Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Kristen1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I would so use cast iron skillets if I could lift them. LOL. That's an interesting way to get a little extra iron.
Mom does this too
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

I don't use a microwave for much anyway. Once and a while for heating some water or milk for hot chocolate in the winter is about it. I dont' like stuff reheated in the microwave all that much, but do use it on occassion.

I think food is it's best in it's most natural form. I subscribe that as much as we know or think we know, nature is usually not wrong. She has a much broader vision than humans seem to.

I've taken my share of nutrition courses over the years, just got back from a weekend of it again. 24 credit hours in one 3day weekend, fun for all let me tell you, but no need to bore you all as much as it bored me

Some things are made more digestable, some things not, some things we think are healthy, others aren't, then we find out 20 years later the "not" provides a very important function somewhere in some chain of events that will keep us healthy or what we thought was a healthy nutrient is or isn't for totally different reasons than we previously thought.

One thing I've learned over the years is nutrition doesn't have to be that complicated. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Eat a variety
Eat real food (how nature intended) and that's about it.

if you cook your veggies most of the time, probably not a huge deal. If you cook some and eat some raw, i think it's probably better.

if you're heating a can of dinty moore beef stew made with crap meat, and GMO veggies in a microwave every day for dinner and think you're eating healthy, I'd have a few issues with that.

Variety and real foods that's about it.

GMO is not how nature intended it, beef stuffed fat with corn is not how nature intended it, chickens on steriods is not how nature intended it, grain pulverized to dust, stripped of all nutrients only have some added back and formed into cereal isn't a "health" food no matter how much advertising they do.

Sure it might be better than starving, but variety and real foods beat it every time. At least in my opinion. You're not going to go wrong eating that way. Still waiting for the study that comes out and says eating a variety of real foods is unhealthy.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Well, I wonder what the Vita mix machine does to the vegetables, with those blades traveling at 250 mph. lol. I just made my breakfast and it consisted of a hunk of zucchini, a hunk of egg plant, 1/2 carrot, chunk of beet, a kiwi , about 7 frozen strawberries, crushed flax seed and chocolate almond milk. So, the vegetables are raw, but they're completely pulverized...liquid. All healthy stuff except for the sugar in the almond milk. But hey...it tastes like a milk shake. Oh, I forgot to add some spinach and the protein powder. Oh well...next time.
I was kind of wondering this as well. People pulverize veggies like that for their dogs.

Anyway, when I was pregnant I drank raw green shakes every day. Spinach, kale, collards, swiss chard, goat milk protein powder, all pureed into a goo like you're talking about. The first time I ever felt Samuel kick was after drinking one. Oh my gosh he'd go crazy. There must have been something good in there that he liked.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Felurian

SO on board with this, RTH!

Quote:
Eat real food (how nature intended) and that's about it.
But that's when I was a crazy, stupid, natural bodybuilder "ruining" my health NOW the medical community is acting like they've discovered all those things they castigated us for years ago.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Twin 2

I'm exactly the oposite from you Fran, I only eat vegetables if they aren't cooked except for a couple exceptions. For the most part, hate them cooked. Whenever we have corn on the cob one has to be left for me uncooked. Making stuff for tortilla's? Leave all the peppers and onions raw so I'll use them.

The reals subject though, I don't use the microwave for a ton since I typically don't like the taste/texture it gives things. But when it died for a week I kinda felt lost, didn't realize how much I use it for everyday little things like heating something up for the dogs, warming up the syrup, melting butter etc.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Felurian

The one thing I really use a microwave for is bacon. Face it, it's hard to make bacon any more unhealthy than it already is

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Just try me..

Nooo bacon in the oven.. easy and sooo tasty.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Twin 2

Bacon is gross no matter how you cook it.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM
*Now with Snark*

Mmmm bacon. In all reality I think RTH has is just about right. As far as the microwave - I'm not really all that worried about it - I'm far more concerned about what qualifies as food suitable for human consumption and the toxic contamination of food sources by hormone and heavy metal tainted water.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Bacon is gross no matter how you cook it.
Blasphemy!!!