Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

We don't have a microwave. I like it that way.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Microwaving doesn't typically deplete nutrients in most foods more so than the stove. Many nutrients are broken down by cooking in general but typically the faster heating times of the microwave preserves much more nutrients than the stove. It all depends on which foods. Some foods are actually recommended for microwave cooking over any other method to preserve nutrients. There are actually charts that will list the best cooking methods for preserving nutrients in different types of food.

As a rule I NEVER microwave anything in plastic or Styrofoam. I have switched all Chloe's dishes to Corelle when I realized how bad melamine was, which is what all those hard, kid dishes are made of.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
I think that the pure, unadulterated joy of watching Peeps puff up to astronomical proportion before exploding into pastel-palleted clouds of sugary napalm balances out the inherent fear of jiggling my biophotons.
Post of the Week

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I don't trust studies that are funded by lobbists to show what they want to show. This is well known to be an issue. Also it is very common for articles to reference papers and get the take home message completely wrong I have often looked up these sorts of references and found that the paper in question actually refutes the article!

So while it would be interesting to go through the actual studies, based on these articles I really wouldn't be changing anything. These articles have enough obviously misleading information it makes me distrustful of the rest. Which is sad if they have validity.
I was being sarcastic.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
The study was not without its shortcomings. It involved only eight participants, of which Hertel was one. As compelling as his findings were, his methodology did not stand up to the scientific rigors of the field.

In spite of Hertel's methodological shortcomings, his findings do raise concerns about what this form of radiation is doing to your food and should be taken as a launching point to larger, more robust studies in the future.
So we know he was spouting garbage, but he was scared of the same thing, so we should still listen to him!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Well, I've looked around a bit more online and can't find any real evidence one way or the other. Heating vegetables takes away some of their nutrients no matter what the heat source, it seems. The less heat the better and no scorching. But if you eat them raw, some of it may go undigested anyhow, right? So then, you may not get all those nutrients either. The more chewing, the better I suppose.

So, I guess I'll continue doing what I have been doing. I often cook up some vegetables, either carefully sauteing them or steaming them. If there are left overs for another meal, I'll stick them on a plate and microwave them just enough to heat them up a little bit. I've even put them on the grill, wrapped up in foil. That's probably not so good...very hot. But on the other hand, they may be shielded by the foil and I put them on the top rack which is not so close to the heat. But then there's the aluminum to worry about. Maybe that's not too safe either. Ya just can't win. Oh and then let's not forget about the soil in which they grew. Maybe that doesn't have enough nutrients in it and then it doesn't matter what you do.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
We don't have one. The only time I miss having one is when I have leftovers, the microwave is the easiest way to reheat them.
No....microwave? *headtilt* But how do you eat Hot Pockets?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Resident fainting goat

Eh as it is, I don't keep any processed or ready made food around, but I do have a lot of left overs I use the microwave for so no, I probably wouldn't stop using it..

lol If I was interested in preserving nutrients, I wouldn't be cooking the stuff up in the first place.
Everything I cook (aka: vegetables) I cook because I make the DECISION that I value taste over nutrition. Harsh but true fact lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quit using the dryer for the most part when I found out that it saved me practically a dog food's bag worth of electricity. Just isn't that hard to hang stuff up. I only throw it in for a quick cool tumble to soften the stiffness. Smells wonderful too. I have lived without a microwave, and I didn't like it. I use it a lot, my Mom used it a lot for the babysitting kids stuff and they all grew up to be just fine and to have children that are growing up fine too so I am not worried about micro "waves" in my food.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Just try me..

Then there is the point how much nutrients does it loose. Ie just eat an extra broccoli floret and come out ahead

I would like to see studies on digestible nutrients lost as that is the significant issue. Not how many are on the plate, but how many we can use.

I have to say nutrition studies typically are some of the worst I have seen, for bias and for poor methodology.