would make me MORE willing to get a puppy. Bad things happen and sometimes there's nothing you can do to prevent it. I think you've handled the situation EXTREMELY well considering all that has happened.

Perfection is suspicious. I agree with others that I would find the honesty appealing rather than off-putting if I were looking for a breeder.

Xandra

I hate to say it, but honestly I would be somewhat wary of buying a puppy where there complications, bottle feeding etc. Not to say I wouldn't go through with buying the pup if I were on the wait list necessarily, but I would be worried that the rough start in life might predispose it to other problems later on. And I would definitely want a pup that thrived from the beginning.

Despite that I think the right thing to do is to disclose... you'll find other puppy buyers and I think everyone appreciates disclosure whether it's what they want to hear or not.

Just IME with life disclosure = security... you never have to worry about someone finding out a "dirty secret," a reputation of full disclosure is good for quashing rumors etc.

And I think lizzybeth is right on when she says people (pet people anyways) will appreciate the drama of it. People tend to really like hard luck cases, it's an interesting story... and even people like me, if they've been on the wait list and are all hyped up are unlikely to bail :p And even if I felt too uncomfortable buying a pup from this litter, I would have nothing but good things to say about your integrity. Like Laur said, when breeders are honest you just can't help but really respect them.

Once the situation itself is out there, I think the blog is interesting and will probably make people more drawn to and attached to the pups.

Maxy24

I think all the detail would make me feel even closer to the breeder and the puppies. Just like when we all watched a member on here's puppies grow up via puppy cam. What would make me suspicious is seeing a picture of mommy and her brood and then 6 weeks later see pictures of the pups and have some no longer exist without explanation.

Freehold

Thank-you. I have always leaned towards openness and honesty, and sometimes it bites me in the bottom. My friend just wants to make sure that I don't get myself into trouble, but she and I do think differently in many ways. I really hope I don't turn away buyers (honestly puppy sales are the only thing that's going to let me pay my vet... he's making a ton off me at the moment - good thing I like him lol), but I certainly don't want people coming back to me later about stuff either. I don't want to be whiny or such, just up-front about things.

Why must every litter have something that goes wrong? Just one completely straight-forward and simple litter would be nice... lol

SaraB

Honestly, seeing all the work and heartache that is going into this litter would make me want to pick you as a breeder that much more. I know you just arn't doing it to make money, but devote your life to ensuring these puppies live a long, healthy life.

Dekka

Just try me..
Transperancy is best IMO. I agree that if everything is out in the open there is no chance that someone will come back at you later. Sure you might lose a puppy buyer now, but your openness and obvious dedication to the dogs will gain you far more in the future.

Last edited:
I'm kind of thinking the puppy buyers you may loose by being honest and upfront are probably puppy buyers you dont really want in the first place

Paige

Let it be
I'm kind of thinking the puppy buyers you may loose by being honest and upfront are probably puppy buyers you dont really want in the first place
I agree. I don't think it's a bad thing to be upfront and honest with people.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I have to agree with this. And I'd like to add that if you try to change who you are, and write in different tone--it would likely come across as insincere. You are who you are--don't change that. :eek:

Members online