Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Welp, Frodo and I went to work on some foundation skillz, and because I have no trainer to tell me what I'm doing wrong, I figure I had better take videos!

We worked on circle work. Not sure how big the circles are really supposed to be, but I think these were unessesarily large, lol. And I lost him to some smells, and a dropped treat.
http://youtu.be/3ZSEC5Zrf8U

I've been watching a bunch/reading a bunch from AgilityNerd, and this is how he recommends teaching front crosses on the flat. So we did some of that, and tighter circle work. I also threw from my opposite hand once when we were doing circles, and I think that would be incorrect because they should be focusing on the side/hand that they are on.
http://youtu.be/IcV44SzUK14

And because I'm so AWESOME (read: broke) and didn't want to buy expensive stuff at HomeDepot (read: measuring tape, drill) I made my own agility obstacle!
Introducing...HoopThang!

I'm treating it kinda like a NADAC Hooper, basically, go through it. If it doesn't work, meh.

http://youtu.be/15d8G_kM70M
At the beginning of the video I pulled out his tug, and while I was pleased that he did show some interest in it, it definitely wasn't OMG tug enough for me to keep it out. I need to go buy meatballs to stuff in it again, yuck.
Things I need to work on: I use the word "go" which I think most people in agility use for "take that obstacle up ahead" and not for when you're running alongside the dog, right? Wrong? Pancakes?
I didn't think of words in advance, and I can't STFU when I'm working with Frodo, so I need to figure out a word for it, if I want to use a word.
I need to improve my throwing skillz (though, Frodo's catch was freaking awesome, lol) and when I reinforce.
I tried to do a variety of things (work from both sides and do a lead out on it once), and I didn't think it was that bad concidering this was only his second time seeing HoopThang.

http://youtu.be/R3rBLp2v5A4
Then my rational brain said "He's having fun, end now! You did everything you planned!" and my I DO WHAT I WANT part of my brain said "MOAR THINGS NO PLANS!" and I just...did stuff.
I used the word "through" instead of "go" for optimal confusion, but I think he probably just tunes me out, it didn't seem to affect him. But yeah, I should probably stick more with plans.

Overall I didn't think it was bad for a lazy, 6 year old chubby monkey with a clueless handler.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

I love how you are moving further and further away from hoop thang to have him more deliberatly chose to go through it, that's awesome! Also try sending him through it at different angles not just straight on. So if you were at 6 oclock in the video and you reward him at 12 oclock, can you sent him from 7, 8 and 9 oclock? How about 5, 4 and 3 oclock? That'll get some wraps going. Also when he's further along in his front crosses and rear crosses, do those with the hoop thang as well.

ETA: Nevermind! I missed the 2nd hoop video.. looks good!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

So when I am sending him from different angles should I be standing stationary, having him go through it and then back to me, or should I still be moving toward the jump, just at different angles?

Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
So when I am sending him from different angles should I be standing stationary, having him go through it and then back to me, or should I still be moving toward the jump, just at different angles?
You should do both! With a dog like Fro though, the more motion you have the faster he will go. But yes, you should be able to send him through the hoop as you remain stationary, it will teach it as more of an independent behavior so that you are able to send him from further away on a course. However, with a slower dog, the longer of a path that the handler takes, generally the faster the dog ends up running. The last thing you want to do on a course with a slow do is to stop your motion.

ETA: Also, I love that you are rewarding him in motion (tossing that treat ahead) as that helps add motivation to slower dogs... don't forget to reward him for coming to your hand as well (send him and have him come back to you for the reward).

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Side note (I didn't read all of this yet since I'm at work now, shhhh) I love that corgi picture behind your table.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Isn't that picture awesome?! Ryan's mom found it on a display at Target and had the people working there call her when they were done with it I actually have two, and they're larger than Frodo

Anywho, did more work today, and tweaked my back cause I'm awesome like that () so instead of running with him at all angles and upping the chance of injuring my back worse, I just worked on doing lead outs (at least I think that's what they're called!). I love how bouncy and happy he is. It makes my day.

http://youtu.be/6SIqQz52d0M

Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

He looks great PW!! Very enthusiastic! One thing I would suggest doing (and I'm working on it right now with Zuma too) is to release him when he looks at the hoop rather than at you. What you end up seeing is that when you line your dog up at the start line, they are looking at their line of travel (ie the first jumps) rather than being super focused on the handler. This will create more obstacle focus and ensure that you know he sees the hoop and will not move past it when released. He is doing a fantastic job of finding the hoop though!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

I started teeter training with Pan yesterday! Also did some beginning handling for push throughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1-3DAWMv54

Running contact training is still at a standstill, waiting on a piece of plywood to make a thinner plank than the one I currently have, plus it's snowing again here, grr.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Twin 2

I figure since we started Agility class I can now post in this thread!

Traveler (and Macky) had their second agility class and it was a blast. Our dogs are awesome.

We started with 2x2 weaves and wobble boards. Traveler hasn't figured out the concept of four feet on the round board (granted it was a smaller circle). He put front feet on and pivoted and then back feet on and pivoted.

Then the instructor took us over to the lowered Aframe and Dogwalk. I think she really wanted to get a feel for what the dogs would do when introduced to the equipment and what she would be dealing with. Well Traveler and Macky launched themselves up them both and thought it was the BEST THING EVER.

She wanted us to just have them going back and forth, gaining confidence and footing. Getting them to turn around while on it and go the other direction and so on. Traveler and Macky have a long history of tree climbing so that was no issue.

I talked to the instructor about contacts (Running/2o20) and she said what she would recommend is really working on him running up and down the lowered boards while working on stopped contacts separately. That way avoiding the creep and get good foundation and footing for the Dogwalk and Aframe.

Then Traveler and Macky had their first introduction to the tunnel. Macky immediately jumped on top of it and walked across the top. Traveler then said "That looks fun!" and followed. But by the end they were getting it.

And to end the class while the instructor was talking Traveler decided it was boring, laid down, rolled over, spread his back legs proudly and started wiggling back and forth on his back grinning like the Loon he is and groaning and making noises. Such an attention *****.

So lots of fun, two confident dogs and stuff to do at home! Yay!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
So lots of fun, two confident dogs and stuff to do at home! Yay!
They're TOO confident, LOL. They were flying around the obstacles and running ON TOP of the tunnels.