Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
It is completely different. I co-own Logan with his breeder. I trust her completely, and I know she would never come take him away from me just because. I would not trust some random person on Craigslist like that, no way! Actually I think too many people view a co-ownership like this (and give co-ownership a bad name) when it's really not like that at all. Logan's breeder hasn't even seen Logan in almost 2 years (sadly...I wanted to go visit this spring but I can't afford it now ). She's not going to randomly pop in one weekend and haul him off - for an hour or forever.
Maybe your co ownership is like that but I know of lots... and I do mean LOTS which are. I have a good friend who currently has to drive a dog her dog 4 hrs one way at least once a month so her breeder can show her in a bred by class- no she can't show her dog herself - it must be done by the breeder so they can get that stupid bred by medal. In a year or so the breeder will breed a litter to a stud of not my friend's choice and that she will not be able to retain a single pup from. Her situation isn't really unique.

Co ownerships fall into two categories from my experience with them: Great and the best of all worlds or pretty unreasonable, exploited, and crappy. Personally I think they're a legal nightmare and probably should be phased out of the registry system but then again, I would never agree to one in the first place.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 AM
BusterLove

I wouldn't do it.
But thats not to say it wouldn't work for other people. Someone that is busy themselves or often leaving town for work might appreciate someone that the dog knows that they can stay with often. And I think for the right dog it would only add to their quality of life having multiple people/families that they know provide for them.

I can see where it could get messy. The dog having 2 different sets of house rules and expectations for one could lead to a lot of confusion, and for another I can see a legal mess if one of the parties decides they want to have more control.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
Maybe your co ownership is like that but I know of lots... and I do mean LOTS which are. I have a good friend who currently has to drive a dog her dog 4 hrs one way at least once a month so her breeder can show her in a bred by class- no she can't show her dog herself - it must be done by the breeder so they can get that stupid bred by medal. In a year or so the breeder will breed a litter to a stud of not my friend's choice and that she will not be able to retain a single pup from. Her situation isn't really unique.
I always have to ask, when people bitch about how unfair their co-ownerships are... Why did she sign the contract?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
I always have to ask, when people bitch about how unfair their co-ownerships are... Why did she sign the contract?
Again, not my contract to sign and really I don't even know if she's unhappy with it as it is her obligation to follow the agreement. I know I wouldn't agree to foot the bill for someone else's gain just as I won't take all the risk/cost for someone else's credit. I don't really know why she signed the contract or why ANYONE agrees to sign a co ownership agreement which reads more like a 50% lease on a bull or racehorse other than the heart wants something and is willing to do all kinds of stupid stuff in pursuit of it.

I've known far more people bitten by co ownerships than those who are happy with them. Maybe it's because those who are happy never really mention they co own anything and those who are unhappy harp about it like a divorce dispute.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Big Dog

I co-own one of Renee's puppies from the first litter. The buyer was considering wanting to breed, and certainly wanted to show. I didn't feel comfortable selling with breeding rights, but figured co-owned she'd need to discuss things with me if/when she wanted to breed. She did complete his Championship, so I'm pleased with that. I was willing to help out, but she had a friend help her, which worked just as well. After she got the Championship she asked what it would take to pass full ownership - my response was a non-breeding agreement. It's not the showing that's the problem, it's the responsibilities of being a stud owner and the risks of breeding. I don't want him bred to just anyone and everyone...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Lab Love

I can totally understand where that person is coming from, since I share Boomer with his owner, and it's fantastic. If I ever want to take Boomer out into the mountains, downtown for a afternoon, or just have a bored annoying Duke at home I can have him whenever I want. I always ask in advance and never try to be annoying, but I know he would never mind. On the other hand, he has my dog all the time too. Duke is with him all day while I'm at work and he'll pick him up on the weekends if I'm busy.

Being a 'part time owner' of a second dog alleviates my need for another. I desperately want a puppy but when I already have two dogs there's no need. And it makes having Duke ten times easier!

However, if I was adopting a dog from a stranger, absolutely not. Who knows when the day comes where they just decide they want the dog back? Also the care issue, you don't know what they're doing with the dog. I always know Duke is in great hands, in fact he reinforces manners more than I do! You're rehoming the dog. Wanting pictures and maybe to visit once a while... like meeting me in a dog park during a walk or something.. that's okay to request. But to take the dog regularly and even for a whole weekend.. nope!

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
I do have some sympathy. I have rehomed and it's terribly sad and difficult and I can understand some of the feelings behind such a post.

Honestly, though, the trips to the cabin thing bugs me, lol. It's like this person wants the fun stuff, but not the walks in the rain, the vet visits, poop patrol, etc.

And, in any event, it wouldn't work for me. I am very, very choosy about who I trust (away from me) with my dogs.
This! I can see a shared ownership working, but only wanting the dog for the fun stuff? No way.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehold View Post
I co-own one of Renee's puppies from the first litter. The buyer was considering wanting to breed, and certainly wanted to show. I didn't feel comfortable selling with breeding rights, but figured co-owned she'd need to discuss things with me if/when she wanted to breed. She did complete his Championship, so I'm pleased with that. I was willing to help out, but she had a friend help her, which worked just as well. After she got the Championship she asked what it would take to pass full ownership - my response was a non-breeding agreement. It's not the showing that's the problem, it's the responsibilities of being a stud owner and the risks of breeding. I don't want him bred to just anyone and everyone...
Maybe CKC is different, but if this were an agreement with AKC reg'd dogs, you'd be out of luck, as it only takes 1 owner's signature for the stud to let the papers go through. Something I never really understood... one signature for dogs, all the signatures for bitches? Weird.

Anyway, I would never agree to the proposed agreement in the ad. I get they want to see the dog, but you don't get to have someone else do all the work while you show up just in time for fun.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
love herds

I got my collie through a re-home situation and I would not have been comfortable with the previous owners visiting him or taking him for walks etc. I want full control over my dogs, how they are trained and socialized etc. I would send them pictures or updates (I send Radars foster mom updates) I would also worry about them changing their mind and wanting to have the dog back when their situation changes or improves.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)