Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Water Junkie

Default Food Help

I wasn't sure how to title this thread, but, uhm, are there any foods out there that would be good to try to help control gas? I don't even know if there is such a thing to look for in foods when trying to help keep the gas...under control. But I figured if there was something to look for/stay away from, you guys would know.

Lizzie has, erm, non-stop gas it seems like at times. Any suggestions for foods to try? I feel like there are probably a million I could try, don't know where to start. A ingredient you recommend maybe staying away from?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Canine Caviar has a crapton of probiotics in their food, so that might be worth trying. Fantastic food, pricey though.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Wookie Collie

You could try a probiotic/enzyme supplement or some canned pumpkin. Some dogs do get gassy regardless of diet, it seems.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Remove as many fillers as you can...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 PM
and Spy.

It could be that some aspect of her diet isn't agreeing with her, so changing up her food might not be a bad idea. There was some ingredient that I heard of a while back that is supposed to really help gassy dogs but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me...

ETA: Did you get my FB message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Here's the recipe for the Canine Caviar GF if you are interested. I love it because it is simple.

Duck:
Quote:
Ingredients: Duck Meal, Chickpea, Duck Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Menhaden Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Culture, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Culture, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Culture, Sun-Cured Kelp, FOS (prebiotic), Calcium Proteinate, Sodium Chloride, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Parsley, Fenugreek, Peppermint, Taurine, Selenium, Whole Clove Garlic, Vitamin E, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin C, Papaya, Rose Hips, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin D3, Biotin, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Vitamin B-12, Potassium Proteinate, Folic Acid.
Herring:
Quote:
Ingredients: Herring Meal, Split Peas, Menhaden Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Culture, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Culture, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Culture, Sun-Cured Kelp, FOS (prebiotic), Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Selenium, Fenugreek, Taurine, Vitamin E, Zinc Proteinate, Papaya, Rose Hips, Vitamin C, Niacin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B-12, Folic Acid, Potassium Proteinate.
Venison:
Quote:
ngredients: Venison Meal, Split Peas, Lamb Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Culture, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Culture, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Culture, Sun-Cured Kelp, FOS (prebiotic), Calcium Proteinate, Sodium Chloride, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Parsley, Fenugreek, Peppermint, Taurine, Selenium, Whole Clove Garlic, Vitamin E, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin C, Papaya, Rose Hips, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin D3, Biotin, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Vitamin B-12, Potassium Proteinate, Folic Acid.
Even their grain-in foods are phenomenal, and if they had a protein source that Frodo could handle (they only use Chicken or Lamb), then I'd have no issue feeding those either.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
You could try a probiotic/enzyme supplement or some canned pumpkin. Some dogs do get gassy regardless of diet, it seems.
Yes, I got your PM. Thank you! I have tried canned pumpkin before, and did not notice a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Canine Caviar has a crapton of probiotics in their food, so that might be worth trying. Fantastic food, pricey though.
I will see if we have this in our area. Thanks!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Yes, I got your PM. Thank you! I have tried canned pumpkin before, and did not notice a difference.
If you have some local brands you're curious about, you can PM me, or even PW since she's American and probably sees similar brands as yours.

Yeah, pumpkin's hit or miss with some dogs. It helps my co-worker's dog immensely with his gas and sensitive tummy issues, she actually weaned him off of probiotics and went with pumpkin daily. But most dogs seem to rock the probiotics.

Canine Caviar is an amazing food, I concur!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Water Junkie

Unfortunately, it's not sold in this area.

I might do that, Allie, thank you. Right now, I was looking at Acana and Before Grains. Also keep in mind that she doesn't do well with a fiber content over 3/3.5.

l ~Jennifer~ l