Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Outdoor Trial Gear

Summer trials are coming up. In the past I've just had an EZ-up, but the thing is such a pain I'm looking at getting a cheap screenhouse of some sort.

Just wondering what others do at trials as far as setup. I'm getting cool coats for the girls and was thinking of getting this shade cloth as well. If I don't go with a screenhouse, I will probably just kip next to the car and use some type off tent poles with the cloth + tarps to make some shade, and the dogs underneath in their crates/xpen with the coats on.

I think if I keep my trunk open (96 Jeep) it won't drain the battery (not sure if I want to test this or not) and may just keep them in the back with the cloth draped over or something, blah, not sure.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Just try me..

I have that type of cloth.. I went to the warehouse and bought a HUGGGEE one. I have a hatchback car. I will take a couple of tent poles with ropes/stakes and attach it to my car at that back and make a canopy with it.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

Lots of people who I train with have big battery operated fans to stick in front of the crate. Ryobi is the favored brand, i believe.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

I got a screen house from Costco last year for $70 or so. I love it - so easy up and down (has the folding/locking legs, so you don't have to thread poles). And it is far lighter than an Easy-Up. I can get the whole thing up and staked myself in under 5 minutes, and I am not a camper or anyone with any tent skills. I throw those shade cloths on the side getting sun (apparently you can get the fabric much cheaper from gardening supply shops), or put tarps on the sides in the rain - not fully waterproof, but pretty good.

I also have the Ryobi battery operated fan mentioned - great device, far more air movement than most battery fans. Two batteries gets me through a whole weekend, assuming I don't leave it running when I have Meg out/first thing in the morning. I like Meg's Cool Coat, although I don't use it in her crate. I use it when I have her out and about if it is hot and sunny - her dark coat really heats up fast without it.

Other random things. I always buy a couple of shower curtain liners at the dollar store. Waterproof, lighter than tarps, and great to put under crates if the grass is wet, under your chair so you don't get your feet wet changing your shoes, etc. And they are so cheap that if they get gross or a dog marks on them or something, I toss them without a second thought. An extra chair, so people can chill in your tent with you and gossip or watch runs. My brother got me a folding camp table for Christmas that I never thought I needed but love having for drinks, books, maps, etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Just try me..

I have a folding camp table too.. VERY handy!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Do you know of the brand of the pop up? I really want something I can put up myself, I love the EZ up, but not the fact I can't put the thing up even with people helping!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Mine is a Coleman. Different color trim than this one, but otherwise looks to be pretty much identical. I know I paid well under $100 for mine.

http://www.basspro.com/Coleman-10-x-...f-00005ae536f8

Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Oh nice! I actually was looking at the one earlier on Amazon. Thanks BB!