Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Top Dog

Default Way to prevent digestive sensitivities?

This is probably a really silly question, but I was curious as to whether or not there is a way to prevent stomach/digestive sensitivities in dogs? It seems like pretty well everyone but me can feed their dogs whatever without them getting sick, but if mine have a small morsel of anything, we have vomiting or diarrhea for a day or two. I think a lot of it is just them, but I also wonder if it's because I didn't give them anything really out of the ordinary as puppies? Just training treats and their kibble. The Dobermans are worse than Dance, but even she sometimes has issues. The Dobes had major issues even as puppies with kibble though, so I was afraid to give them anything else. It took forever to find something that they could eat and do well on.

Do you think some dogs really are just ultra sensitive to different foods? Or is it something you can try to deter by giving them all sorts of different things when they're young? I've never really thought about it before and was wondering what others' thoughts were on the matter. It'd be nice to have a dog one day that I don't have to worry about many tummy upsets with, and if there is something I can do to make that happen, that'd be even better.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Behavior Nerd

For my dogs and fosters, I've always given a huge variety of treats and rotated kibbles/other foods regularly and have noticed improved tolerance for new items.

When I was feeding kibble we changed variety, and often brand as well, every single bag, so every 4-6 weeks. Initially I would do slow intros of new foods with new dogs, but fairly quickly I was able to do cold turkey switches. Occasionally we'd run into a specific food that would upset one dogs' system, but it was and still is rare.

Snipe can't have cheese and Aeri used to only tolerate chicken for treats but now can have anything for ex.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Do you think some dogs really are just ultra sensitive to different foods?
Yes, I do. We tried feeding Lucy EVERYTHING, and I am so grateful that we were able to find one single thing that she does alright on. Salmon is the only protein that does not make her ultra sick, and no amount of trying other foods has changed that.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

For some dogs, I think it's just the way they are.

For the majority of dogs, I think a large variety of rotation can make a big difference.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't know. Juno is my sensitive one and she's been through a slew of kibbles, gets a lot of variety in her treats. And then there's Lucy who was on the same kibble for the first few years of her life, doesn't get much in the way of treats, but she has a gut of steel and can be easily given things without worrying about digestive upset. I think its justthe way they are. I know boxers in general are sensitive so I'm not surprised.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I was actually thinking about this the other day, as we've been switching foods just about every bag, and Stryder, who always had an explosive bum to everything, has been fine for quite awhile (I'd say the last couple of years). Though he was often sick with something or other, and was not the healthiest puppy.