Old 04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

Snopes says the microwave study is crap

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
one thing we never use anymore is plastic in a microwave. I don't give a **** what the container says it's safe for. Glass only in there.

I've often seen as proof the microwave is "bad" is the water plant trick.

I don't trust other people and have thought of doing it myself just to satisfy my own curiosity, but what they claim to have done is take tap water and heat in a microwave, heat on a stove and directly from the tap.

let it cool to room temp and then water plants. Usually beans because they grow fast and are easy to grow.

They always show the microwave watered plants look pretty sickly compared to the other plants.

But of course if they aren't letting the water cool enough or other things, that would all impact that. Anybody ever done it?

Anybody in high school that has to do a project for school and want to do it for me i'm lazy
I've not done it, but I won't drink tea or coffee made with water heated in the microwave. It tastes funky.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I will stop using my microwave when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!

I luv my microwave, I dont "use" it to cook, but I do use it very often for reheating, it just makes more sense than heating up my whole apartment with the stove for one tiny plate of leftovers..
Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I've not done it, but I won't drink tea or coffee made with water heated in the microwave. It tastes funky.
And I do believe we've had a tea kettle discussion due to that fact! LOL

I <3 my old whistling tea kettle
Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
I will stop using my microwave when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!

I luv my microwave, I dont "use" it to cook, but I do use it very often for reheating, it just makes more sense than heating up my whole apartment with the stove for one tiny plate of leftovers..
Yep...it sure makes doing the dishes easy. I always wash my pots and pans by hand, not in the dishwasher, so it does save on that when re-heating. I know some things aren't so good re-heated, but some work out just fine for me.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Yep...it sure makes doing the dishes easy. I always wash my pots and pans by hand, not in the dishwasher, so it does save on that when re-heating. I know some things aren't so good re-heated, but some work out just fine for me.
The only "dishwasher" I have is lefty and righty lol, yeah I agree some things are better reheated while other things are better left cold..

personally, a lot of italian dishes IMO tastes better eaten the next day after they are cooked and cold
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
That's why you need cast iron. Just wipe out the debris, and tada! All clean.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
That's why you need cast iron. Just wipe out the debris, and tada! All clean.
I have to wash mine really well with hot water. I don't use soap but I can't just let all that grease from meat and stuff sit there. I don't want that transferred to my other food. I actually hate washing the cast iron skillet the most cause it's heavy and cumbersome and I can just stick my other pots in the dishwasher.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Cast iron pans run the risk of flaring up my tendonitis in my wrists, so I don't use them. I know...you're not suppose to really wash them, but I would anyhow. I just couldn't put them away in my cupboard without using hot, soapy water. I use to use them a long time ago. I'd just rub in a little clean cooking oil in them with a paper towel to keep them nice. But I just use stainless steel ones now. They're nice enough and not so heavy.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Ours committed suicide a few months ago, and before we had it, we didn't own one for a year, so I'm fine without a microwave.

My Polyvore